I might have missed something. But I can check my guns working on ground, so it is no button or USB problem. But when in the air the guns dont work anymore. Bombs and rockets release. Any ideas ?

This happens only in the IL2, and maybe i had it in the Stuka once. All other planes dont have the problem.

Edited by Quax

Ther have been occasions where a plane spawns in with no ammunition. And if used R&R guns were not reloaded because the user didnt give enough time for it. From your description, does not appear to be the R&R event. So when you had guns not firing - had you actually checked it prior to take off on that mission? If not then maybe you had an occurence of the no ammo bug and should report it - especially if you have a recording of it. Even better if you still have the mission saved and didnt run another to over write it.

If you had checked prior to take off, I have no idea (unless you tested and ran your ammo out which seems very unlikely).

Sometimes for whatever reason (aircraft type or recent RRR) you need to arm the guns in order for them to fire, even if they worked on the ground.  I don't know if a safety switch gets armed on some aircraft during the startup sequence or what.   But simply mapping a key to the command to arm the guns (or it might be "charge guns", I am AFK right now) solves the problem.  I use LCtrl+LShift+Joystick Trigger Button since its easy to get to in the heat of battle when you are lining up a shot and realize you need to do this.

I checked by a short burst before take-off. So it is not the no-ammo bug. Or maybe the bug engages at a later point ?

If it is a bug, i could report it in the bug section, but I wasn´t sure, wether it is a "feature", and i don´t know the parameters.

@Stoopy: I will check that.

Update: I couldn´t find the problem in the Quick Mission Editor. Maybe it only happens in MP ?

Edited by Quax

Something like this has happened to me quite a few times on the MP Finnish server.  The guns sound like they are firing, but no rounds are fired and no damage is caused to the target.  It is not a good thing when you are attacking the enemy, lol, and I have been caught out badly by this in the past.  I don't use the R&R function so it is not related to that.  I had assumed that it was a known bug and therefore I have not highlighted the issue.

P.S.  Did you get the gun sound.  I get the gun sound but nothing is actually fired.

Happy landings,

Talisman

Edited by ACG_Talisman
2 hours ago, Quax said:

I checked by a short burst before take-off. So it is not the no-ammo bug. Or maybe the bug engages at a later point ?

If it is a bug, i could report it in the bug section, but I wasn´t sure, wether it is a "feature", and i don´t know the parameters.

There never ever has been a "no ammo bug". It has entirely to do with how the mission maker configured and then saved the mission.

• 2 weeks later...

Today several others on MP did experience the same bug:  guns didnt work in the air. I am sure ammo was loaded, as it did shoot before take off.

It has nothing to do with the aircraft type. It was the same on different types, allies and german. Never happened in SP so far.

I didn't get the gun sound.

Edited by Quax
5 hours ago, Quax said:

Today several others on MP did experience the same bug:  guns didnt work in the air. I am sure ammo was loaded, as it did shoot before take off.

It has nothing to do with the aircraft type. It was the same on different types, allies and german. Never happened in SP so far.

I didn't get the gun sound.

It's a problem with whoever designed the mission - not a bug with the game.

Have experienced  what Talisman  has said,  gun firing sound,  no tracers and no ammo hitting anything.  I was flying,  then landed, grabbed a  new AC,  same thing  firing sound on runways,  no1 could see tracer on ground from the AF.  The ammo counters were spinning though..I have had this happen a couple of times on 2 or 3 different mp servers

After some more research: The fire button on the stick does not move. The default "space bar" does not move the button either.

After launch the button moves, but suddenly during the flight, it just doesn´t react anymore. 

The fire button and the space bar is set for "fire all". After a tip on MP, I mapped the fire button to all "fire group 1,2,3". And this resolved the problem. So it is a bug related to the "fire all" setting and it can be resolved with the workaround.