Question for the CPU enthusiast

On 4/6/2021 at 9:01 AM, chiliwili69 said:

Here you can buy the 5900X: https://www.pccomponentes.com/amd-ryzen-9-5900x-37-ghz

This is the best online pc parts shop in Spain. I believe they dispatch to EU.

But If you go for the 11900K we will be very interested to know how it goes.

They do dispatch to EU but not Switzerland which is outside.

Anyway I have now decided I stay with Intel one more time. It is a love affair that lasts since 40 years. So many common memories. Nearly 50 units custom built.

But if I am disappointed and if things do not improve, then 2022 may be the year of a change.

On 4/5/2021 at 5:13 PM, IckyATLAS said:

If we look strictly at gaming it still seems that sure Ryzen 5900x and 5950X are king, but the 11900K is close to very close behind with what I would say a really small number of frames.

5 or 10 frames on 240 or more frankly I do not care much here. What I care is availability of the 5900X and 5950x CPUs that are nowhere to be found. I am fed up waiting for months now.

So upgrading from my 9900K/Asus Z390 board will be to a 11900K with a Z590 Board, this because my store has the 11900K on stock. As simple as that.

You would imagine that for Adobe Photoshop that I use often, the 5950x with half more cores would be on top. But on that bench the 11900K (stock) came first.

AMD will wait for me for the next gen. If Intel is not able to keep up then sure Zen4 by next year will definitively kill the Goliath and I may change then.

Do you think it is really worth upgrading from a Z390 9900k setup to a Z590 11900k ?

If it is that is something I might consider, though I usually only upgrade motherboard/cpu every 4-5 years.

This setup is only little over two years old.

I would hate to go through the trouble for a very small modest gain.

19 hours ago, dburne said:

Do you think it is really worth upgrading from a Z390 9900k setup to a Z590 11900k ?

If it is that is something I might consider, though I usually only upgrade motherboard/cpu every 4-5 years.

First I love building rigs from scratch (sure I built nearly 50 in my lifetime), and I do this on a two to three years rate. This is now very little compared to a time where I used to build rigs for the whole family and were five in house all computer savy. Now they all have laptops, are not in house anyway, and I am the only one left with BIG TOWER PC.

The reason is that I have two places. So I build a new rig every two-three years and then the older rig is moved to my secondary place, and after that it is given to a charity or similar (Up to now about 25 complete rigs went to charities). So the lifetime of my rigs is in total about four to six years in house, and their life continues later on. I have still a rig running in my house that is about 10 years old.

But here I have taken the bet that the 12th Gen CPU from Intel will be the real contender and will be compatible with the Z590 board. Which means that if Intel comes back with a real good 12th Gen CPU it will just be a swap, and the lifetime of my rig will be long indeed. 

The risk here is if the 12th GEN CPU is either bad or good but not compatible. Then I would have lost my bet partly (have to change board) or entirely.

6 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

First I love building rigs from scratch (sure I built nearly 50 in my lifetime), and I do this on a two to three years rate. This is now very little compared to a time where I used to build rigs for the whole family and were five in house all computer savy. Now they all have laptops, are not in house anyway, and I am the only one left with BIG TOWER PC.

The reason is that I have two places. So I build a new rig every two-three years and then the older rig is moved to my secondary place, and after that it is given to a charity or similar (Up to now about 25 complete rigs went to charities). So the lifetime of my rigs is in total about four to six years in house, and their life continues later on. I have still a rig running in my house that is about 10 years old.

But here I have taken the bet that the 12th Gen CPU from Intel will be the real contender and will be compatible with the Z590 board. Which means that if Intel comes back with a real good 12th Gen CPU it will just be a swap, and the lifetime of my rig will be long indeed. 

The risk here is if the 12th GEN CPU is either bad or good but not compatible. Then I would have lost my bet partly (have to change board) or entirely.

I gave a look at the 11900K and 11700K benchmarks on the SYNVander bench table and the GPU Passmark is on paar with the 5950X.

The 11700 is even higher but it is overclocked at 5.2 Ghz, and the frequency of the 11900 is not given. 

For me what counts is at a 4K resolution but here we do not have it to compare. Once my rig will be in operations I will try to do the benchmark in 4K and see.

Generally in 4K (60 Hz monitor) with all the visual bells and whistles it is the GPU that matters more than the CPU. I do not do VR, so at this point in time being around 100 FPS (or more) all the time in 4K with the best possible image quality is what matters after all.  FPS games and VR may require high framerates but for IL2 its an overkill.

The rig will not be used as a HPC or production, server PC in which case I would have gone directly  for a  double socket Threadripper or Epyc, but this is another topic.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

Dude - Intel has not made significant gains worth the price since Sandy Bridge/socket 1155. From Ivy Bridge onward they were only a contender because in effect there was no other contender. Ryzen has changed this.

Any bet on Intel at this juncture is quite foolish honesty.

Edited by Gambit21

No way that 12th gen will be compatible with z590. They are moving on to a completely different architecture, 10nm, DDR5 and PCI-E Gen 5 on top of it. And every rumour points to a new socket (and different physical size for the CPU chip).

I do think Intel could take back the lead (just looking at what they are managing to pull off with 14nm now) but don't expect things to be smooth at launch. The first DDR5 kits will be expensive and struggle vs top of the line DDR4. And it will take some time before apps can really benefit from the "small cores" that Intel is going with (if it ever happens, that actually looks like a risky bet on Intel's part). You should 100% expect bugs and weird issues at launch, and probably disappointing performance before software adapts to this new arch. 

Edited by biglouis

Intel is out of the game until they are on what they call their 7 nm node. Doubtful that there are ever parts for LGA 1700. The current 10 nm process node is just not competitive and the recent launch of Ice Lake-SP that should have never seen the light of day illustrates that. I have my doubts that Alder Lake parts will really catch up with the competition, but at least that is something you can expect to plug in LGA 1700 mainboards. But by all means, it is no part that I see of any use, ever, in a flight sim rig. It is just not designed for that.

On 4/7/2021 at 10:10 AM, dburne said:

Not worth it. You still have a kick ass machine. 

There are tests of two 11th Gen Intel chips in the benchmark thread and while there's some improvement, is too marginal to be worth the hassle. 

Basically, the 11900k managed to match the six core 5600x, but is still weaker than the bigger ryzen chips. 

Intel needs a new node to be worth it. 14nm is just too inefficient for new architecture.

You got the best Intel 14nm cpu. After that it was just more of the same.

I remember when you got it. I was also looking for a new computer at the time. I just had an emergency and the money had to go for a new engine. 

9900k was a monster at the time and it's still a solid cpu. 

• Like 1