EAW (European Air War) - now available on GOG.

• 2 weeks later...

It is an eyesore compared to what we know today, and the realism of... well, everyrthing, has improved greatly. Still...  it was wonderful for the day (I still hum the main menu song now and then). Hundreds of planes, really long missions due to a huge seamless european map, a colossal realism improvement after earlier sims (aces over europe was just a few years older, right? 1942 tpaw wasnt much older too).

This one left a mark. Honestly if it had heavies I would be revisiting it again today.

Edited by danielprates
30 minutes ago, danielprates said:

This one left a mark. Honestly if it had heavies I would be revisiting it again today.

You might want to look here 😉:

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4502725/uaw160-2020-downloads#Post4502725

-- massive amounts of add-ons/aircraft/theaters, etc - and yes, the bombers are there.

(simhq is the place to peruse for EAW items if you are interested)

On 2/21/2021 at 6:22 PM, Redwo1f said:

You might want to look here 😉:

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4502725/uaw160-2020-downloads#Post4502725

-- massive amounts of add-ons/aircraft/theaters, etc - and yes, the bombers are there.

(simhq is the place to peruse for EAW items if you are interested)

Interesting! Thanks. 

I took a look.   Many pics but surprisingly little in the cockpits.

Ha wow! what a throwback! such nostalgia 😄 I think European Air War was my second flight sim after Flying Corps...

One thing I really liked about EAW was the backdrops in between missions... really added to the atmosphere; seeing inside the officers huts, being under the camo nets before the briefings and peering into the hangars... watching the cigarette burn slowly from the ashtray in the foreground, or the fan on the table blow around while you heard aircraft pass by in the distance... and the echo and sound of ground crew and tools.

That made it feel like something special, especially considering for a game from 1998!

Nice to see it living on... even though surpassed.

snap745.jpg.a1999b5b79387f3bb7b5aa3208b723e6.jpg

11 hours ago, Aurora_Stealth said:

Ha wow! what a throwback! such nostalgia 😄 I think European Air War was my second flight sim after Flying Corps...

One thing I really liked about EAW was the backdrops in between missions... really added to the atmosphere; seeing inside the officers huts, being under the camo nets before the briefings and peering into the hangars... watching the cigarette burn slowly from the ashtray in the foreground, or the fan on the table blow around while you heard aircraft pass by in the distance... and the echo and sound of ground crew and tools.

That made it feel like something special, especially considering for a game from 1998!

Nice to see it living on... even though surpassed.

snap745.jpg.a1999b5b79387f3bb7b5aa3208b723e6.jpg

Yeah me too. It seems little by today's standards, but back then it really brought immersion and ambiance. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, danielprates said:

Yeah me too. It seems little by today's standards, but back then it really brought immersion and ambiance. 

By today's standards it still possesses superior immersion.

Flight model, graphics, ballistics, damage model...no of course it can't compare.

User interface, immersion however? Fantastic...nothing else has come close.

• Upvote 2
23 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

By today's standards it still possesses superior immersion.

Flight model, graphics, ballistics, damage model...no of course it can't compare.

User interface, immersion however? Fantastic...nothing else has come close.

In fact one of my first memories of the original il-2 is that it had only that faux-vintage intro video followed by nothing but the bland menu emulating aviation lights and switches. I remember thinking "what, is that all?". EAW got me used to something better.

Then of course I saw the actual sim and forgot all about that. Hehe

Edited by danielprates
5 minutes ago, danielprates said:

In fact one of my first memories of the original il-2 is that it had only that faux-vintage intro video followed by nothing but the bland menu emulating aviation lights and switches. I remember thinking "what, is that all?". EAW got me used to something better.

Then of course I saw the actual sim and forgot all about that. Hehe

I had a similar experience.

You can't expect a Russian developer to be in touch with, or care about implementing that "Americana" sort of 1940's feel...but EAW sure hit it out of the park in that department. However even with regard to the Russian experience, (which is how the old IL2 started) immersing the player into the war environment etc just wasn't there in any shape or form. The trend has been "here's what it's like to fly a WWII fighter"....what Oleg and Loft missed was "here's what it's like to fly a WWII fighter IN WWII"

Jason get's it, but he's stuck with many of the legacy decisions that were made before he took over.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I was flying Janes WWII Fighters, never got into EAW, but it certainly had a cult following at the time.

Janes was like a sad little turd compared to EAW...lol.

I played that thing for a total of 12 minutes, then uninstalled and went back to EAW.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I played that thing for a total of 12 minutes, then uninstalled and went back to EAW.

Like hell it was. You missed out.

EAW was great, but so was Janes.

9 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

what Oleg and Loft missed was "here's what it's like to fly a WWII fighter IN WWII"

Jason get's it, but he's stuck with many of the legacy decisions that were made before he took over.

That’s the bit I’m always looking for.  I want a game to focus on the feeling of being a war flyer and less of an e-sport competitor.  

Edited by Feathered_IV
2 hours ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Like hell it was. You missed out.

EAW was great, but so was Janes.

Nah - I tried it - hated it.

Glad you liked the turd 💩 

😛

11 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

75488050.jpg

8 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Nah - I tried it - hated it.

Glad you liked the turd 💩 

😛

Yeah - you tried it for all of 12 minutes.

I wasn’t particularly impressed with EAW for the first 12 minutes  either - glad I stuck with it and didn’t draw the same wrong conclusion you did with Janes 😀

3 hours ago, CUJO_1970 said:

Yeah - you tried it for all of 12 minutes.

I wasn’t particularly impressed with EAW for the first 12 minutes  either - glad I stuck with it and didn’t draw the same wrong conclusion you did with Janes 😀

It was actually more than that, but listen it’s your right to love a turd...don’t let me or anyone else tell you differently.

Horses for courses as they say Let your turd flag fly brotha!

I jest of course 

Edited by Gambit21
On 2/25/2021 at 10:06 PM, Feathered_IV said:

That’s the bit I’m always looking for.  I want a game to focus on the feeling of being a war flyer and less of an e-sport competitor.  

Yep