Nice. You are probably the first person to try that with IL-2. As far as I am aware. Let us know how it goes.

I saw you used the Rift in the past, Did you use any other VR headset with IL-2?

Just curious, how much does cost "the thing"?

39 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Pekný. Ste pravdepodobne prvý, kto to vyskúšal s IL-2. Pokiaľ viem. Dajte nám vedieť, ako to chodí.

Videl som, že si v minulosti používal Rift. Používali ste s IL-2 aj iné VR slúchadlá?

Len zvedavé, koľko stojí „vec“?

Hi, I haven't tried them yet because the UPSs have arrived and it's cold outside -14, so I have to let them slow down slowly so that no condensation forms.
I used, and still have, a Pimax 5k +
The price is astronomical: D 8200.- € including Display port and adapter, hand and eye tracking, 
Holidays abroad at this time probarly hard, mistresses no longer, so why not make yourself happy.🙂

Edited by Helo
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Very interested to hear your thoughts! I am curious did you consider the Varjo VR-3? It doesn't have the same FOV but I am quite eager to hear some kind of review on the Varjo VR-3 and the sharpness.

On 12. 2. 2021 at 18:45, TX-Zigrat said:

Veľký záujem počuť vaše myšlienky! Som zvedavý, či ste uvažovali o Varjo VR-3? Nemá to isté FOV, ale som dosť nedočkavý, keď začujem akési recenzie týkajúce sa Varjo VR-3 a ostrosti.

So I just tested the XTAL 8K. The image, the functions, the software are simply fatnastic. In IL2, this works without the slightest problem without distortion or chopping artifacts. The price is also fantastic, but the boys from the Czech Republic who made this did a really perfect job. Technology giants simply sleep and dream of their uniqueness. Who can afford it so I definitely recommend. Everything works without the slightest problem of eye tracking, hands are very good. If someone builds a normal cockpit, they throw away money. It is enough if you invest in XTAL 8K

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, Helo said:

So I just tested the XTAL 8K. The image, the functions, the software are simply fatnastic. In IL2, this works without the slightest problem without distortion or chopping artifacts. The price is also fantastic, but the boys from the Czech Republic who made this did a really perfect job. Technology giants simply sleep and dream of their uniqueness. Who can afford it so I definitely recommend. Everything works without the slightest problem of eye tracking, hands are very good. If someone builds a normal cockpit, they throw away money. It is enough if you invest in XTAL 8K

This sounds very cool, but what exactly does eye tracking accomplish?

Does it use make use of foveated rendering?

6 hours ago, So_ein_Feuerball said:

This sounds very cool, but what exactly does eye tracking accomplish?

Does it use make use of foveated rendering?

Yes. Eye tracking for optimisation of GPU usage and data gathering (2x 1280x800@110Hz cameras)

I had an Xtal for a while. I had to return it because I use my gear with Air Cadets. Those kids are 12 to 18 and their heads were just too small for the Xtal. Its weight was also an issue for those small heads.

I have the Varjo VR-3 on order. Should get it in March. I was allowed to buy one because I work with Air Cadets and I use the gear to prepare kids who sometimes go on to get their pilot's license. It's not for consumers as you may or may not know.

I will post my impressions once I get the VR-3. IL-2 is one of the many sims I use to train the cadets.

On 2/18/2021 at 12:25 PM, Brzi_Joe said:

Helo, can you please after some time with XTAL give your impression in comparison with Pimax 5k+, thank you. I wish if XTAL made lenses for Pimax, that would be excellent HMD within achivable price :)

Having had an Xtal for a while I can tell you it was amazing. The image was really clear and without distortion. The only down side it the weight. I used it with some kids at my cadet unit and it was just too heavy and would not fit well on their small head. But it's an amazing piece of gear and the company that makes it is top notch. For flight simmers who want nothing but the best headset with the widest field of view possible today, they can't be beat.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, US213_Picard said:

Chvíľu som mal Xtal. Musel som ho vrátiť, pretože používam výstroj s Air Cadets. Tieto deti majú 12 až 18 rokov a ich hlavy boli na Xtal príliš malé. Jeho váha bola problémom aj pre tie malé hlavy.

Varjo VR-3 mám na objednávku. Malo by to dostať v marci. Bolo mi umožnené kúpiť si jeden, pretože pracujem s Air Cadets a pomocou výstroja pripravujem deti, ktoré si niekedy idú vybaviť pilotný preukaz. Nie je to pre spotrebiteľov, ako možno viete, ale možno nie.

Keď dostanem VR-3, zverejním svoje dojmy. IL-2 je jedným z mnohých simov, ktoré používam na výcvik kadetov.

You are right, they are big and they have their weight. That's why I put them on the SU 27 flight helmet, so the weight is distributed and comfort also increases.

On 18. 2. 2021 at 17:25, Brzi_Joe said:

Helo, môžete prosím po nejakom čase s XTAL urobiť dojem v porovnaní s Pimax 5k +, ďakujem. Prial by som si, keby XTAL vyrobil šošovky pre Pimax, to by bol vynikajúci HMD za prijateľnú cenu :)

It can't be compared to Pimax. This is a completely different class. I think XTAL lenses are the basis of the amazing picture in VR 8k. Although the other elements in XTAL are perfectly redesigned. Perhaps if XTAL reduced its luxury full equipment to mechanical IPD goggles while maintaining image quality, it could be a very significant commercial success. Pimax could wrap it up now.

• Like 1

Can't wait to hear about the Varjo VR-3. Its price is less than half of XTAL and getting closer to something I might buy. I have the Quest2 and for $300 it is amazing but I can't help feeling like I would gladly pay 5x as much and you should be able to have much much better quality with that kind of price bump. To me a sweet spot would be:

Oculus Quest 2 [including inside-out tracking, and ability to use virtual desktop), but with Varjo VR-3 context displays (2880 x 2720 per eye), a "Halo" headstrap, and XTAL style lenses -- all for $1500

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey y'all!

I asked my Canadian supplier for some news and he replied saying Varjo told him the first batch of headsets is shipping in April. Well, that's kind of annoying since there was all kinds of news on the Interweb about Varjo shipping their first headsets early March.

I'm a patient guy when it comes to ordering tech. As long as I'm kept up to date. For example, I waited months for my Bravo Throttle. But Honeycomb Aeronautical kept us all in the loop the whole way on their Facebook page. We knew exactly when our gear would ship and when we would receive it.

Now I'm told Varjo's support is really good. So at least once I have the device I will be able to count on great support. But I guess their manufacturing team is less than transparent. I'm not dissing the company. I don't know them well enough. I'm just reporting on my personal experience. If they came right out and said, it will take another month, I would quietly wait because I would know exactly what to expect.

Oh well. Back to waiting patiently another 2 to 3 weeks. 

Picard out.

Don't worry man, it can't beat Pimax - in shipping times!

2-3 weeks Vs 2-3 years, Pimax No.1!:megaphone:

Oh wait, dang, that's not how that works :fool:

Eagerly awaiting your impressions man! :)

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

I meant to let you all know what my plans are once I get my Varjo VR-3.

1) I will do some measurements of the FoVs.

2) I will see if the focus display works with IL2. I'm not sure it will. The headset can work in native mode. This allows the focus displays to work. For example, other flight simulators who I shall not name here, do support native mode. IL2, is not supported natively by Varjo. However, OPEN XR is now supported by Varjo and IL2. So maybe the focus displays will work. Either way, I will make comparisons between sims to see how they stack up for clarity.

3) I'm interested to see how Varjo's foveated rendering will help lessen the load on my rig. On RoadtoVR, the website mentioned relative resolving power of the VR-3 at 9.7 megapixel per eye compared to the G2 at 4.7 megapixels. Without foveated rendering, I think most sims would be unusable at 9.7 megapixels. It will be interesting to see how I make out with my 2080TI.

4) Another very interesting aspect of the VR-3 is comfort. The lenses, the active cooling, the automatic IPD and the 3 point head band are apparently all going to make wearing the headset for hours a bit more comfortable.

I will be reporting on testing all kinds of other things for that headset. Like the hand tracking for example. So stay tuned. Once I receive it, I will put the headset through it's paces. Hopefully it ships soon because I'm just chomping at the bit. And the bit is fast disintegrating under the constant chomping.   lol

Picard out.

• Like 1

Maybe I tried to put 2 and 2 together without thinking about it enough. Since IL2 supports Steam VR, and since Steam VR now supports Open XR, does that not mean IL2 supports Open XR indirectly? 

I'm probably wrong. I'm no expert.

No. IL2 will be using SteamVR (which is, for all intents and purposes OpenVR). OpenXR will not be involved. If IL2 supported OpenXR then it would use Varjo's implementation of it directly, much like would happen if you play MS Flight Simulator which is an OpenXR title.

Well, turns out I had my APIs confused. It's Open VR that is needed for support of the focus displays. Mike from Virtual Reality Oasis bought a used Varjo VR-1 and he used it in a video to show how it works with Half-Life Alyx. The focus display worked as advertised.

So it looks like I'm good with IL2! Sweet.  :)

That's for support. You have to remember. This headset is for businesses. And I like that I'm paying for support. I use many simulator packages that I use to teach the Air Cadets at my unit. I expect to have some issues from time to time. Since I'm paying for the support, I'm expecting good results. It puts me in a position of power when dealing with support is the point I'm trying to make. No choice to pay it anyway. So might as well take full advantage of it.

Well boys and girls, Varjo pushed the date of shipping back again. Now they are saying end of April. I have to tell ya. I'm not impressed with their delivery promises. My guess is they shipped all their stocks to their big customers and little old me is left with nothing. I say that because, on their website, they had an announcement that they had started shipping headsets on March 4th. That was a month ago. And they told my supplier I was in the first batch going out. First batch my you know what.

If it doesn't get shipped this month I told my supplier to cancel my order.

The saga continues.

I was able to get some more detailed answers about why it's taken so long for my VR-3 to ship. Varjo has been shipping XR-3s. Not VR-3s. They just started production of the VR-3s apparently. Wish my supplier had been told that. My direct contact at Varjo clarified this. When people are told what the situation really is, it makes everything fall into place and people like me can rest easy.

Back to waiting I go. But now I have a contact at Varjo that understands why I was frustrated and he's willing to help expedite shipment. All is now good in the world.   lol

Picard out.

• Like 1

Good news! My headset will ship this Tuesday April 13! It's been a long 4 months of waiting. But I'm sure it will have been worth it.

I will post my impressions soon after I receive it. I have a list of 35 things I will be considering. Some easy to measure and some that are based more on impressions. Like comfort for example.

Stay tuned

Picard out!

• Like 1

Just out of curiosity, why did you select VR3 over XR3? From all I’ve seen, what I’d like to have is the XR, though not at that price!

I have to say though, if there were two “money-no-object” things I’d buy, one would be the XR. Their “green screen” camera overlay is out of this world. 

Edited by kissTheSky
  • Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, US213_Picard said:

The price was the only reason. It's quite a bit more.

Oh and keep in mind. Monopoly money, aka the Canadian dollar, is adding to my total bill. For me it amounts to just over $6K CAD for the VR-3. Ouch!

That is not too far off what I paid for my first brand new car...

:o:

1 hour ago, US213_Picard said:

VR gaming is my only vice. Well, maybe not. My only hobby! Well maybe not.  lol

I resemble that comment!

Pricing is really weird that their exchange rate between USD and Euro is 1:1 but it seems they’re actually applying forex rates for any other currencies 😳