Jump to content

Stable 90fps on Reverb G2 actually achievable?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Hanu said:

Sorry for the stupid n00b question, but as in-game fps counter shows stablile 45 fps in-flight, even I take all details to minimum... Does it just tell you 90 fps that way, or do I have to fork some settings in VR?

 

I've seen 90 fps in main menu though.

 

If it is smooth and you are satisfied with the image, turn the fps counter off.

Makes life much easier.

;)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

 

It means that your VR headset is running with reprojection on which always locks the framerate to 45, which it does on auto setting as soon as you drop below 90 fps. You can disable reprojection in theory but you will get stutters with changing framerate. I personally think if you can hold 85fps 99% of the time, reprojection off is better, in all other cases I would use reprojection. But this is very much subjective, other people have different opinions

 

Thank you for a solid explanation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Costa said:

Forgive me for being such a pain.
According to your opinion, and depending on the budget.
What would be better, a Ryzen 7 5800X paired with RTX3090 or a Ryzen 9 5900X with a RTX3080?

 

As always, thank you very much for your help.
15(Span.)/JG51 Costa.

 
I don't see much gain with the ryzen 9.
Single thread performance is king in sims, you can see the scores here:
CPU Single thread performance

As you can see the 5800x actually beats the 5900x! Likely this is due to errors in measurement (the two should be roughly equal) but could be due to the 5800x being better when it comes to heat.

On the other hand, with GPUs, go for the highest you can reasonably afford. The 3090 is a decent step up for high resolution (i.e. reverb g2) gaming and will show a decent increase in performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much peregrinefor the information.

It has been very helpful in helping me make a decision.
I will definitely go for the Ryzen 7 5800X and go for the first of the two GPUs I can get my hands on, if it can be the RTX3090 all the better, but if not an RTX3080 I think it will also be fine as I felt very comfortable testing my brother's Reverb G2 at 60Mhz on a GTX 2080Ti.

 

Saludos.

15(Span.)/JG51 Costa

 

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Costa
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Costa said:

Thank you very much peregrinefor the information.

It has been very helpful in helping me make a decision.
I will definitely go for the Ryzen 7 5800X and go for the first of the two GPUs I can get my hands on, if it can be the RTX3090 all the better, but if not an RTX3080 I think it will also be fine as I felt very comfortable testing my brother's Reverb G2 at 60Mhz on a GTX 2080Ti.

 

Saludos.

15(Span.)/JG51 Costa

 

Hi whichever Ryzen you choose make sure you pair it with good memory preferably samsung b die , if you check the following benchmarks you will see most of the top results are with good memory and with tight timings. I spent quite some time tuning my memory and the results for my 5600x are up with the 5800x and 5900x.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gJmnz_nVxI6_dG_UYNCCpZVK2-f8NBy-y1gia77Hu_k . Hope this helps

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thankyoy very much  shirazjohn.

 

What do you think about this option?
Gigabyte AORUS RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 4400MHz (PC4-35200) CL19 - DDR4 Memory
If I'm not mistaken it gives a speed of 8.6ns
As I understand AMD works better at high frequencies.

 

Saludos.

15(Span.)/JG51 Costa

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Costa
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi with my limited experience with memory overclocking / tuning I found above 4000 mhz had a negative impact on my benchmark results. For me the sweet spot was 4000 mhz but others seem to find 3800 mhz better. There is probably someone better qualified to give you advice on individual brands of memory but Gskill seems to give good results in the SYN_Vander benchmark test. I purchased   TeamGroup DDR4 3600 CL 14-15-15-35 1.45v 2x 8 Gb which if a bit overpriced has given me good results. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2021 at 8:57 PM, montag said:

How important is the RAM? I have a 5600x and 3090, but ram is 3200.

It is very important, as the Uncore Frequency (simple Google search to what it does) runs on half the clock of the RAM. So yours is running at merely 1600MHz now. It's responsible for  Ideally, it should be running at 2000MHz, so you'd need 4000MHz RAM - or good 3600MHz RAM of Samsung B-DIE that you can push to 3800 or 4000.

On 2/19/2021 at 5:36 PM, shirazjohn said:

Hi with my limited experience with memory overclocking / tuning I found above 4000 mhz had a negative impact on my benchmark results. For me the sweet spot was 4000 mhz but others seem to find 3800 mhz better. There is probably someone better qualified to give you advice on individual brands of memory but Gskill seems to give good results in the SYN_Vander benchmark test. I purchased   TeamGroup DDR4 3600 CL 14-15-15-35 1.45v 2x 8 Gb which if a bit overpriced has given me good results. 

Hey mate, these are Single Rank modules, which means you'll lose between 5-10% performance which you could have, in most cases (9 out of 10 B550/X570 boards).

On 2/18/2021 at 3:31 PM, dburne said:

 

If it is smooth and you are satisfied with the image, turn the fps counter off.

Makes life much easier.

;)

Adé to science, horré to feelings! The new science, jk :gamer:

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Hey mate, these are Single Rank modules, which means you'll lose between 5-10% performance which you could have, in most cases (9 out of 10 B550/X570 boards).

Hi Fenris i have to admit these we're a bit of an impulse purchase I'm afraid and i hadn't realized they we're single rank at the time. I will have to put this down to experience or lack of it. Havin said that i am happy with the results in the SYN_Vander benchmark. 

A new gpu is what i really need but i can't justify the crazy prices at the moment even if i could get one.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, if yu are saying, that RTX3080 can do 90fps on G2 at about 60% SS (should be something like 2400x2400x2 pixels) on ultra preset with some tweaking and compromises, what kind of AA are you talking about in this case? Is it 4xFXAA or 4xMSAA or even 8xMSAA???

 

 

Edited by CSW_Hot_Dog
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CSW_Hot_Dog said:

Hi, if yu are saying, that RTX3080 can do 90fps on G2 at about 60% SS (should be something like 2400x2400x2 pixels) on ultra preset with some tweaking and compromises, what kind of AA are you talking about in this case? Is it 4xFXAA or 4xMSAA or even 8xMSAA???

 

 

 Cannot directly answer your question as I have a 3090 + 5800x CPU and am absolutely wringing the neck out of my RAM but i find (running G2 at 100% SS):

1. MSAA x2 is the best that I can have set but that actually does a really good job of addressing the shimmering and still allows frame rates of 85 and above in semi complex missions i.e. 6 bombers and 3 attack fighters in heavy cloud.

2. My biggest compromise is having to run clouds on low

 

I have experimented with 4xFXAA but did not observe any difference between that and just running the G2 at 100% SS so did not see any benefit to FXAA at G2 native resolution.

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
added CPU detail
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the answear,

 

for me, 4xFXAA was great improvement on Reverb G1 over no AA, with that shimmering ofcourse. But i was on resolution something like 1700x1700x2 because of my GTX980ti. MSAA is ofcourse much nicer, but with huge impact on FPS, while 4xFXAA has almost no impact on FPS. 

 

It is possible, that with high SS like yours 100% on G2, which is something like 3050x3050x2, FXAA has little impact on picture quality, while with low SS like 50% or even less it has huge impact on picture quality...

 

Another question please, if I may, when FPS drops in 90Hz mode from 90, to lets say 80 or 70, is it really noticable, or we can live with that? Because with Reverb G1, it seemed, that it doesnt matter if FPS didnt hit full refresh rate of 90Hz, almost like G1 has sometking like G-Sync/Free-Sync implemented. I know it has not, but i almost feel like that... 

 

Someone said, that it doesn matter, if he run 90Hz with 60fps or 60Hz with 60fps on G1, which is actualy quite exactly, what It feeled to me, but withou possibility to try 90fps with my poor rig...

 

 

Edited by CSW_Hot_Dog
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CSW_Hot_Dog said:

 

 

Another question please, if I may, when FPS drops in 90Hz mode from 90, to lets say 80 or 70, is it really noticable, or we can live with that? Because with Reverb G1, it seemed, that it doesnt matter if FPS didnt hit full refresh rate of 90Hz, almost like G1 has sometking like G-Sync/Free-Sync implemented. I know it has not, but i almost feel like that... 

 

Someone said, that it doesn matter, if he run 90Hz with 60fps or 60Hz with 60fps on G1, which is actualy quite exactly, what It feeled to me, but withou possibility to try 90fps with my poor rig...

 

 

 

When I get a chance (not today) I will fly a mission with clouds on Ultra as well as retaining MSAA x2. That will give me a better chance of experiencing significant stutters etc and giving you a informed response.

 

Apart from approaching large cities I have not really noticed the frame drops as I am generally in attack mode and focussing on hitting a target or avoiding debris if I have been successful.

 

I did try running at 60 Hz and it did not work for me especially in low level ground attack scenarios where flying over heavily forested scenery appeared to stutter. Was much smoother letting the system try and reach 90Hz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, whitav8 said:

What do you think of this memory for my 5Ghz 9700K? I currently have 3200Mhz CL18 memory

G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-32GTRS

DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)

Timing 16-16-16-36

CAS Latency 16

Voltage 1.35V

 

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232903

It is more the AMD CPU's that benefit from faster RAM, for an Intel CPU I would say that your existing RAM was Ok. You would be better off putting the money towards a faster GPU rather than replacing your RAM. You do not specify what GPU you a running so my last comment is somewhat generic.

 

The current crop of Intel CPU's struggle with the resolution that is ideal for the G2 so unless Rocket Lake exceeds performance expectations at a good price you may need to wait for the next Gen Intel CPU's (After RL).

 

On 2/28/2021 at 10:34 AM, CSW_Hot_Dog said:

 

 

Another question please, if I may, when FPS drops in 90Hz mode from 90, to lets say 80 or 70, is it really noticable, or we can live with that? Because with Reverb G1, it seemed, that it doesnt matter if FPS didnt hit full refresh rate of 90Hz, almost like G1 has sometking like G-Sync/Free-Sync implemented. I know it has not, but i almost feel like that...

 

So................  I upped my cloud setting to Ultra (from Low) and it cost me about 25 - 28 fps. This brought me down to a quite consistent 60 fps when flying in heavy cloud. 

It was not a slide show or jerky but, for me personally, it was somewhat annoying. This was with motion smoothing turned off.

 

Really think that it depends on each individual's tolerance for lower refresh frequencies and I guess for quite awhile, back in the day, we only had 60 Hz displays.

 

I will blame it for flying into the back of an exploding bomber but deep down I know it was pilot er......... err..........  erra?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still dialling in my new 5800x -- I bought the same RAM kit and motherboard as @SCG_Fenris_Wolf (MSI MAG x570) but when I naively toggled it up to 4,000mhz it just didn't work and needed a clear-CMOS. I'm a newb when it comes to Ryzen stuff though, am coming from Intel. Any good suggestions / guides on memory OC for the 5800x?

 

(btw, the 2D SYN_Vander is getting 123 FPS even without any tuning so I'm already 20% better than my 8086K @ 5.0ghz....)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I'm still dialling in my new 5800x -- I bought the same RAM kit and motherboard as @SCG_Fenris_Wolf (MSI MAG x570) but when I naively toggled it up to 4,000mhz it just didn't work and needed a clear-CMOS. I'm a newb when it comes to Ryzen stuff though, am coming from Intel. Any good suggestions / guides on memory OC for the 5800x?

 

(btw, the 2D SYN_Vander is getting 123 FPS even without any tuning so I'm already 20% better than my 8086K @ 5.0ghz....)

Hello Alonso,

 

I would suggest to use fast values from ryzen dram calculator for samsung B-die, revision A3/A2/B2, rank 2, 2 DIMM modules, frequency 3800 Mhz - I should be a good start. Just fill all the suggested values in your BIOS.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, thermoregulator said:

Hello Alonso,

 

I would suggest to use fast values from ryzen dram calculator for samsung B-die, revision A3/A2/B2, rank 2, 2 DIMM modules, frequency 3800 Mhz - I should be a good start. Just fill all the suggested values in your BIOS.

Exactly. Then check if your Uncore can go to 2000MHz. Then go from there @Alonzo , loosen the timings a bit and push it to 4000MHz.

 

I rewired my Reset-Button to the clear-CMOS jumper. That way, if the system remains unbootable, I could just pull power and hold Reset für 15 seconds.

 

Always save your last settings in the BIOS. You can then reload them and soften them, to have it boot next time. Also, disable Fast Boot (regarding Memory) and let it try 10 times instead of 2-4 (which is usually default).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Any good suggestions / guides on memory OC for the 5800x?

Congrats for your 5800X.

 

I was trying to write like a guide here, but I didn´t go further since I am quite happy with the current performance.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/68087-overclocking-ramtimmings-for-new-zen3/

 

Perhaps one day I will explore it more.

 

There also another thread talking about another tool to optimize the CPU which I also didn´t try yet:

 

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/69312-clock-tuner-for-ryzen-version-20-was-just-released/

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Alonzo said:

I'm still dialling in my new 5800x -- I bought the same RAM kit and motherboard as @SCG_Fenris_Wolf (MSI MAG x570) but when I naively toggled it up to 4,000mhz it just didn't work and needed a clear-CMOS. I'm a newb when it comes to Ryzen stuff though, am coming from Intel. Any good suggestions / guides on memory OC for the 5800x?

 

(btw, the 2D SYN_Vander is getting 123 FPS even without any tuning so I'm already 20% better than my 8086K @ 5.0ghz....)

I looked at the Ryzen memory calculator but in the end just used the "try it and see approach" as I was too lazy to sit down and review what all the settings did :(

This meant that I became very good friends with the CMOS reset switch and re-applying Bios settings. 

 

Started with the primary timings first and once I got them to the lowest that was stable just went into secondary and reduced them all by 20% with some additional fine tuning later. Did try the primary timings again after adjusting secondary timings but was not able to improve on my first attempts (from memory 16-14-14-14-28 @3866Hz)

 

Ran frequent tests after changes with Aida64 and memtest86 to confirm that latency reduced, data transfer improvements occurred and RAM was still stable.

 

As I started with 4400Mhz RAM memory, voltage settings were already quite high so I did not increase them any further.

 

It should be noted that some changes to timings can make a big difference to performance at the cost of higher RAM temperatures which can be problematic.

Recommend checking to see if you can get RAM stick temperature information (i.e. HWInfo64) to understand that aspect as well if your RAM sticks provide it. In my case RAM temperature information was not available so I was flying blind on this issue.

 

As mentioned, in several previous posts, I got better results at frequencies lower than 4000Hz even though my system was stable at that frequency.

 

After doing quite a lot of testing it appears that I got 2 out of 3 in the silicon lottery:

1. Good RAM (after testing two sets and selecting the best stick from both)

2. Great GPU that runs at over 2000Mhz with stock manufactures OC settings

3. Marginal 5800x CPU, runs at default AMD settings but defies any attempts to tune it further i.e. the Ryzen clock tuner that Chiliwili69 referred to.

 

There was no point in trying to extract more from the GPU as according to FRAPs the CPU was hitting it's single core performance ceiling prior to the GPU.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 3:31 AM, SYN_Vander said:

 I quickly found that flying online I had pretty high stable FPS, yet in single missions I always had the (ASW/reprojection) warping.
My solution was (and probably will be again) to save a single mission to coop and then host it on my own dedicated server:

 

 


I tried running a coop mission and you’re right; the fps was indeed higher. On single missions, my average is between 45-60 fps. But on coop, inspite of multiple AC and ground targets about, the fps was between 60-80.
Odd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2021 at 11:56 PM, Alonzo said:

I'm still dialling in my new 5800x -- I bought the same RAM kit and motherboard as @SCG_Fenris_Wolf (MSI MAG x570) but when I naively toggled it up to 4,000mhz it just didn't work and needed a clear-CMOS. I'm a newb when it comes to Ryzen stuff though, am coming from Intel. Any good suggestions / guides on memory OC for the 5800x?

 

(btw, the 2D SYN_Vander is getting 123 FPS even without any tuning so I'm already 20% better than my 8086K @ 5.0ghz....)

Hi Alonzo the following guide helped me get the best out of my ram.

https://github.com/integralfx/MemTestHelper/blob/master/DDR4 OC Guide.md

Edited by shirazjohn
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2021 at 5:04 AM, whitav8 said:

What do you think of this memory for my 5Ghz 9700K? I currently have 3200Mhz CL18 memory

G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-32GTRS

DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)

Timing 16-16-16-36

CAS Latency 16

Voltage 1.35V

 

Yesterday I spent some time with a tech friend overclocking my i5 9600k CPU and RAM. The CPU overclocking went well up to 4.9 Ghz but when we tried to adjust the RAM my system wasn't having it and we got blue screen.

 

For the processor we used a CPU ratio of 49 (4.9Ghz) and a Ring Ratio of 46 with quite a high voltage of 1.47 - please can you suggest how I can tweak things to get 5Ghz? With a CPU ratio of 50? crash with a Ring ratio of 47? crash - it might just be that I got a poor quality example of an i5 9600k

 

The RAM I have is 2 x 16 Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 Mhz, I used the XMP profile to up the memory from "JDEC #8" @ 2133 to XMP @ 2666 and timings are currently 16 18 18 35.

Is it even possible to overclock this RAM?

 

On 3/5/2021 at 10:50 AM, thermoregulator said:

I would suggest to use fast values from ryzen dram calculator for samsung B-die, revision A3/A2/B2, rank 2, 2 DIMM modules, frequency 3800 Mhz - I should be a good start. Just fill all the suggested values in your BIOS.

 

Does anyone know if there is a similar dram calculator for Intel CPU's and memory?

Where should I go from here? Any hints on getting my CPU to reach 5Ghz?

 

Sorry for all the questions and for posting off-topic!

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i just switch ed rendering from MXAA to FXAA (think thats what there called but away from my PC) i run everyting on ultra apary from mirrors that are on medium and i get 90fps no problem

im running a I7 at 5ghz and a RTX 3080. pror to the switch i got arond 40 fps and to be honst i dont even notice the detail change

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Valve Index came back from RMA (basically they gave me a brand new headset). No-one seemed to want to buy it so I opened the box and compared it to the Reverb G2 again. Is it weird for me to say I think I might prefer the Index? I mean, the resolution is lower, no doubt about that, and quite a lot lower. But the pixels are in focus compared to the G2 that I just can't get dialled in. It feels like I'm constantly straining for focus, and I've tried various things including a custom 3D printed face plate.

 

I feel like a couple of people have said maybe the G2 isn't for them, something about their head shape. Is that what I'm experiencing?

 

I think I still need to do more head-to-head testing of the two headsets but when I put the Index on the comfort is good, the pixels are sharp, the FOV is good, the colors pop. The G2 just seems to be making my eyes do more work all the time, I'm a bit worried about that.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reverb G2 can be a little tough getting it fitted on the head to get the best of the sweet spot along with clarity.

I find I need the back part down somewhat low, as well as the front part. I get the front down low and then tilt it in a little from the bottom as I press

to my face. Once I get it where it is the best everything looks so much clearer for me. Makes a big difference in seeing those cockpit dials.

 

I am sure much of this is depending on one's headshape and can very much from person to person.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dburne said:

Reverb G2 can be a little tough getting it fitted on the head to get the best of the sweet spot along with clarity.

I find I need the back part down somewhat low, as well as the front part. I get the front down low and then tilt it in a little from the bottom as I press

to my face. Once I get it where it is the best everything looks so much clearer for me. Makes a big difference in seeing those cockpit dials.

 

I am sure much of this is depending on one's headshape and can very much from person to person.

That’s pretty much what I’m doing as well. G2 being my first HMD, I have no reference to compare it to, but the sweet spot is quite narrow.

 

As far as the FPS goes, I’m a bit nervous as my 2080 super* is not thought to do well with IL-2. I’m still going through VR/motion sickness  and all I’m doing for now is single wave 1-on-1 ai dog fights for up to an hour**. With balanced settings, no FXAA/MSAA, dynamic range off/ motion smoothing off, I’m getting 90 FPS (high 80ies occasionally), but I know these scenarios (and map) is the best it is going to get. Now that there’s a rumor that allegedly upcoming 3080Ti may have a lock on mining (only for ethereum, either hardware lock or bios depending on the source), I actually may be able to get one when/if they come out. 
 

All that being said, I’d like to be able to enjoy that new to me VR experience the best I can till that day arrives, so at the very least, I’ll see how many of the options I can roll back to “low” and still can get something out of IL-2 once I’m ready to busier scenarios/maps. From my past lurking times here, I seem to remember Kuban map is quite hard on the hardware, but what others are/maybe suitable for my GPU do you think? 

 

 

*basically all I could find without sacrificing my first born

 

** starting up high (5000’ / 1500 m) and dipping down to tree tops, no cities

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2021 at 1:35 AM, Alonzo said:

Is it weird for me to say I think I might prefer the Index?

 

It is not weird. It was also my case as you would know. And I made some trough lens pictures to know exactly how much detail I was lossing in the center.

 

But having now both you could do one experiment if you use glasses for reading. Try the G2 with reading glasses, Read this.

On 3/7/2021 at 1:35 AM, Alonzo said:

their head shape

 

The edge-to-edge clarity is not related to head-shape or IPD. You can test the G2 with just one eye, put it exactly in the center of the lens. No matter how you push/pull or tilt the lens, the bluriness around the center is there.

I think it depends more on the geometry of the eye and if you are able to focus to close distances.

19 hours ago, kissTheSky said:

I seem to remember Kuban map is quite hard on the hardware, but what others are/maybe suitable for my GPU do you think?

 

The Kuban mountains and large cities are taxing to both CPU and GPU. Try to use Stalingrad winter map but no Stalingrad city.

Try also to avoid clouds, they are the top fps eater. Shadows and mirrors have also a big impact. Look this, It was done with an old benchmark but I think it is still usefull as guidance.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there any setting that will cause the the fps to lock at 45fps on the G2?

 

I've been trying to get IL2 GB past 45fps for weeks now. Note: I used to get in the 90s on the G2 when I first got it. After so much tweaking, my fps is almost always at 45fps regardless of the graphic settings. I've tried low, balanced, high, & ultra. The result is the same...45fps. My current settings runs smoothly, no tears, no stutters, etc. Now run at max on every category.  I've tried several different settings from community members, but I can't seem to get back to 90fps I saw in the beginning.

 

See my signature for my rig's specs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know about G2, but for my G1 if I set "reprojection mode on" in Steam-VR-for-WMR config file it is going to lock my framerate to 45fps all the time.

So I think you have a similar setting turned on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JV44HeinzBar said:

Is there any setting that will cause the the fps to lock at 45fps on the G2?

 

I've been trying to get IL2 GB past 45fps for weeks now. Note: I used to get in the 90s on the G2 when I first got it. After so much tweaking, my fps is almost always at 45fps regardless of the graphic settings. I've tried low, balanced, high, & ultra. The result is the same...45fps. My current settings runs smoothly, no tears, no stutters, etc. Now run at max on every category.  I've tried several different settings from community members, but I can't seem to get back to 90fps I saw in the beginning.

 

See my signature for my rig's specs.

 

I quit chasing trying to hit 90 fps in my Reverb G2 and ended up locking mine to 45 fps by forcing Motion Smoothing on at 45 fps.

So I just run the sim at 100% Steam VR resolution and it is gorgeous. 

Check your Steam VR resolution setting if it is at 100% that would probably explain why you are not hitting 90 fps.

100% Steam VR for the G2 is pretty high for the G2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2021 at 2:56 PM, dburne said:

 

I quit chasing trying to hit 90 fps in my Reverb G2 and ended up locking mine to 45 fps by forcing Motion Smoothing on at 45 fps.

So I just run the sim at 100% Steam VR resolution and it is gorgeous. 

Check your Steam VR resolution setting if it is at 100% that would probably explain why you are not hitting 90 fps.

100% Steam VR for the G2 is pretty high for the G2.

 

S!,

I've got my general VR resolution at 100%, but I turned the IL2 Sturmovik VR resolution to 50%, like so many people have suggested.

 

@WheelwritePL, I've tried both reprojection, on/off. Neither one seems to affect my fps, good or bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2021 at 8:56 PM, dburne said:

I quit chasing trying to hit 90 fps in my Reverb G2 and ended up locking mine to 45 fps by forcing Motion Smoothing on at 45 fps.

Does this result in flappy wings on fast moving planes up close like you get with Oculus' reprojection method?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 335th_GRFirdimigdi said:

Does this result in flappy wings on fast moving planes up close like you get with Oculus' reprojection method?

 

Not that I have noticed - I think a little artifacting at times but nothing that bothers me.

IMHO definitely better than Oculus.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JV44HeinzBar said:

 

S!,

I've got my general VR resolution at 100%, but I turned the IL2 Sturmovik VR resolution to 50%, like so many people have suggested.

 

@WheelwritePL, I've tried both reprojection, on/off. Neither one seems to affect my fps, good or bad.

To turn off reprojection:

 

Start WMR, then start in-steam-library executable of "Windows Mixes reality for SteamVR".

Go into VR, bring up the Steam menu dashboard by pressing the button next to Windows key (controllers are required).

Look for the new icon readimg Mixed reality settings or something similar. 

In there you can browse the settings and find the one which allows you to control motion reprojection per game. I don't remember the exact name, feel free to share it again. You need to flick that switch.

Then take headset off, restart SteamVR (always via "mixed reality for SteamVR") and check SteamVR individual game settings - there is a drop-down menu that actually works properly now. You can then select between auto-reprojection, forced reprojection, and reprojection off.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am waiting to receive a 3090 and own a G2. As I am a bit bored waiting for my GPU I am looking at going for a Ryzen 5800x and x570 mb to replace my i7 8086K @5Ghz. My memory is Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz  4 x 8GB Would the memory work and would it be worth doing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2021 at 7:35 PM, Alonzo said:

I think I still need to do more head-to-head testing of the two headsets but when I put the Index on the comfort is good, the pixels are sharp, the FOV is good, the colors pop. The G2 just seems to be making my eyes do more work all the time, I'm a bit worried about that.

 

For MP the wide FOV and better spotting of Index is hands down the right choice.

 

For SP or if you like the graphics candy and accept the fact that in MP you will be owned by the sneak then G2 all the way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DD_Crash said:

I am looking at going for a Ryzen 5800x and x570 mb to replace my i7 8086K @5Ghz. My memory is Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz  4 x 8GB Would the memory work and would it be worth doing?

 

You can use this table to guess what would be your gain:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gJmnz_nVxI6_dG_UYNCCpZVK2-f8NBy-y1gia77Hu_k

 

I think you can keep your memory and run it at 3200 and see what bench you obtain.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...