Ground attack questions.....

AvtoMatex

AvtoMatex

As i currently fly the IL-2 in the moscow career mode, i really miss an object viewer like the old IL-2 game had. For example to find out about the stats of AI tanks: I identified Pz III, Pz 35t (or 38t?) and Pz IV so far during my missions. The Panzer III has better rear armor than side armor and the Pz IV has weak rear armor. Pz 35t can be destroyed by ShVAK, while the other two require the Vja-23 to effectively deal with.

It would be nice if information like that would be available in some sort of database to take into consideration when planning my attack runs on a target. The game kind of throws me into historys heaviest fighting without briefing me on what I am facing, what I am supposed to destroy and where to hit with my rounds to do so. AFAIK the damage models are a lot more advanced than they used to be in IL-2 1946.

Also i only found confusing information about bomb delays. Whats the "default" setting in the menu? Is AI always using 1s delay? Why do bombs go dud when dropped too low, except when I use 5 seconds delay? That suddenly makes them bounce around targets and explode..... What would be the most historically correct setting for bombs on the IL-2? It probably always was a guess-game to actually hit something, but what was typically used?

See this page by Aergistal. Tanks are near the bottom.

There are more IL-2 resources in this post (including a Ground Attack Guides section and Tank Guides section).

IL-2 has an object viewer in the game directory under /bin/viewer but it only shows planes at the moment.

Edited by JimTM