Clock tuner for Ryzen, version 2.0 was just released.

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/clocktuner-2-for-ryzen-(ctr)-guide,1.html

I had the version one, that was made for Ryzen 3000 and it was great for multithreading tasks. This tool, if you follow the instructions correctly, will overclock and downvolt your CPU, until it finds the best spot.  This one is made for Ryzen 5000, but works with Threadripper and Ryzen 3000 as well.

Last version was not that good for gaming, because you lost some of the high boost, but this version is supposed to combine PBO with Per CCX overclocking to achieve the best combo for both games and multithreaded tasks.

I'll give it a try as soon as I have a chance. :dance:

Edited by Jaws2002

I gave it a shot, but it's not apples to apples comparation to my previous tests.

I flashed to a newer BIOS  the day before, and i didn't have time to tune my memory back to 3800MHz. So this tests were done with straight up XMP at 3600Mhz. The XMP timings for my kit are 16-16-16-36 @ 3600Mhz. Before the Bios flash it was running at 3800Mhz and the timings were 16-16-16-32. 

Anyway. I did the diagnostics and then let the app tune the CPU by itself. The tuning ran for about an hour and it settled at all core overclock with first CCX running at 4475Mhz and second at 4175Mhz, but much lower power than out of the box. 

The Cinebench R20 jumped up about a thousand points and everything was running cooler. 

I saved and applied just P1 profile and that's the all core one. I don't know if P2 will get better gaming scores.

The funny thing is that even the game was faster. 

here are the results in SYN_Vander benchmark:

2021-02-03 20:23:40 - Il-2
Frames: 7732 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 128.867 - Min: 113 - Max: 176

2021-02-03 21:35:14 - Il-2
Frames: 7724 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 128.733 - Min: 112 - Max: 181

I got 129fps average, with the standard XMP and zero extra memory tuning. I don't know if this is from the bios or CPU tune-up, but I like it. Before this the best I could get with straight, 3600MzHz XMP, was around 124FPS. 

I want to reinstall everything, because I have a year and half old windows 10 install, that was upgraded from windows 7 and it's showing it's age.

I'll try this again after that and after i tune the memory again. It looks promising.

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Zen 3 gives you almost everything out of the box. Sure you may get a small boost from overclocking, but For most people is not worth the hassle. 

The cool thing about this tool is that it also downvolts the CPU, so, even if you don't get a performance boost, you get the same performance at lower power usage and temperature.

Edited by Jaws2002

Thank you. I host cooperative missions/campaigns, therefore, the most important thing for me is stability. My PC has to be stable. That's the reason I haven't touched anything (5800X in X570 MSI Tomahawk with 2x16GB 3600 CL16).

I'm not sure if I should try this program... 😅

Just now, PA_Willy said:

Thank you. I host cooperative missions/campaigns, therefore, the most important thing for me is stability. My PC has to be stable. That's the reason I haven't touched anything (5800X in X570 MSI Tomahawk with 2x16GB 3600 CL16).

I'm not sure if I should try this program... 😅

Then don't worry about it. It's not worth messing up with the stability of the system.

Edited by Jaws2002

The Clock Tuner was a non-starter, for me, as my 5800x CPU failed the stability test on one of its cores :( prior to running any tuning processes.

Alas, apart from identifying the core it did not give any useful details of the failure

Maybe my CPU should have been sold as a 5600x.

Various versions of Cinebench still score my CPU Ok and no BSOD's, so the issue must be a bit of an obscure one.

Oh well, back to RAM timing to eke out some miniscule extra gains.

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
missing word
  • Thanks 1

I may not even bother with it anymore. After i reinstalled windows and everything, and dumped norton, I'm getting 134-135fps, average, in SYN_Vander benchmark,  out of the box, with the standard 3600Mhz XMP. No overclock, no extra memory tuning. 

I don't want to mess it up... I know if I keep trying I will mess it up. 🤣

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

I may not even bother with it anymore. After i reinstalled windows and everything, and dumped norton, I'm getting 134-135fps, average, in SYN_Vander benchmark,  out of the box, with the standard 3600Mhz XMP. No overclock, no extra memory tuning. 

I don't want to mess it up... I know if I keep trying I will mess it up. 🤣

I would recommend trying to get your RAM to run at 3800 MHz (and FLCK 1900). That is the biggest improvement that I have found with my testing of the 5800x.

You may not notice any difference with the SYN_Vander benchmark CPU 1080 test but it does provide benefits at 4K+ resolutions.

33 minutes ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

I would recommend trying to get your RAM to run at 3800 MHz (and FLCK 1900). That is the biggest improvement that I have found with my testing of the 5800x.

You may not notice any difference with the SYN_Vander benchmark CPU 1080 test but it does provide benefits at 4K+ resolutions.

I actually did have it run at 3800Mhz for about a month, but since i flashed to the latest bios, my infinity fabric can't do 1900Mhz for some reason. Funny enough, with the beta bios, that i had before this one, My IF was running stable at 2000Mhz. Unfortunately that beta bios had some issues with the USB ports dying out of the blue. 

Here's a screenshot from zen timings with the settings i ran before the bios "update" :

ZenTimings_Screenshot.png

If this was just the "diagnostic' you have to click on "tune" and let it tune the cpu based on the settings suggested in profile one.

Let the program run all the tuning and testing. 

Mine did the tuning for about an hour.

After the tuning is done it will automatically run the cinebench r20 benchmark again, and only after that you go into the profile menu and save profiles 1 and 2.

Next step you apply profile one.

I don't remember exactly, buy i think you can only apply profile P2  after you have P1 saved and applied, selected "autoload profile with OS and restart the PC.

Edited by Jaws2002

Thank you. I know about Tune button. But my question is previous... Watching diagnostic figures, frequency and Vcore advised, do you think is interesting to try that OC?

From starting point. Default Vcore on load is 1180mv. I get two or three cores reaching 4885MHz when necessary (IL2) or all cores at 3886MHz in multicore apps. 

Edited by PA_Willy
  • 2 weeks later...

Jaws2002: I agree with you.

I was finally able to snag a RX 6800 to pair with my 5900x. No need to Overclock either one. Just enabled SAM in the BIOS and let it go. Have ram on XMP setting for DDR4-3600.

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, skline00 said:

Jaws2002: I agree with you.

I was finally able to snag a RX 6800 to pair with my 5900x. No need to Overclock either one. Just enabled SAM in the BIOS and let it go. Have ram on XMP setting for DDR4-3600.

Very interested to see if enabling SAM makes any difference for IL2.

Are you able to run the SYN_VANDER test (or similar repeatable mission) at your Monitor's native resolution with and without SAM enabled?

The feedback from testers on SAM is mixed, some games run better other worse. Would be interesting to find out if SAM has any benefit for IL2.

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
? added :)