How to evade AAA while divebombing?

enyak

I fear the answer is obviously "don't attack alone" but when going solo there isn't always the luxury of someone distracting ground fire so you can precision bomb.

So how to best to approach dive-bombing a target that is defended by AAA? Do you go for a 90° dive? If it's a ship the AAA station is just on top of your actual target.

BlitzPig_EL

Sorry, but attacking a well defended ground target alone is pretty much suicide because the AI AAA gunners behave like modern era radar controlled guns.  You need multiple attackers to split the AAA's attention and to also engage in flak suppression.  Also it would help to open the mission in the mission builder, and if you can, set all the AI AAA guns to the lowest skill setting.

• Upvote 1

56RAF_Roblex

AA is not as good at following a vector changing in 3 dimensions so make your attack in a traversing curve as well as a vertical curve.  It can also confuse them to put a few 'steps' into the dive eg dive as if attacking a point well in front of the target then pull up into a very shallow dive for a few seconds then dive again on the target. 

Noisemaker
1 hour ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

AA is not as good at following a vector changing in 3 dimensions so make your attack in a traversing curve as well as a vertical curve.  It can also confuse them to put a few 'steps' into the dive eg dive as if attacking a point well in front of the target then pull up into a very shallow dive for a few seconds then dive again on the target. 

I've noticed the same.  The AA will hit you if you're flying straight (whether diving, level, or climbing), but as long as you're banking at the same time, the rounds will pass behind you.  I like a series of horizontal curves approaching an AA covered target, then a curving dive, straightening out just before bomb release, and then a curving climb away.  It's the only way I survive in the U-2.

• Upvote 2

I like to do the porpoise, slight changes up and down like the mentioned mammal rising to the surface then submerging and releasing my bomb at the last second.  Seldom if ever get cancelled by the AAA . . .

Edited by GSP_Hund

Do you mean dive bombing in a Ju88/Pe2, Ju87 or jabo?

I rarely do true bomber stuff but if I do I try to do a curving dive then straighten everything up (to avoid the bombs drifting off to one side) just before I drop.  The timing is tricky though.

Mostly I do jabo but I try to follow the same idea.  Really though it's always a gamble.

von Tom

Luftschiff

Good answers so far - For dive bombing in something like the Stuka or 88 (and sometimes 109) I go for steep angles and higher drops.
For glide bombing, which happens a lot more often, in Peshkas, 110s, the 88 or p much all Jabos - Try to make a single pass and jink during the approach. That is to say, observe the flak firing, and change bank, pitch, yaw, basically as many angles as you can, slightly after you observe the flak battery firing. As you come in you can easily "dodge" the stream of shells, and the closer you get the sooner before a burst you do the jink. The closer you get the more the gunner needs to traverse to hit you so as long as you keep changing your inputs slightly during the whole pass you should be relatively safe. Once you've dropped the bombs, you'll pass over and return to more methodical jinking during the pullout.

I find flak is the most dangerous during the mid-distance of about 800-400 meters during the approach but others might disagree. If you're in an attack aircraft or Jabo, see about strafing the guns as you come in, even throwing MG-fire in their general direction usually helps suppress them during those valuable seconds. The power of the 110 to absolutely hose down areas during the dive toward the bomb target is extremely useful.

TCW_Brzi_Joe

0) aa guns are priority targets. Do them first as bomber, or do them if you are attacker to help your fragile bomber colleagues

1) do not dive strait to middle of target sector (i.e. enemy airport), dive first to right or left side, on first aa gun (short and middle ranged first)

2) do not fly strait to target from far away; start diving and put your nose down below target - you will see if they start shooting, any of aa guns

3) when they start shooting raise your nose up, above target. Change you direction slightly every 3 seconds up-down-right-left, and do not fly into bullets fired several seconds before.

4) when target is near your shooting range, in last moment aim and take it with short burst

5) fly away, and change your direction incrementally every 3-5seconds. I usually fly more up and left, with puling harder every 3-5sec. And I look back to see them shooting.

6) When they stop firing, turn and repeat

7) use friends as distraction; you will see and identify aa guns from far away

8 ) do not play hero. It is more important to stay alive then to kill it with 1 pass. Just fly over if something is wrong