Why Are Bombs So Ineffective in FC1?

I've been loading my Camel with bombs to attack anti-aircraft and enemy cars, but notice that they do no damage. Cars actually seem to be indestructible. I've tested this by parking next to one and dropping all my bombs, and they have no effect whatsoever. Bullets also do nothing to cars and bombs do nothing to bridges, etc. Why is this? 

4 hours ago, Pietman said:

I've tested this by parking next to one and dropping all my bombs, and they have no effect whatsoever.

I dare say your test also did not work for being too low. Even with the 5 second timer drop too late (low) and you get duds. The contact fuze setting can be an issue also that causes most low level drops to become duds.

Though the coopers are rather small bombs they are great for destroying anti-aircraft artillery and field artillery guns and machine guns. Good on the WW1 tanks also if you hit bang on or right beside them. Also good against balloons.

Bullets also do nothing to cars and bombs do nothing to bridges, etc.

As for the cars they can seem tough but do take damage. The damage model for the WW1 cars and tanks is similar to the WW2 tanks and cars in that they can become immobilised and receive other sorts of systems damage and can be considered destroyed long before going pop. If you see the car smoking or have seen the crew run you’ve done enough.

each 'simple' vehicle has many types of simulated parts - wheels or trucks, engine, ammo rack, fuel tanks, driver, turret, main gun. By hitting a simple AI vehicle at these parts you can immobilize it or render it inoperable by damaging a turret or main gun if any. Statistics system will consider it destroyed if its ammo, explosive cargo or fuel tanks detonated or its crew was killed or its engine was destroyed or its suspension has been rendered inoperable (at least two wheels or tracks damaged).

Check out this video from Gascan and Kotori from about 12:30 where they attack a road convoy. And you can see they do take damage from machine guns.

Edited by Oliver88

Can confirm: tanks and trucks do not need to explode to be considered destroyed. Trains are really tough. They can be shot up by machine gun, and you'll even see them start to leak steam from the boiler, but they can really take a beating. Those things are best destroyed with bombs, and it takes practice to figure out the right timing to get the engine when it's on the move. I'm not sure if the bridges can be taken out with the little bombs, but the big bombs can take out a section in a single hit.

I've focused on flying fighters in VR.  But I've just added the JetPad and ButtKicker haptic devices and this looks like a good time to start flying all the planes again; especially those with things that fall off and go boom.

Honestly, I thought the trains blew up way too easily in ROF.  Will be interesting to see what they are doing now.

Prosit! 

@Pietman One of the best ways to practice is to get into QMB with aiming and bomb assist enabled and unlimited weaponry.  Also make yourself invulnerable.  What you are trying to learn is a regular attack path and drop point to guarantee a hit.  I find it difficult because and change in glide angle, speed, or drop altitude is going to affect aim.  Still, it helps.  Once you have think you have it turn off bombing assist and there you go. Reset the realism settings and go back to the game.

Yes, I've tried changing settings, but for some reason bomb assist won't display even when enabled. 

I found that part of the issue was simply expectations after transferring from Rise of Flight. Things blow up pretty easily in that sim.