Well the movie Red Baron  had a scene where they used a flare gun to shoot down an observation balloon.  The "official trailer number two"on the 1C youtube page shows the same thing being done in game. 

My question is how many people have actually tried doing this? Every time in RoF that i try, after about 15 seconds the plane starts to follow the flare gun like a pointer and just goes crazy going in that direction until i put it away. 

Ive tried using the Becker autocannon in RoF and for some reason its less useful then a 10 second burst on bomber engines. How does that transfer over to FC?

IRL in order to destroy a balloon you had to make holes in it, to release hydrogen into air and let it mix with oxygen (this was done with ordinary bullets), then ignite the hydrogen leak (this was done with incendiary bullets). The pilot in Der Rote Baron does exactly that (shoot some holes, wait, then fire flare at them) which makes his approach... barely plausible, if that.

AFAIK this is not modelled in FC/RoF at all. All bullets are standard ones and you just shoot the balloon until it dies. No hydrogen leak, no ignition, the flares bounce off the balloon. Unless we believe that our ammo works as incendiary against balloon and as regular bullets against planes, somehow, the approach from the movie is more realistic than in game.

Which is saying something.

Edited by J2_Trupobaw
  • Upvote 1

Back when I was new to ROFMP, I was starting a D7F and got vulched by my good friend PLANK in a Nieuport; he'd slam my top wing with his wheels before I could get rolling.  He did it twice.  Just his way of being playful.

But I'd been flying ROF-MP about two months and that was the first time I'd experienced that kind of behavior.  Not knowing what else to do, I went for my pistol but pulled out my flare gun by mistake and fired as he approached for a third attack.  BOOM!  He exploded!  I thought I'd shot him down but actually (as RAKER and TABASCO explained) he got hit by FLAK about the same time as my flare got there.  I checked the FR and they were right.

Since then, I've tried shooting balloons with a flare and it's never worked for me in ROF or FC1.  So I'm pretty sure it's not possible; the flare isn't designed for destruction.

IRL, a flare in a vulnerable spot could spoil your day; so I think it would be credible if that got adjusted in future DM.  :salute:

But when it comes to shooting down balloons, what I miss most from ROF is the INCENDIARY AMMO.  I'd really like to see that added to FC2, please.  :good:

Prosit!   

TOTE FIRES AND PLANK EXPLODES.jpg

Edited by Todt_Von_Oben
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

TOTE FIRES AND PLANK EXPLODES.jpg

A crying shame that it was not your flare gun that shot down Plank.  He would appreciate the joke, assuming he is currently free to roam society. 

I am 100% with you on incendiary ammo. BoX needs it too if only to shut up the .50 cal complaints. I am not sure why this is so difficult for the devs to do: if it is a question of money, why not add incendiary ammo types for all weapons that had them, as a paid DLC equivalent in price to a collector plane? I think that would be fair and a large proportion of regular players would buy them. I would much rather pay for incendiaries than for another sub-version of the Bf109.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3
1 hour ago, unreasonable said:

A crying shame that it was not your flare gun that shot down Plank.  He would appreciate the joke, assuming he is currently free to roam society. 

He's making an air gun out of an old kitchen table and a discarded petrol can previously used for cooking and decanting brandy I think? 

• Haha 2
13 minutes ago, ST_Catchov said:

He's making an air gun out of an old kitchen table and a discarded petrol can previously used for cooking and decanting brandy I think? 

I guess they took the straight jacket off and gave him his crayons back.  He's active on the ROF Forum but now he's using an alias: KNALP.  

(Oh, THAT'LL throw 'em off!  LOL!  :yahoo:)

Sounds like he and Arty are still having fun.  Moro, Mamo, and other famous fliers still participate there.  ROF might even be seeing a small resurgence of activity.   If I wasn't so sold on VR, I'd go back there for a visit occasionally.  But 3D spoiled me.  

Wait... what was the topic?  :cool: 

• Haha 2

You could always drop a 20lb bomb on the balloon. Works like a charm, I've killed four balloons on the flugpark that way. Just be careful, the bomb detonates the instant it touches the balloon, with potentially lethal consequences if you're too close to the blast.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, kotori87 said:

You could always drop a 20lb bomb on the balloon. Works like a charm, I've killed four balloons on the flugpark that way. Just be careful, the bomb detonates the instant it touches the balloon, with potentially lethal consequences if you're too close to the blast.

Once i get the game installed, so far 10 hours to download 1.35 gb, im gonna have to try the halberstadt with alot of 12.5kg bombs.  now do we get the choice of incendiary?

4 hours ago, pocketshaver said:

Once i get the game installed, so far 10 hours to download 1.35 gb

That's not good shaver. I think it took me 4-5 hours to download FC about 16 months ago. And I think it was 13 gb's or something back then. At the time I was on satellite and I thought that was bad. Now I'm on superfast cable with download speeds of 37 mbps ROFLOL. :lol:  But about 4 mbps from the 1C server? :( But you win hands down. 

22 hours ago, ST_Catchov said:

That's not good shaver. I think it took me 4-5 hours to download FC about 16 months ago. And I think it was 13 gb's or something back then. At the time I was on satellite and I thought that was bad. Now I'm on superfast cable with download speeds of 37 mbps ROFLOL. :lol:  But about 4 mbps from the 1C server? :( But you win hands down. 

righht now the sturmovik downloader says i am achieving a download speed of about 850 to 911.5 kb/s

In RoF, flares can do damage to some objects including pilots.  Unfortunately this game does not seem to have inherited that, which if nothing else is useful for committing suicide when stuck on a building.

On 1/30/2021 at 9:50 AM, Todt_Von_Oben said:

Sounds like he and Arty are still having fun.  

Indeed so, but nothing has beaten spawning a bomber adjacent to someone with a bogus kill streak of 97, then blowing-up his plane.

Agree on the balloon attacks - it seems to take me more bullets on the balloon than on an artillery position. Incendiary ammo seems like it would work as an optional load out in the pre-flight checklist.

I think the pre-flight checklist is somewhat under-used as a way of getting more variety from some of the existing planes. Some planes seem to have a long list of options, and others have very few. It would be really interesting to see some of the modifications that were adopted in numbers (different prop types, removed headrests, engine variants, incendiary ammo, etc.).

• Upvote 2