Developer Diary 270 - Discussion

I remember when I thought Pong was pretty cutting edge (yep, I was there, way back when), if someone had told me this was the future, I would have never believed it. Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. I am not sure how to put my thoughts to word in such a way that makes sense, but I will try. Pre-purchasing each release somehow makes me feel as though I am playing some part in the development of your product, like I am part of the team. I have come to believe this stems from the atmosphere 1CGS and my fellow players inject into the the forum as well as the gameplay. This is a community of like minded individuals founded by a company that actually seems to value our opinions and constantly strives to exceed our expectations. There are a lot of companies out there who should be watching how the 1CGS team go about their business. To sum up, well done, thank you for your hard work, and we got your six.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 13
21 minutes ago, =NTAC=Professor_Fate said:

Pre-purchasing each release somehow makes me feel as though I am playing some part in the development of your product, like I am part of the team. I have come to believe this stems from the atmosphere 1CGS and my fellow players inject into the the forum as well as the gameplay. This is a community of like minded individuals founded by a company that actually seems to value our opinions and constantly strives to exceed our expectations. There are a lot of companies out there who should be watching how the 1CGS team go about their business. To sum up, well done, thank you for your hard work, and we got your six.

I agree with you.

I feel this way too and couldn't have said it better.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

Edited by FlyingShark
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
23 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

The codes work with the bump texture. The engine was never designed to support this, but the team, namely Sergey, Mike and Daniel found a way. This is something that has to be designed to be included from the start as it affects all the models etc. Any next-gen product we make, will have this in the design from the start so it would be even more flexible than what we've come up with.

It won't be ready for a while as we need to modify all planes and tanks to work with them, so please be patient. Maybe not until the end of the year. This was just a tease since we are pleased with the outcome. And once again, this solution was an offshoot due to working on tanks. :biggrin:

Jason

Excellent, applause applause to all the team. Superb upgrade.

I am not a tank fan, but now I am if this helped finding a solution. The other only solution was tons of custom skins. Please continue working on tanks as that may improve our planes 😉

I suppose there will be two categories of skins, those that can be automatically numbered and other historical skins or custom skins that will not be numbered.

As this excellent upgrade will come after summer I hope that you will have an automatic numbering or lettering method of the type:

We choose a skin (compatible with numbering or lettering or both) for the leader. Then as we add wingmen by target linking them to the leader and they get automatically numbered.

Once the flight is setup, we should be able to choose a specific skin (historical or custom) for the leader or any wingmen. Doing this it should not change anything to the already numbered other planes of the same flight. In this way you can have different skins in a group of planes that are otherwise based on a standard one. That would be perfect 😁

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Upvote 1
19 hours ago, sevenless said:

Your memory must play tricks on you. If you look up Eric Mombeeks 3 volume unit diary on volume II page 156-157 you find him explaining the exact checkerboard squadron pattern I/JG 1 used in 1943 up to early-mid 1944.

1./JG1 = black - white

2./JG1 = black - red

3./JG1 = black - yellow

All this was replaced mid 44 by black-white stripes and the spinner in squadron colour.

I guess what you propably mean, is the yet unanswered question, whether or not a certain plane of first squadron (1./JG1 and not the whole I./JG1) might have had a yellow-black checkerboard (white 1 of Uffz. Bernhard Kunze, 1./JG 1, WNr. 410055 ?) That topic has been partly untangled here:

FalkeEins - the Luftwaffe blog: JG 1 Focke Wulf Fw 190 checker nose colours

You are, on the one hand, correct that I misremembered Mombeek's 3 volumes. But you also misunderstand Falke1's blogpost which clearly questions Mombeek's interpretations based on research done by Rodeike (published in an article in the german aviation history magazine "Jet&Prop" 04/2003) according to which no JG1 groundcrew member interviewed for said article could remember anything but black and white. And this article is exactly where I read this, too bad that I had to dispose of many old magazines due to several moves across the last decade. ☹

Falke1 also posted a still which is used as "evidence" for the multi-color claims but given the atrocious quality he calls it "unreliable". Additionally, and this is why I am so convinced that only black and white were used, the "stripes" that quickly replaced the checkerboard (after that disastrous strafing attack by the similarly painted Thunderbolts) were all black/white on aircraft of all of I./JG 1's component Staffeln. 🤓

Edited by csThor
9 hours ago, Taurus said:

So glad that decals are being added! It is so tedious creating individual aircraft skins for mundane squadron identification codes.

I just hope that there is forethought that the decal area is adequate in size and resolution to accommodate an area for the many many adaptions of identification.

A huge step in the right direction...

There was so much variation in the USAAF in style and sometimes even the placement of the A/C squadron codes, that it's hard to imagine we'll get a lot more than generic interpretations of them. BUT, this team has surprised us on so many occasions that I've learned to expect the unexpected.

39 minutes ago, csThor said:

You are, on the one hand, correct that I misremembered Mombeek's 3 volumes. But you also misunderstand Falke1's blogpost which clearly questions Mombeek's interpretations based on research done by Rodeike (published in an article in the german aviation history magazine "Jet&Prop" 04/2003) according to which no JG1 groundcrew member interviewed for said article could remember anything but black and white. And this article is exactly where I read this, too bad that I had to dispose of many old magazines due to several moves across the last decade. ☹

Very interesting. Do you happen to have a scan of said article that you can share? 

BTW Falk Börsch says otherwise:

By no exceptions at any time all different squadrons of JG1 were painted always in the same respective identical color combination in analogy to the squadron number, and the numbering color of every single plane was corresponding to the coloring of checkerboard.

20 hours ago, sevenless said:

Your memory must play tricks on you. If you look up Eric Mombeeks 3 volume unit diary on volume II page 156-157 you find him explaining the exact checkerboard squadron pattern I/JG 1 used in 1943 up to early-mid 1944.

1./JG1 = black - white

2./JG1 = black - red

3./JG1 = black - yellow

In the single-volume german edition (the translator used to be a Staffelkapitän in JG 1), it's written that only the black/white combination has been confirmed.

I have tried to gather any info from the Prien/ Rodeike book on JGs 1 and 11, but to no avail.

There are very few photos of cherckerboard 190s and all of them seem to show 1./JG 1 birds.

• Like 1

@ sevenless

Like I said I read that article (the topic already was a hot issue back on Ubisoft's boards in the original Il-2) but unfortunately those old magazines were disposed of during one or another move since 2003. 🥺

Edited by csThor
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

In the single-volume german edition (the translator used to be a Staffelkapitän in JG 1), it's written that only the black/white combination has been confirmed.

I have tried to gather any info from the Prien/ Rodeike book on JGs 1 and 11, but to no avail.

There are very few photos of cherckerboard 190s and all of them seem to show 1./JG 1 birds.

Mombeek has photos of black 2 and black 3 of 2./JG1 on page 173. Those are stills from a film taken at Schipol or Deelen in summer 1943. Interestingly those are the only ones with planes other than 1./JG1. 

What in my opinion supports csThor theorie is the fact that Mombeek also shows sketches of some planes with "red"  undercowls (pages 135, 141, 145, 163, 171, 189, 190 and 191) which frankly reminds me of that misinterpretation of Assi Hahn´s 109 back in the 80s for having a red rudder and red cowling.

May absolutely be possible that csThor is correct. 

6 hours ago, csThor said:

@ sevenless

Like I said I read that article (the topic already was a hot issue back on Ubisoft's boards in the original Il-2) but unfortunately those old magazines were disposed of during one or another move since 2003. 🥺

Ah too bad. But after having had a closer look through the sketches shown in Mombeeks book, I indeed share your doubts about the accuracy of the colour interpretations shown there. However we have no way to prove it this way or the other.

Addendum: Thanks to a kind soul on this board, I was able to get hold of said article in Jet&Prop 04/2003 by Peter Rodeike. Indeed it reads that as to his and Jochen Priens research for the cronicles of JG 1 and JG 11 they also carried out several interviews with members of the tech staff of JG 1 and those interviewed "black men" consistently stated that the only checkerboard pattern in I./JG 1 (I. Abteilung) was black-white. So for me, taking all this together, it seems to be highly likely, that the yellow-black and red-black checkerboards which are printed in the Eric Mombeek book (vol II) in a chapter by Thomas A. Tullis on page 156-157 are due to misinterpretation of greyscales of b/w photos.

Thanks for the support to all. You learn something new every day and my take away from this is, that you should stay sceptic, especially when it comes to published colour profiles.

Edited by sevenless
Addendum for Jet+Prop article

Guys while you are at it, can you give us drop drop tanks and torpedoes.

Drop Tanks fore sure.

I am looking a missions flown according to JG 26 Luftwaffe Fighter Wing  War Diary Vol 2. '43 - 45.

• Flying from Nordhorn, Plantlunne and Furstenau to Liege, Aachen and Duren in Dec '44 (Battle of the Bulge) its very hard to create historic missions without drop tanks. is about 500 km (300 miles) round trip. 
Edited by JG7_X-Man
  • Like 2
38 minutes ago, 310_cibule said:

Excellent. It is just one step from being able to add kill marks on one's  plane ; )

Yes! I can imagine it now, 785 kill marks covering the plane from nose to tail :biggrin:

or

68D33462-8A8E-4221-A33B-05F1D17575B2.thumb.png.2be7ea948bf49a78efcd846510c59f41.png

• Haha 4
  • 1CGS
23 hours ago, DetCord12B said:

Bump texture? If it's not done via a separate blank alpha map, or say an injected image format, or one of the other ways. Genuinely curious how this works via the bump map.

Also, will the AI be assigned random aircraft codes and numbers as well, or is this something that's player side only?

I mean it will be affected by the bump texture as you can see from the images we have included, not that they are created using the bump. Weathering and panel-lines from the skin itself are not overlaid onto the decals. We also have limit of how many total decals there are and the colors allowed etc. but there is enough variety and historical shapes to make it look good and worth having.

Like I said, we're lucky the guys figured this out at all considering the sim was never designed to support this. We were able to minimize any issues like anti-aliasing the edges of the codes themselves to not look like crap. 

More information on how they are implemented will be revealed in future DDs. More work to support them is still needed. We are just teasing their existence at the moment.

Jason

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 4

Glad to hear it and looking forward to hearing more about it in the future DDs. Definitely fingers crossed for it being applied to AI aircraft, in Career, as well as without the player having to be the commander and assign the skins like how it is now.

Edited by =AW=Q_Walker

Looking forward to the plane numbers, I hope they show up in career as it'd add a lot to see your wingmen in actual unique skins instead of generic ones.

Are they just going to be fuselage/wing numbers, or squadron insignias and nose art as well?  Will we be able to change the color of wingtips and such?

• Upvote 1

I know I'm a little late to the DD party here, but I just wanted to say;

I'm extremely happy that you guys have managed to do this. Not only because it is an amazing feature that the game was lacking, but also because it also reaffirms why I continually choose to support this dev team with every product you put out. Does the game have issues? Sure, what game doesn't. But the progress that is made each dev cycle, and the fact that improvements that have previously gotten a response of:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/280067427595714562/802235718420004964/unknown.png

(this image is photoshopped btw)

Get added to the game continually show that this team is passionate about the genre and wants to put out an A-grade product.

So thank you.

Edited by [CPT]milopugdog
  • Upvote 3
On 30/01/2021 at 5:37 PM, JG7_X-Man said:

Guys while you are at it, can you give us drop drop tanks and torpedoes.

Drop Tanks fore sure.

I am looking a missions flown according to JG 26 Luftwaffe Fighter Wing  War Diary Vol 2. '43 - 45.

• Flying from Nordhorn, Plantlunne and Furstenau to Liege, Aachen and Duren in Dec '44 (Battle of the Bulge) its very hard to create historic missions without drop tanks. is about 500 km (300 miles) round trip. 

I think they mentioned in the past that it's intended to implement drop tanks.

Fuel system in working.
Previously, its release was postponed due to the redirection of efforts to other works, which were given a higher priority, these are: a new DM of the glider, improved visibility of contacts at short and medium distances, a new model of the pilot's overload tolerance.

image.thumb.png.ccd70efb4905c8c20bfd03b7ddd5789b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It would be cool to see a prioritized list of improvements planned and status. I think MSFS does this and keeps it updated for people to track.

Then we can argues about the prioritization!😆

2 hours ago, Diggun said:

IDK I'm a big fan of the current 'under promise, over deliver, constantly surprise us' model of DD :)

Not commonly found in night clubs I hear.
however from working in the IT sector I'm all for the under promise over deliver strategy, also the "if it broke but you repaired it fast enough nobody noticed, then it technically wasn't broke" model.

• Haha 4
3 hours ago, CDRSEABEE said:

It would be cool to see a prioritized list of improvements planned and status. I think MSFS does this and keeps it updated for people to track.

Then we can argues about the prioritization!😆

No sane company would ever post that without a long list of caveats.  Even then it's risky.  Priorities change.  That's an easy way to consistently enrage a segment of your customer base every time they feel that their pet priority is short changed.  You can see it here.  1C: "Look, we're working on decals".  Response: "Where's air marshal?".  "What about drop tanks?".  

One can produce a list of "these are the things that we would like to do in no particular order" to keep customers interested.  Customers will remain interested if they see that list actively being delivered and not just promised.  I think that's largely what is done by 1C to good effect.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4
55 minutes ago, Melonfish said:

Not commonly found in night clubs I hear.
however from working in the IT sector I'm all for the under promise over deliver strategy, also the "if it broke but you repaired it fast enough nobody noticed, then it technically wasn't broke" model.

If a server blows up in a farm and there's no downtime, does it make a sound?

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

If a server blows up in a farm and there's no downtime, does it make a sound?

No, because it was a VM instance ;)

• Haha 4
1 minute ago, Melonfish said:

No, because it was a VM instance ;)

You saw it here first folks; the great questions of philosophy, answered on a flight sim forum.

Next up, the Ship of Theseus conundrum as interpreted through Rearm, Refuel and Repair functionality and sortie logging on MP servers. 

• Haha 4
7 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

the Ship of Theseus conundrum as interpreted through Rearm, Refuel and Repair functionality and sortie logging on MP servers.

I had no idea you, also, work in academia!

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

No sane company would ever post that without a long list of caveats.  Even then it's risky.  Priorities change.  That's an easy way to consistently enrage a segment of your customer base every time they feel that their pet priority is short changed.  You can see it here.  1C: "Look, we're working on decals".  Response: "Where's air marshal?".  "What about drop tanks?".  

One can produce a list of "these are the things that we would like to do in no particular order" to keep customers interested.  Customers will remain interested if they see that list actively being delivered and not just promised.  I think that's largely what is done by 1C to good effect.  

True but the new people have no idea whats going on unless they read through alot of posts. Be nice to show the newbies whats in the pipeline. 

• 1CGS
On 1/30/2021 at 5:40 PM, Feathered_IV said:

Presumably code selection will be an option for FMB mission makers, not for general users in QMB for example?

Why are you presuming anything? Are you in our meetings? As I have said, we are still working out the implementation, don't assume anything. You have been here a long time and should no better by now.

Jason

On 1/29/2021 at 11:29 AM, Jason_Williams said:

The codes work with the bump texture. The engine was never designed to support this, but the team, namely Sergey, Mike and Daniel found a way. This is something that has to be designed to be included from the start as it affects all the models etc. Any next-gen product we make, will have this in the design from the start so it would be even more flexible than what we've come up with.

It won't be ready for a while as we need to modify all planes and tanks to work with them, so please be patient. Maybe not until the end of the year. This was just a tease since we are pleased with the outcome. And once again, this solution was an offshoot due to working on tanks. :biggrin:

Jason

No same clouds. We already have quite nice clouds. Just depends on the mission settings usually.

Jason

So, i have only one question: will this feature work with all the paint schemes that you guys give us in game or will it only be available for the default paint schemes? (Hence the default skin mustang  you guys are showcasing this feature on these images). Anyway, I’m REALLY looking forward to this. You guys are the best Devs to ever exist.

Edited by Callsign_NEW
  • Han unpinned this topic