THE FALL OF VELIKIE LUKI - SP Scripted Campaign [Hurricane Mk.II]

Posted (edited)

Great fun, JM. Am up to mission 5 or 6 and have survived several near-death experiences! I wish we had the Ju87B - those double guns on the rear of the D when in a large formation are lethal!

Btw, I haven't experienced any of the problems the others reported, although the AI does take some time to line up and takeoff. If I think they're not paying attention I takeoff and circle the airfield until they're up. The night transfer mission takeoff I could see just fine, with my normal gamma setting 0f 0.8, especially with the landing light turned on.

Really enjoyed the GAZ AAA mission, even though I hit nothing and most of my team were killed!

Once again, thanks for making these campaigns for us 👍.

🍻🙂

Edited by 216th_Cat
12 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I'll check again but they should start taxiing as soon as you start taxiing to the right.

Thanks. Thats strange because I started to taxi to the right, with a bit turning to the left because I did not see the airfield, then corrected to the right when I passed the airfield.

Thanks for the campaign JM, I just completed it this afternoon and I enjoyed all of the missions.

I hadn't flown the Hurricane much prior to this, so it was a nice to get some decent flight time in it. I wasn't crazy about the stock ammo load out though but persevered with it for most of the campaign. (Just not enough ammo for someone of my skill set i suppose! 😄 )

The GAZ mission was fun and a welcome inclusion, although the best I could manage was one non-lethal hit on a Stukka.  

I could certainly do with spending more time on sharpening my aim with the AA gun although I'm glad we got the GAZ in the sim. It adds something a little different and provides its own set of challenges. Hopefully other mission makers will include these type of missions in the mix too. 

Velikie Luki is a nice map which I've probably overlooked quite a bit until now.  Some of the missions in this campaign do seem to highlight some of its stronger points. So much so,  I found myself going way off course on the last mission as I was too busy admiring the view while the evening sun spilled the last of the days light out across the land, lakes and rivers below. Stock settings too.  I'm pretty certain I'll end up giving the campaign a replay with Rowdy's Cloud mod at some point and maybe try some different load outs next time.

Oh, one small thing which I thought would have been cool, a re-arm/refuel/repair point at St Toropa airfield in the final mission. I was really enjoying the mission but I had spent most of my ammo pretty quickly on the attacking LW bombers....I wanted that mission to last a bit longer given it was such a cool setting and i was having great fun, so I was a little disappointed I didn't have the option to get back up there when I landed at St Toropa (I understand it probably wouldn't have been realistic per say to have mechanics repairing and re-arming with the LW practically overhead but still.... i need MOAR! 😁)  

Anyway, thanks again for another enjoyable campaign, hopefully you already have plans in place for the next one! 😉

All the best,

Billy.

• Thanks 2
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the review itsbillyfrazier, definetely makes you want more to get back to this campaign. Need to find time.
How do you change loadout? In the first mission I could not do it.

Also, maybe you can try editing the last mission, its really easy to put an object and make it a repair\rearm station.

Edited by Zeev
1 hour ago, Zeev said:

How do you change loadout? In the first mission I could not do it.

Hi Zeev,

I just clicked on the "Hurricane Mk.II" button on the bottom right of the Mission Briefing screen.

Spoiler

ChangeLoadOut.thumb.png.334bc32fbfebec4f87199930aa0cc1b5.png

From there you can choose a few different options for load outs. The screenshot below details some of the potential armament configurations for the campaign. The standard load out is 200 12.7mm BS & 240 SHVAK rounds. So not a huge amount of ammo. But I guess i could have taken four additional Browning .303 MGs with a total of 4572 rounds... Always nice to have some options! :)

Spoiler

LoadzOfAmmo.thumb.png.900e0c20481a8c1d1c31e3e4740ee26a.png

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, itsbillyfrazier said:

Hi Zeev,

I just clicked on the "Hurricane Mk.II" button on the bottom right of the Mission Briefing screen.

Hide contents

From there you can choose a few different options for load outs. The screenshot below details some of the potential armament configurations for the campaign. The standard load out is 200 12.7mm BS & 240 SHVAK rounds. So not a huge amount of ammo. But I guess i could have taken four additional Browning .303 MGs with a total of 4572 rounds... Always nice to have some options! :)

Hide contents

Thank you very much for your help.
For my it will be hispano all the way, although not so realistic for the Soviet side.

Pew pew pew :hunter:

Edited by Zeev
  • Like 1

@itsbillyfrazier thanks for the feedback.

I can certainly add rearm refuel and repair to St Toropa for the last mission. I thought about it but by the time one gets down there and back up the enemies would be gone. 

What could be done is adding another wave of enemies if you take of from St toropa.

Regarding replayability, I intentionally randomized a lot of the enemy attacks so if you fail the mission or you decide to replay the campaign, you might encounter different enemies from different directions. Hopefully that helps making it less repetitive.

Regarding the soviet loadout, i think it's very effective at setting planes on fire, but the amount of ammo is very low (or gets expended quickly). Definitely need economize on the bullets.

• Like 3

@Jade_Monkey

First and foremost congratulations on Child #1!! Boy or Girl? Either way it's his/her JOB to assail you with demands for the next 20 years or so (and that's just BEFORE those demands become negotiable!!) but every moment is a joy once you sit and look back on it. I speak as someone who has just (26th April) had twin Great Grand Daughters, our second and third of that particular generation and I can tell you that they just keep getting better!!

Secondly, a massive thanks for this Campaign. I've just rattled through the 1st and 2nd missions and it bodes well, very well.

Take care and keep it up and regards to your good lady (Mum now) and give the Chiddle a big kiss from the Family Rap!!

Rap

:drinks:

• Like 2
On 5/5/2021 at 2:19 AM, Jade_Monkey said:

I can certainly add rearm refuel and repair to St Toropa for the last mission. I thought about it but by the time one gets down there and back up the enemies would be gone. 

What could be done is adding another wave of enemies if you take of from St toropa.

On reflection, I think i was just bitter with myself as I only managed to take out one bomber in the final mission, and while i was taking him out, a 109 tailed me and landed a few shots on me for good measure.  With my ammo spent and the Hurri starting to look worse for wear I made a dash for St Toropa. On my landing approach, I could still see loads of aerial activity in the distance and was super eager to get back up there.  All in all, it was a great mission but I didn't perform particularly well....I only played the mission once, but I'll certainly play it again!  That said, a RRR option at St Toropa would still be nice. 😄

Regarding replayability, I intentionally randomized a lot of the enemy attacks so if you fail the mission or you decide to replay the campaign, you might encounter different enemies from different directions. Hopefully that helps making it less repetitive.

Very cool you've built this into the mission logic, certainly makes it more appealing to replay.

Regarding the soviet loadout, i think it's very effective at setting planes on fire, but the amount of ammo is very low (or gets expended quickly). Definitely need economize on the bullets.

Yeah it packs a punch alright but punches itself out quickly if  a little heavy on the trigger. I stuck with it as I had great intentions of being more selective with my shots, but in the heat of a furball it rarely plays out that way for me.  I added rockets and bombs on one or two missions, got some real nice hits on a train in one of the missions, was chuffed! 😄

21 hours ago, Raptorattacker said:

@Jade_Monkey

First and foremost congratulations on Child #1!! Boy or Girl? Either way it's his/her JOB to assail you with demands for the next 20 years or so (and that's just BEFORE those demands become negotiable!!) but every moment is a joy once you sit and look back on it. I speak as someone who has just (26th April) had twin Great Grand Daughters, our second and third of that particular generation and I can tell you that they just keep getting better!!

Secondly, a massive thanks for this Campaign. I've just rattled through the 1st and 2nd missions and it bodes well, very well.

Take care and keep it up and regards to your good lady (Mum now) and give the Chiddle a big kiss from the Family Rap!!

Rap

:drinks:

Congratulations to you both!

7 hours ago, itsbillyfrazier said:

On reflection, I think i was just bitter with myself as I only managed to take out one bomber in the final mission, and while i was taking him out, a 109 tailed me and landed a few shots on me for good measure.  With my ammo spent and the Hurri starting to look worse for wear I made a dash for St Toropa. On my landing approach, I could still see loads of aerial activity in the distance and was super eager to get back up there.  All in all, it was a great mission but I didn't perform particularly well....I only played the mission once, but I'll certainly play it again!  That said, a RRR option at St Toropa would still be nice. 😄

Very cool you've built this into the mission logic, certainly makes it more appealing to replay.

Yeah it packs a punch alright but punches itself out quickly if  a little heavy on the trigger. I stuck with it as I had great intentions of being more selective with my shots, but in the heat of a furball it rarely plays out that way for me.  I added rockets and bombs on one or two missions, got some real nice hits on a train in one of the missions, was chuffed! 😄

I am the opposite, I can hit quite well with hispano but maybe from all my time play in this game I hit once someone with a rocket. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Guys, I'm having troubles in 10 mission, I'm able to land at St Toropa field for refuel, but can't get the plane to refuel, even after taxi to a group of fuel tanks. Any help is appreciated.

P.S. Excellent campaign - it's very enjoyable to fly so far! 

1 hour ago, Pegas44 said:

Hi Guys, I'm having troubles in 10 mission, I'm able to land at St Toropa field for refuel, but can't get the plane to refuel, even after taxi to a group of fuel tanks. Any help is appreciated.

P.S. Excellent campaign - it's very enjoyable to fly so far! 

The Fuel trucks are the ones that can refuel you. There are some near the middle of the runway where the fuel tanks are.

You need to turn off your engine. Then you will see a technochat message saying you can refuel. Then keep the refuel key pressed until you fill up the tank or have enough to keep flying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 5/9/2021 at 4:14 PM, Jade_Monkey said:

The Fuel trucks are the ones that can refuel you. There are some near the middle of the runway where the fuel tanks are.

You need to turn off your engine. Then you will see a technochat message saying you can refuel. Then keep the refuel key pressed until you fill up the tank or have enough to keep flying.

Thank you for help.
The refuel key was the thing I've missed, and apparently game input layout menu doesn't show this key, I only found it in input config files.