gunsight adjustment

genelovesjezebel

genelovesjezebel

is there a way to move the center of gunsights up/down/left/right?

pls look at where the fw190d9 localizes its fire, it well above center.

i have noticed all german planes have this attitude.

yet allied planes do not.

any thoughts and help pls?

I suspect what you're seeing is simply the effect of a low height(of the gunsight)-over-bore.

The trajectory of a bullet is roughly parabolic, which means it will cross the sight-axis twice, giving two ranges at which the sights are zeroed (or one, if the zero coincides with the peak of the parabola).

With a large height-over-bore and 50 BMG, as with wing guns, a convergence setting of 400yd means the bullets reach the peak of the parabola right around 400y, where you're zeroed. Thus the rounds will never rise very high above the sight-axis.

With a low height-over-bore, your two zero-ranges for a 400y zero are around 125y and 400y. In between those ranges, the bullets will be above the sight-axis.

The guns on the D-9 aren't 50 BMG so the numbers will be a bit different, but that's the gist of it. To avoid this, try setting your convergence so both zeros are closer together -- probably somewhere in the 250-300y range.

• Upvote 1

Luftschiff

This thread started with a question and then spiralled gracefully from the sky in a flat spin, on fire, like an LA5 with the wing tanks ruptured.

You got your answer old bean, a solid one at that, the rest is just uncalled for. I confess I have never considered the ballistics on the D9 a handicap.

Keep in mind most american planes fire only '50's, whereas most german planes rely more on heavy cannon shells that have to be fired at a much steeper angle, resulting in what you speak of.

Edited by Luftschiff
  • Upvote 2

I got half way through post #3 before I realised it wasn't a poem. More of a mope.

• Haha 1

pocketshaver

this is an issue that i have seen in the latest version of Rise of Flight. 

The only truly accurate sights for german planes seem to be on the most fragile, easiest to kill with a single round planes like the eindecker. 

II/JG17_HerrMurf
18 hours ago, genelovesjezebel said:

is there a way to move the center of gunsights up/down/left/right?

pls look at where the fw190d9 localizes its fire, it well above center.

i have noticed all german planes have this attitude.

yet allied planes do not.

any thoughts and help pls?

In short; you are wrong. All ammo has an arc. Both IRL and in game. You simply do not understand ballistics and/or possibly gravity.

• Upvote 1

pocketshaver

well lets see good video. 

cannon through propellor hub,,,, 400m

wing cannon 300m

wing machine gun, rifle caliber  250m

wing cannon 300m

nothing like a wing and a prayer.