DLC planes & AI in Career mode

I started Career mode in Battle of Moscow as a german pilot. If I will purchase soviet and german DLC planes for Battle of Moscow, Battle of Stalingrand, Kuban etc, will AI use those planes during my Career? Or are those only for the human pilot?

It's a bit boring to fight against MiG-3s over and over again :)

I meet MiG3's 80% of the time. Other 20% is either I-16's or Hurricanes. BOM needs a early Lagg3 series among others. 

I might have see a couple of P-40s a whiiiile ago but Im not sure it was in BOM...

Edit : yes, collector planes are usually used by AI in careers, as I said the Hurricane's there. Both the La5 and LaFN ate there. MC202 in BOS too. 

Collector planes you will never meet flown by AI in careers: P-38 and Ju52. Such a shame.

Edited by I./JG52_Woutwocampe
8 minutes ago, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

I meet MiG3's 80% of the time. Other 20% is either I-16's or Hurricanes. BOM needs a early Lagg3 series among others. 

I might have see a couple of P-40s a whiiiile ago but Im not sure it was in BOM...

Edit : yes, collector planes are usually used by AI in careers, as I said the Hurricane's there. Both the La5 and LaFN ate there. MC202 in BOS too. 

Collector planes you will never meet flown by AI in careers: P-38 and Ju52. Such a shame.

I think i saw ju52 in yak1b career, it wasn't target objective however....i could be wrong, it was a long time since i played SP

37 minutes ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

I think i saw ju52 in yak1b career, it wasn't target objective however....i could be wrong, it was a long time since i played SP

We should see them in BOS from time to time. Behind german lines though, so they would indeed not be your target often.

2 hours ago, 666kontkis said:

I started Career mode in Battle of Moscow as a german pilot. If I will purchase soviet and german DLC planes for Battle of Moscow, Battle of Stalingrand, Kuban etc, will AI use those planes during my Career? Or are those only for the human pilot?

From a licensing point of view all aircraft are available for AI use.  Owning a plane means you can fly it, but the AI can fly any plane.  After that it is up to mission/career design as to what planes appear in any given mission.

2 hours ago, 666kontkis said:

You get the enemy by your chosen battlefield. If you are close to an Mig-3 squadron, you will get Mig-3 as enemy. As i started my moscow campaign, i only got I16, after carrying over to another airfield, i only get Mig-3 and very rarely another fighter. There is no random fighter mission generator i guess.

1 hour ago, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

I met P 38s twice in the first chapter of Bodenplatte career. Maybe a bug?:o:

But I was based in Wiesbaden in the south of the map.

29 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

I met P 38s twice in the first chapter of Bodenplatte career. Maybe a bug?:o:

But I was based in Wiesbaden in the south of the map.

I was told by Jason that the P-51 and the P-38 didnt spawn as enemy AI planes in BoBP careers because of a configuration problem. I completed a whole Dora career without seeing a single Mustang or Lightning. Idem for my 262 career right now. Maybe they do spawn but very rarely, because of the way the missions are generated in careers. There's also the Spitfire, as AI enemy plane, you can see them in the first 2 or 3 missions of the first chapter of BoBP only, after that, apparantly, the RAF used the tempest exclusively....

• 1CGS

I was told by Jason that the P-51 and the P-38 didnt spawn as enemy AI planes in BoBP careers because of a configuration problem. I completed a whole Dora career without seeing a single Mustang or Lightning. Idem for my 262 career right now. Maybe they do spawn but very rarely, because of the way the missions are generated in careers. There's also the Spitfire, as AI enemy plane, you can see them in the first 2 or 3 missions of the first chapter of BoBP only, after that, apparantly, the RAF used the tempest exclusively....

Don’t recall this.

Jason

4 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Don’t recall this.

Jason

I do. You told me to produce a track to show AI related bugs, I asked you if I had to produce tracks also for every single mission I flew in BoBP to prove the AI p-38 and p-51 dont spawn and you answered me 'that wont be necessary, they dont spawn because of the way the careers are configured'

Edit : my mistake, Luke answered, not you.

Edited by I./JG52_Woutwocampe

It is going to be mostly P-47s as they were they supplied most of the tactical units.   There was only one P-38 fighter group left in Europe by Bodenplatte.  I'm not sure if the P-51 group was an 8th AF group that got moved to Europe or a 9th.  The 9th (354th FG) did fly some Mustangs.  Regardless, most of the planes doing tactical work were P-47s.

3 hours ago, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

There's also the Spitfire, as AI enemy plane, you can see them in the first 2 or 3 missions of the first chapter of BoBP only, after that, apparantly, the RAF used the tempest exclusivel

I was never too deep into a BOBP career, but more than two or three missions and only met Spitfires, never a Tempest.

IIRC the careers for the P 38 and P 51 start a few days later, so this might be the reason why at the beginning of the career you won't encounter them as enemies. I guess at the time the career mode starts, these squadrons were still based outside of the map.

9 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

It is going to be mostly P-47s as they were they supplied most of the tactical units.   There was only one P-38 fighter group left in Europe by Bodenplatte.  I'm not sure if the P-51 group was an 8th AF group that got moved to Europe or a 9th.  The 9th (354th FG) did fly some Mustangs.  Regardless, most of the planes doing tactical work were P-47s.

I'll check tonight nearby allied aifields in my 262 career and see what planes they fly. 

Indeed the P-38 shouldnt be around much by Jan 45, we'll see about mustangs. 

Me 262 career

I./KG 51 (Rheine)

Obviously Im north of the map and indeed its RAF everywhere around the 1st canadian army. What I find weird is that its half spits and half tempests here but I always encounter tempests but no spit? Like the game would only generate missions with the Volkel squadrons taking off, not the guys at Heesch.

There are mustangs, at Chièvres, south west, far away from me, 328th, 476th and 487th FS. And south but near the frontline, Florennes' 428th, 429th and 430th FS sport lightnings. Its mostly p-47s down there, like 80%. So its normal that you dont see them often especially if you are north of the map. But I do think the game generates mostly the same missions with the same flightpaths in BoBP so you simply never see them or almost. That explain why its pretty redundant.

As I am usually flying in the south I am fine only encountering aircrafts flying for King George when we fly up to Aachen, but flying deep in the American sector in the south I definitely would expect Teddy sending some of his aircrafts to welcome us.

EDIT: Of course it was Franky, not Teddy

Edited by Yogiflight
  • Haha 1
33 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

As I am usually flying in the south I am fine only encountering aircrafts flying for King George when we fly up to Aachen, but flying deep in the American sector in the south I definitely would expect Teddy sending some of his aircrafts to welcome us.

I spent half of my Dora career in the south. It was P-47s, every single time. My guns were aching for a lightning or a mustang! 

Hello,

It seems to come from the way the algorithm chooses AI units based on the type of mission.

1 °) There is a compartmentalization between American and RAF.

When you play with the RAF, Spitfire or Tempest in the Arnhem region, you should encounter friendly American AIs because historically both nations operated in the same sector, but in modecareer this is not the case.

2 °) The algorithm chooses the enemy Ai closest to your mission, for example if you play on the German side, you have a better chance of meeting P47 squadrons because they are closer to the front, the P38 are based more in withdrawal to Florennes.

I had noticed the same thing on BOS in Stalingrad on the Russian side we only intercept Stuka units and never Ju88 or He111 units which are based very far away.

3 °) if you have an enemy base in your objective sector, the algorithm seems to take the first squadrons on the list.

I noticed this because I assigned a different skin per squadron in the "skin" file, indenting the squadrons in the analysis of the mission track allowed me these observations, of course I could be wrong.

You should therefore be able to configure the random choice of AI squadrons and the number of AIs according to the power of your PC. Currently it seems that the max of AI squadrons is about 6 units max with varying sizes.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, MarcoPegase44 said:

2 °) The algorithm chooses the enemy Ai closest to your mission, for example if you play on the German side, you have a better chance of meeting P47 squadrons because they are closer to the front, the P38 are based more in withdrawal to Florennes.

OK, but why then, do I encounter British bombers comming from the American sector?

2 hours ago, MarcoPegase44 said:

3 °) if you have an enemy base in your objective sector, the algorithm seems to take the first squadrons on the list.

Then I should always encounter American aircrafts, when flying in the American sector, as there are no British units based.

4 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

OK, but why then, do I encounter British bombers comming from the American sector?

I think it is because the nationalities of both A20s and B25s are set to RAF in BoBP. AFAIK there are no AI mediums with US nationality in the BoBP career. That might change once the A26 Marauder from BoN gets retrofitted into BoBP. AFAIK that one was only used by the US.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, sevenless said:

I think it is because the nationalities of both A20s and B25s are set to RAF in BoBP. AFAIK there are no AI mediums with US nationality in the BoBP career. That might change once the A26 Marauder from BoN gets retrofitted into BoBP. AFAIK that one was only used by the US.

That would of course make sense. Thanks for clearing that.

Keep it coming people, some of you make very good points that show the limitations of careers and how it particularily affects BoBP. Eventually the devs will have to work on this. 

we are quite a few players who use career mode but on the forum we don t have a place to meet and discuss to help each other as there are places for skins, modes and pwcg.

would it be possible to add this section

I do not know if it is you who should be contacted for this request

23 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Don’t recall this.

Jason

Good evening Jason, Really a big thank you for this soperbe simulation. I asked @blacksix a question which sent me to you. Quite a few of us play modcareer campaigns in single player mode, but we don't have a place to meet up to chat, chat and make suggestions in the forum. The posts concerning the mod career can be found dippersé all over the forum and it is sometimes difficult to find oneself. Could we have a dedicated mod career chat room as is the case for PWCG. ?? thank you so much Best regards

• Upvote 2

One of the bigest flaw in career is lack of proper fighter log, when you can see when and what plane you shot down and in which plane and im curios if in the end of my lifetime i will see that. Please, it was requested long long ago.

another thing which is related to dlc planes is that I bought Yak 9 yesterday, transfered to unit which has this plane, but the commander always want me to fly Yak1b or Yak7b 🤨

I will probably never try it , because im playing rapid career.

28 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

One of the bigest flaw in career is lack of proper fighter log, when you can see when and what plane you shot down and in which plane and im curios if in the end of my lifetime i will see that.

Here's your log for your BoBP german career

You destroyed 484 Hawker tempest mark V.

You're welcome.  

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, MarcoPegase44 said:

The algorithm chooses the enemy Ai closest to your mission, for example if you play on the German side, you have a better chance of meeting P47 squadrons because they are closer to the front, the P38 are based more in withdrawal to Florennes.

This is precisely the case. The mission generator picks squadrons from the closest airfield, depending on the mission type and aircraft called for. It's that way for both friendly and enemy flights. 

35 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

This is precisely the case. The mission generator picks squadrons from the closest airfield, depending on the mission type and aircraft called for. It's that way for both friendly and enemy flights. 

And since BoBP is pretty redundant when it generates missions in careers, you are always sent to the same targets or almost, the AI enemy planes you meet are always the same.

In my spit IX career, 95% of missions are ground troops covers, above the same spot. So I always meet the same 190s from the same airfield, and despite shooting them down day after day, they keep coming back 12 at a time the next day like their squadron was resupplied daily with pilots and planes.

Well, you guys have loads of work to do to improve careers. Best of luck!

18 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

Yep not a single mission in yak9 and yak 9 squadrons are called off from the front. Nice:(

Hurricane is similar.  12 days in Stalingrad, and the squadron is withdrawn.  It may be historically accurate, but a bit of a disappointment...

30 minutes ago, Noisemaker said:

Hurricane is similar.  12 days in Stalingrad, and the squadron is withdrawn.  It may be historically accurate, but a bit of a disappointment...

I often fight MkII's in BOM though, if you wanna fly it in a career, you should start a BOM career then.

As for the Yak 9 and Yak 9T's, I've never seen one in a Kuban career. Never. You see 1b's from start to finish though....

4 hours ago, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

Here's your log for your BoBP german career

You destroyed 484 Hawker tempest mark V.

You're welcome.  

LOL! Yea I know that feeling after having completed my first career with III./JG54 and Dora 9 when BoBP was released. However (shameless plug) I tried to get some variation into the careers by editing some files.

For BoBP I used some standin planes which historically weren´t there at the same place at the same time, but you get some variety with them. It is a constant wip process though and I guess that mod will never get finished. However, having fun flying in the careers is my main aim with that tiny mod.

Addition of Hurricane Mk II as a groundpounder in BoK. Addition of P51D15 as Mustang III standin in BoBP for RAF, Hurricane Mk II as Typhoon Ib standin in BoBP and Spitfire Vb as IXc standin in BoBP to increase variability. Several AI plane additions also. 

Check it out:

[MOD] Extended Il2 BoX careers - Mods - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum

Edited by sevenless
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, LukeFF said:

If I understand with the current setting of the generator mission, it is not possible that on the BOS career in Stalingrad to have bombing raids with He111 and Ju88 which are based too far away whereas historically they have participated a lot in Stalingrad .

Likewise for BOPB, the P38 fighters will never be activated because they are too far away in Florenne.

There is no way to change the generator settings to modify this.

currently this is the reason why many players feel monotony in ModCareer

A solution would it not be with the "Fake" squadrons ????

Edited by MarcoPegase44
  • Upvote 1
58 minutes ago, sevenless said:

LOL! Yea I know that feeling after having completed my first career with III./JG54 and Dora 9 when BoBP was released. However (shameless plug) I tried to get some variation into the careers by editing some files.

For BoBP I used some standin planes which historically weren´t there at the same place at the same time, but you get some variety with them. It is a constant wip process though and I guess that mod will never get finished. However, having fun flying in the careers is my main aim with that tiny mod.

Addition of Hurricane Mk II as a groundpounder in BoK. Addition of P51D15 as Mustang III standin in BoBP for RAF, Hurricane Mk II as Typhoon Ib standin in BoBP and Spitfire Vb as IXc standin in BoBP to increase variability. Several AI plane additions also. 

Check it out:

[MOD] Extended Il2 BoX careers - Mods - IL-2 Sturmovik Forum

Thanks man really appreciated. I remember back then editing files of the old IL2 game myself. Both as flyable in careers and AI enemy planes and tweaking of % of spawning. It wasnt totally  realistic of course but a lot of fun. I remember once fighting the I-185s thinking they were la5s on crack hahaha.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, MarcoPegase44 said:

Likewise for BOPB, the P38 fighters will never be activated because they are too far away in Florenne.

There is no way to change the generator settings to modify this.

currently this is the reason why many players feel monotony in ModCareer

As I see things the only way to solve this for the player is to throw overboard a little historical accuracy and put the P38s, or at least one squadron of P38s, in the vicinity where most german career player air traffic takes place in the career (Maastricht area) and hope to trigger that given P-38 squadron. I never ever encountered P38s or P51s in any stock german career I have flown yet.

I´ll keep that on my list (P38s) for the next update of my mod. Maybe I find an AI or flyable squadron which, when switched from P47s to P38s, can do the trick.

The perfect solution, of course would be, if the devs find a way to allow units over the battlefield which have no home airbase on the map. That would allow RAF and US units chasing trains, attacking targets of opportunity or german bomber units (Ju-88 and He111) to be present as targets for the player although those units have no homebase on the map. That feature could really spice up the career mode.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Could there be some way around this, for the Ju-52 at least?  For example set Pitomnik and Gumrak as bases for some AI transports so the player can encounter them coming and going?  They were such a defining feature of the later battles that a little compromise there could add to the overall experience. 

39 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Could there be some way around this, for the Ju-52 at least?  For example set Pitomnik and Gumrak as bases for some AI transports so the player can encounter them coming and going?  They were such a defining feature of the later battles that a little compromise there could add to the overall experience. 

That's something only the developers could address.

10 hours ago, I./JG52_Woutwocampe said:

As for the Yak 9 and Yak 9T's, I've never seen one in a Kuban career.

I have encountered Yak 9s exactly once in Kuban during a JG 52 career.

Oddly enough however, I encountered the flight over Novorossiysk in May of 1943 at a time when no VVS units on the map appeared to be equipped with the plane.
Since this encounter I have yet to see them again though, and I've written it off as some kind of fluke.

I've also encountered Spitfires a handful of times in the same career, something which seems to be quite a rarity.

Edited by Ram399
  • Upvote 1