CLODB+DWT Not Launching on New HP Computer

I have CLODB+DWT on an older HP (Win 10) that I've been using with no real problems (the occasional program crash, but I live with that).   I just got a brand new HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop with a AMD Radeon™ RX 5500 Graphics (4 GB GDDR6 dedicated) card and other upgrades. I wanted to move all my files and programs/ FS games from the older HP to the new HP. I used Laplink PCmover (as recommended by MS) to do the move. The Laplink mover did move everything from the older HP to the new HP. However, now CLODB+DWT will not launch. I also have the same problem with Rise of Flight - neither FS will launch in the new HP. The desktop short cuts will start to launch - in both cases - and I get the starting overview, then the screen blinks a couple of times and I'm back to the desktop. I've checked the program files in the new HP against the program file in the older HP and they all seem to be there (I'm not very computer literate). Since I'm having the same/similar problems with both FS programs, it seems like there is a common issue that is probably simple to resolve. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks much --- Jcole

I am not familiar with that program nor have I ever tried to move the whole installation. But what you described seems like other cases I’ve seen reported here. Mostly due to some corrupted file.

For CloD, is the game in your Steam List? Seems so since it’s starting. What about your My Documents/1C SoftClub/Il-2 Cliffs of Dover folder? I would save the .ini files in that one and delete the whole folder and restart the game. Steam will repair it (and your config will be reset). If that works, put your .ini files back there and you should be good to go. If when you replace the .inis with your own it fails to start again, try to do so separately until you find the culprit.

I take it that you did not move your disc drives from one computer to another, and that it was a disc cloning sofware used to transfer the programs. Did it come with operating system already installed or was that part of the transfer or did you re-install that?. Do you use everything from the C\: drive cos if games are not in same place as previous steam installs may not know where they are now (although I guess it may tell you that it cannot find them).

Its possible that your passwords are no longer accessable or that any anti virus software on the new machine will have to enable the games to work again (in fact your description sounds like the effect AV s.w has on these games) so ensure av s/w has their access enabled first off

Edited by 56RAF_Stickz

J-HAT -- Thanks much for your reply and advise. I want to make sure I do this correctly, as I'm not confident enough with computers. I see five (5) .ini files in the /Il-2 Cliffs of Dover folder.

I should :

1. Copy/save all five (5) to a separate location

2. Then delete the entire /Il-2 Cliffs of Dover folder

3. Then re-start CLODB-DWT from Steam(?), desktop short cut(?), exe file(?)

4. Steam will re-generate the deleted folder 

5. Add back in the saved/copied .ini files and re-start the program

6. if that does not work, remove the .ini files again and begin to add them back one at a time, with re-starts in between until the program launches. 

Let me know if I've got this right, please. 

if so, I'll give it a try --- thanks

Edited by jcole

I'm not familiar with the software you used and I don't know what's causing the problem. As the programs start but fail to load properly, my guess would be that some dependencies are missing. Migration is risky process that often causes weird problems.

I would strongly recommend resetting your new PC to remove everything and reinstall your software cleanly. It will be fairly quick and painless as long as you have a good internet connection. This approach assures that your new system will be stable.

Later, you can transfer any files that you want to keep from your old PC.

56RAF - The new HP came w/o a disc drive. I ordered an external disc drive from Amazon that should be arriving today. as to the move software: The Laplink software was downloaded for WIN 10 OS to both the new and old HPs. The two HPs were then connected via Ethernet cable, when directed. took about an hour and a half to complete the transfer. Had some problems with other programs that required some adjustments.  all my PWs seem to work ok. the only outstanding issue to be fixed are these two FS programs. please educate me - what is AV s.w.? 

thanks for your reply -- Jcole 

Mitthrawnuruodo - I was thinking that a program delete and re-install might be the easies thing to do. Problem for me is where can  I find the programs to download? it's my ignorance again but I don't see  or could find anywhere on Steam to download my the programs. I didn't buy CLODB thru Steam, only DWT. Again, thanks much for your reply and help --- Jcole

Edited by jcole

As you use that transfer tool, some stuff that CloD needs may not have been installed...

This folder:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist

(If steam is installed elsewhere, then you'll have to look elsewhere...)

There are some subfolders in there, and in those there are some specific executable files you need to run:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\DXSETUP.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\DotNet\4.0\dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\DotNet\4.7\NDP472-KB4054530-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2010\vcredist_x64.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Steamworks Shared\_CommonRedist\vcredist\2015\vc_redist.x64.exe

Right click and select 'Run as administrator'

Some may report 'already installed' or 'a newer version has already been installed' or similar. That's not an issue.

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, jcole said:

Mitthrawnuruodo - I was thinking that a program delete and re-install might be the easies thing to do. Problem for me is where can  I find the programs to download? it's my ignorance again but I don't see  or could find anywhere on Steam to download my the programs. I didn't buy CLODB thru Steam, only DWT. Again, thanks much for your reply and help --- Jcole

No problem.

CLODB and DWT are distributed only through Steam, so if you already had them on your previous system as you said, they should be available in your Steam "Library", downloadable in a few clicks.

Downloads for ROF, Great Battles, and other games will either be on Steam or their respective web stores, depending on your purchase location.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo
3 hours ago, jcole said:

J-HAT -- Thanks much for your reply and advise. I want to make sure I do this correctly, as I'm not confident enough with computers. I see five (5) .ini files in the /Il-2 Cliffs of Dover folder.

I should :

1. Copy/save all five (5) to a separate location

2. Then delete the entire /Il-2 Cliffs of Dover folder

3. Then re-start CLODB-DWT from Steam(?), desktop short cut(?), exe file(?)

4. Steam will re-generate the deleted folder 

5. Add back in the saved/copied .ini files and re-start the program

6. if that does not work, remove the .ini files again and begin to add them back one at a time, with re-starts in between until the program launches. 

Let me know if I've got this right, please. 

if so, I'll give it a try --- thanks

Hey jcole,  yeah, that is correct. It doesn't matter what you use to run, since everything points to your .exe in your Steamapps folder. But just to be sure use the Shortcut or directly through Steam, not the .exe (no need for that).

Before 5, make sure you game works properly.

BTW, the inis hold your personal configuration like key bindings, settings, info windows, gun belting and convergence etc. The worst that can happen by deleting the folder will be you lose your personal configs and need to rebind etc. everything again.

Edited by 9./JG52_J-HAT

Sorry for the late response. I've been deep diving into files. 

To All -- Thanks much for all the help. 

I tried the executable files suggested by DD_FT, and of the five, three(3) were already installed. I installed the other two and ......... it worked! Well, partially anyway. 

Those files worked fully on the Rise of Flight FS. The programs starts and runs like a Champ. No issues at all. And the new computer and video card is just ...WOW!

Those same files got me into CLODB+DWT, that is either thru Steam or the Desktop short cut. The program starts, I get music  and I can maneuver thru the various pages. I can set up for my controller and throttle quard ( all my previous setting are gone). I can select a mission or flight, select an alternate (or not) aircraft, get everything for the flight set up. Then when I press the START button, the program goes to black, crashes and I'm back to the Steam page or my desktop. Sometimes (I've tried re-starts 6 or 7 times) I'll get the cockpit view for a second, then crash. 

Doing a Line-By-Line search of the five (5) .ini files from the older HP and comparing them to the files moved to the new HP,  I found a discrepancy  in the conf.ini file. A line item  was missing in the [core] sub group of the moved file (on the new HP). The old, original  file (old HP) has " VisDistActorStatics=1" ; the new, moved file in the new HP is missing this line. otherwise all the .ini files are the same between the older HP and the moved files to the new HP. I don't know if this is significant in any way. 

J-HAT -- thanks for the follow up to my question with your clear instructions. I'll try this in the morning. Its getting late here in my Time Zone and I probably need a clearer head my self before I start monkeying around with software files. I'll follow up with a progress report tomorrow.

Again, thanks for all your help --- Jcole  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, jcole said:

Sorry for the late response. I've been deep diving into files. 

To All -- Thanks much for all the help. 

I tried the executable files suggested by DD_FT, and of the five, three(3) were already installed. I installed the other two and ......... it worked! Well, partially anyway. 

Those files worked fully on the Rise of Flight FS. The programs starts and runs like a Champ. No issues at all. And the new computer and video card is just ...WOW!

Those same files got me into CLODB+DWT, that is either thru Steam or the Desktop short cut. The program starts, I get music  and I can maneuver thru the various pages. I can set up for my controller and throttle quard ( all my previous setting are gone). I can select a mission or flight, select an alternate (or not) aircraft, get everything for the flight set up. Then when I press the START button, the program goes to black, crashes and I'm back to the Steam page or my desktop. Sometimes (I've tried re-starts 6 or 7 times) I'll get the cockpit view for a second, then crash. 

Doing a Line-By-Line search of the five (5) .ini files from the older HP and comparing them to the files moved to the new HP,  I found a discrepancy  in the conf.ini file. A line item  was missing in the [core] sub group of the moved file (on the new HP). The old, original  file (old HP) has " VisDistActorStatics=1" ; the new, moved file in the new HP is missing this line. otherwise all the .ini files are the same between the older HP and the moved files to the new HP. I don't know if this is significant in any way. 

J-HAT -- thanks for the follow up to my question with your clear instructions. I'll try this in the morning. Its getting late here in my Time Zone and I probably need a clearer head my self before I start monkeying around with software files. I'll follow up with a progress report tomorrow.

Again, thanks for all your help --- Jcole  

Great, let us know.

And just in case, once you tested it the way I posted and you are still getting the crashes when loading the mission (when hitting fly so to say and the game loads the cockpit) try setting your game to Windows 7 compatibility mode. Do this after everything else just so you don‘t change two things at once and only if needed. It solved the problems I was having when loading missions (i.e. hitting fly) and loading multiplayer servers.

Here‘s is an example of how to do that:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/15523-change-compatibility-mode-settings-apps-windows-10-a.html

scroll down a bit, it‘s under „Step one“.

Edited by 9./JG52_J-HAT
16 hours ago, jcole said:

please educate me - what is AV s.w.? 

anti virus software JCole. You often have to tell it to allow your machine to run the games. It usually comes under exceptions and you have to give the exe files name that run the game. Win10 is extremely fussy about controlling access to the cpu core (kernal).

As it was running on old pc then that either had no anti virus s/w or exceptions already made. However it may not be transferred the same to a new pc, however as you seem to have got past the initial problems it is probably a moot point now. Hoping you get it sorted, there is a problems page and also help over on the ATAG forum that may help you.

First all, thanks again for all your help and patience.
Status update: 

Following J-HAT’s  advice, I saved the five (5) .ini files to my desktop, then deleted the entire /Il-2 Cliffs of Dover folder.  I then re-started the program via Steam. No joy -it just crashes.  Tried a re-start via the CLODB/DWT desktop short cut. Still no joy. Went into the files , finding that the deleted file had re-generated, as you all said it would, but it was missing the user.ini file. I added that one back and closing everything, Re-started via Steam. Still not starting.  I then tried re-sitting Compatibility mode. Compatibility troubleshooter recommended WIN 8, so tried it. That worked. I was able to get all the way to the cockpit view for the FIRST Solo Takeoff mission. Had troubles with control and HAT views but I hadn’t done much for re-binding any keys, so that was no surprise. Saved that WIN 8 setting, exited the program and re-started via Steam. Immediately crashed. Went back into Compatibility mode and selected WIN 7. Re- started again via Steam and I was in! Went to Several different areas clicking on aircraft and missions - all loaded. Open the OPTIONS folder to set up some controls and the selected TRAINING FIRST SOLO. Program crashed again. I tried several re-starts and sometimes I got all the way in  and was able to fly an aircraft, all though my flight and engine controls were “iffy” as the ones I had keyed in didn’t work all the time (but that another issue to be discussed).  More often the program just crashes and didn’t start. 
The inconsistency of the program, or my ham-handed efforts to fix it, are becoming a bit frustrating. I’m going to take some time away and re-think all this by driving some nails into 2x4s. I’ll be back in a bit.

Again, thanks all. 

Edited by jcole

Too bad it didn’t work.
At this point I‘ll just repeat what other have already said then: uninstall and delete everything from CloD and just redownload and let it install theough Steam when you get the patience again. I think that’s the easiest way now. Good luck!