Hello all,

after some years i retried the career system. I did not expect much from the enemy AI, but it seems that the friendly AI had become worse. There are exciting missions like river crossing and save groundtroops. Several squadron defend a single ground target. After some minutes a few enemy fighter appear. 8 !!! comrades began to fight 2 low level enemy fighter. During the fight 2 crashed on the ground, 4 fighter lost all bullets and all fighter retreated and not a single of the 2 enemies were destroyed. Some minutes later the ground attack planes ripped of all targets. It is so much frustrating that i always loose all fun to play the next career mission. The AI shoots 10 seconds long burts and does not hit anything. In over 30 missions now not a single squadron pilot has shot down another fighter, but i lost dozen of other pilots. Dear IL2 team, after so many years of frustrating playing with AI, i encourage you to try the career system yourself and fix the most anoying problems. 

See the picture 5 Bf 109 can not shoot down a single Mig-3. 10s later most 109 lost all its ammunition.

2021_1_24__9_18_38.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

thanks for stopping me from setting my sim hardware and start playing again.

I have to study for some final but I was tempted to set the hardware again (pedals, throttle, etc), but since I have little space in my PC desk, the hardware can be kinda annoying, but that's a price I have to pay to play such a beautiful game...

Beautiful game... until I encounter some AI plane, enemy or friendly. 

Still, last time I tried career, despite the AI, I had a great time playing the Blue Squadron. Ah man, I miss it tbh

Well, yes and no. 

In easy and many times in moderate difficulty it's like what you describe.
Long bursts until they are out of ammo.

In hard, AI is far more effective at killing each other.
Not 100% of the time, but they do do their jobs in most cases.

On the other hand, konga lines, team killing and manoeuvre teamkills are still there in every and all difficulty levels.

• Haha 1

I tried all settings. It is the same result. If you play hard it means that the enemy AI might be better, but why should your own AI needs to get better on hard. It would make much it easier for yourself. Dont get me wrong the enemy AI behind you is often a sharp shooter, even in tight turns, but friendly AI dont hit anymore when the fight begins. It is another thing against bomber. If they fly straight your AI can be very effective, but dont let them turn.

Edited by JG27_Steini

Yes as the bug report shows this isn't limited to career or related to difficulty level and definitely not exclusive to friendly AI. All fighter AI do this in dogfights and the fact that they love turning everything in to a turning fight makes it even worse since all they do is lag pursuit and spray.

I hope that AI pilots will learn some short shooting or precision skills from the current rear gunners, and the rear gunners should not have the ability of "force shooting" or full-angle precision shooting.

• Upvote 1

Yes, it's really bad. I'm trying to play the great scripted campaigns at the moment and it takes a lot of fun away seeing this AI behaviour. (Plus the many ground crashes).