Developer Diary 269 - Discussion

• 1CGS
Han
1 minute ago, Han said:
Dear friends,

So, here is the new year 2021! Like anyone else, we're going to hope that it will be better than the previous one. However, for IL-2 Great Battles, the last year was quite positive in spite of all complications. We hope that we'll build on this success this year - the plans are quite extensive. Let's start with the first in-game shots of the British fighter Hawker Typhoon Mk.Ib which is being developed for the Battle of Normandy.

Meanwhile, the AAA trucks are also showing good progress - the GAZ-MM with the 72-K gun will be ready first.

Full news - here is a full text and visual materials

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 4
  • Han pinned this topic
6FG_Big_Al

Nice to hear that everything is coming along on the map and the GAZ gun looks good 😄 Can't wait to test it out

• Upvote 1
Tomi_099

Master work ..

I'm curious about the animation .. that's another challenge that comes into play here! :good:

LR.-Astra-theRedPanda

Great shots of Typhoon, keep up good work!

40plus

These AAA trucks have me the most excited I've been for an update since the P-38.

Can't wait

Edited by 40plus
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
RedKestrel
2 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

That Tiffy! 😍

Soon, we will have the Hawker trifecta in the sim!

• Like 3
Jade_Monkey

Very detailed 3D work on the gun, I thought the welding was done at the skin/bump map level. 

Looks fantastic, same as the tiffie.

616Sqn_Johnny-Red
1 minute ago, LF_Gallahad said:

Tiffy is going to be tons of fun!

There's nothing in the BoN plane set that won't be awesome, but for me the Typhoon eclipses almost everything, even the legendary Mossie and the handsome 410. That armament on a single engined fighter... It's a mud-movers dream come true.

• Upvote 2
Avimimus

So when does spring end for you? 😄 For me, in Ottawa, it the end of spring "maybe sometime in May".

RedKestrel
1 minute ago, Avimimus said:

So when does spring end for you? 😄 For me, in Ottawa, it the end of spring "maybe sometime in May".

Once you can take a dip in the Rideau canal you are probably safe.

I think of the May 24 weekend being the beginning of summer, but TECHNICALLY its well into June.

I haven't had snow on the ground where I am in May for a few years but I never count it out. Camping in sub-zero temperatures on the long weekend in May is to be expected.

"Before end of Spring" to me means "May/June", which seems like a reasonable estimate.

• Haha 1
Blitzen

I know the chances slim to non-existent but I still hope for a “car door” option.....I can dream can’t I?

C126E4AF-5E3D-45F6-88AD-6CAFB2FB8CEA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Avimimus
2 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I know the chances slim to non-existent but I still hope for a “car door” option.....I can dream can’t I?

We're always allowed to dream  - even of impossibilities...

Maybe if it is wildly successful they'd do a 1942 (Typhoon early, Spit IXc, Fw-190A4, Do-217E, Mustang Mk.I)... not very likely, but we can still dream.

As for me - I'm ecstatic to get anything at this point!

Edited by Avimimus
No_Face

I can't wait to have the German anti-aircraft vehicle in my hands! ☺️ (Yes I know, there is still time)

Well, on the other hand I am not very good at identification so there will surely be teamkill. 😅

sevenless

Yes!

Now hurry up and allow me to spread some love on the Rheinland map with "Pulverizer IV" 🙂

image.png.7c40d704de73ca5245e3c297f7b6f691.png

• Upvote 1
Avimimus
Just now, Swing said:

Can't wait for this AAA vehicules...:hunter:...:biggrin:

I'm quite curious if the controls will be more complicated than those on aircraft turrets... for instance - do any of these turrets have rapid traverse as well as fine traverse?

It sounds like the gun-sight, at the very least, will be more complicated (something like a deflector sight?)

• 1CGS
Jason_Williams
49 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

I'm quite curious if the controls will be more complicated than those on aircraft turrets... for instance - do any of these turrets have rapid traverse as well as fine traverse?

It sounds like the gun-sight, at the very least, will be more complicated (something like a deflector sight?)

Was more like a team effort, more like how a tank operates. Several people involved. We have to solve how to represent this, but still make it entertaining and possible to shoot things down. Just another challenge we have to overcome per usual. 

Jason

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 6
I./JG1_Baron
1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

C126E4AF-5E3D-45F6-88AD-6CAFB2FB8CEA.jpeg

Unfortunately the Devs time before said that Typhoon with car door will not. 

Missionbug

The Typhoon looks every part the beast of legend we all love, looking forward to to it very much, lovely model, congratulations to the modeller.:cool:

Also as impressive are the flak vehicles, very detailed and they should be quite a interesting addition to the series, again congratulations to the builders, I like the weld effect and what seems to be degraded pocked metal, be interesting to know how those are created.:drinks:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

LukeFF
31 minutes ago, migmadmarine said:

Was the soviet gun aimed by two people like the 40mm bofors?

I believe so:

EDIT: whoops wrong gun model, but the concept is similar.

Capture.thumb.JPG.d626a5cc158a2cf823a82736ee07b683.JPG

Edited by LukeFF
migmadmarine

Looking closely at the mount as modeled, it looks interesting. I imagine the gun commander is the the one that sits on the seat in line with the barrel, and the gunner to his front right where the hand wheels are. Looks like the centerline seat also has a traverse wheel, but I don't see one for elevation. And it looks like the telescopic site is positioned for the centerline seat and not the right hand? 

Jade_Monkey

a significant part of AI-controlled ground vehicles planned for Normandy are already done

Will we see them in-game soon? I bet a lot of them will work well with BOBP.

migmadmarine

Certainly hope there will be gaps filled for the allied ground units. A Bofors 40mm is sorely lacking, and some British vehicles to compliment the American ones would be good. 

• Like 1
Avimimus
1 hour ago, Jason_Williams said:

Was more like a team effort, more like how a tank operates. Several people involved. We have to solve how to represent this, but still make it entertaining and possible to shoot things down. Just another challenge we have to overcome per usual. 

Jason

"Just another challenge we have to overcome per usual"

That attitude along with the iterative improvements to realism driven by the team members... well... it makes the team rather epic. I think I'll still be a fan on the day I die (even after decades after the team has moved on to other projects).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
II/JG17_HerrMurf
17 minutes ago, sonicapollo said:

Any word on the P51B/C? I would think that one would come before spring. :)

It all depends on the process and whatever hiccups they encounter. Items routinely move up and down the to do list. Any of the BoN AC could be accelerated or delayed. AC release when they are ready and not on a fixed timeline.

BornToBattle

No FC2 news? Most likely everyone is concentrating on Normandy for now I suppose.

IckyATLAS

On the longer term can we expect to have more and more of the existing vehicles be as nicely modelled and available for those who want them as collector items.

Can we also expect some new vehicles like tractors for airfield work and other utility vehicles ? 

This being for German and Allies versions.

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Haha 2
[DBS]Browning
2 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

On the longer term can we expect to have more and more of the existing vehicles be as nicely modelled and available for those who want them as collector items.

Can we also expect some new vehicles like tractors for airfield work and other utility vehicles ? 

This being for German and Allies versions.

That certainly depends on how well they sell. 

SCG_FeuerFliegen
2 hours ago, [DBS]Browning said:

That certainly depends on how well they sell. 

Exactly - vote with your money!

• Han unpinned this topic