"Object Unidentified" Error in PWCG FC Missions

Salute!  So I purchased FC at a great price during the recent sale and have been flying a lot of missions, mostly in the Bristol Fighter F2B.  Very enjoyable and nice change of pace from flying World War Two aircraft.  What's not so enjoyable is getting the "Object Unidentified" error frequently during my missions causing screen lockup.  I did a search on "Object Unidentified" and read some of the threads from 2018 describing it.  Seems to be related to incomplete strings in the mission file, such as line should be Carriages = G8 tender (as first car) but instead is blank or shows meaningless symbols.  I found a work-around in the form of using the Alt + Tab keys when the Object Unidentified error and screen lock up take place.  I keep using Alt + Tab until I can find and click on the small box that shows the Object Unidentified error to make it go away and allow me to resume the mission.  I usually have to do the Alt + Tab thing a few times before I can get a fix on the box to click the OK in it.  Kind of a pain but it works. At any rate, does anyone have any other ideas how to fix or avoid the Object Unidentified error problem cropping up?  FWIW I've tried different, lower Simple and Advanced Configuration settings but that does not seem to help.  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry if I didn't explain the problem clearly.  Thanks!  Swoose

14 hours ago, No105_Swoose said:

Salute!  So I purchased FC at a great price during the recent sale and have been flying a lot of missions, mostly in the Bristol Fighter F2B.  Very enjoyable and nice change of pace from flying World War Two aircraft.  What's not so enjoyable is getting the "Object Unidentified" error frequently during my missions causing screen lockup.  I did a search on "Object Unidentified" and read some of the threads from 2018 describing it.  Seems to be related to incomplete strings in the mission file, such as line should be Carriages = G8 tender (as first car) but instead is blank or shows meaningless symbols.  I found a work-around in the form of using the Alt + Tab keys when the Object Unidentified error and screen lock up take place.  I keep using Alt + Tab until I can find and click on the small box that shows the Object Unidentified error to make it go away and allow me to resume the mission.  I usually have to do the Alt + Tab thing a few times before I can get a fix on the box to click the OK in it.  Kind of a pain but it works. At any rate, does anyone have any other ideas how to fix or avoid the Object Unidentified error problem cropping up?  FWIW I've tried different, lower Simple and Advanced Configuration settings but that does not seem to help.  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry if I didn't explain the problem clearly.  Thanks!  Swoose

When you see that in a mission can you press "report error" and post the zip?   You are correct that it is usually caused by a misidentified model value.  Those are quite painful to debug but I can usually manage it once it is recreated.  

12 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

When you see that in a mission can you press "report error" and post the zip?   You are correct that it is usually caused by a misidentified model value.  Those are quite painful to debug but I can usually manage it once it is recreated.  

@PatrickAWlson I got the error again.  It happened twice as I was heading towards the Approach icon: at 23 km from the icon/37 minutes into the mission and 12 km/40~ minutes into the mission.  I've attached the error file and the JSON file from the mission.  Please take a look at them when you get a chance and give me your assessment.  Thanks!  Swoose

Bristol F2B 1918202101212101493.zip Bristol F2B 1918 1918-03-22.MissionData.json.zip

I get this error too, periodically.  I just do a <ctrl><tab> to get to that window, then select the "x" in the upper right to close it.  Another <ctrl><tab> should bring you back into the game and it picks up where you left off.

• Upvote 1