Jump to content

Interesting but Successful Short Career


Recommended Posts

I was flying out of Pitomkin with III./JG 52.  The progress bar under my pilot's name was at approximately the 20% mark or 38 missions completed and the date September 28, 1942, when I was notified that the unit had been withdrawn.  Therefore I transferred to II./JG 52 and commenced flying over Kuban.  I've finally succeeded in surviving BOS but it was awfully short compared to other attempts when I've reached over 80 missions before being mercilessly ambushed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beats my last ironman campaign, where I was about a week from making it through Kuban when I got jumped, on my own and at low altitude, by a whole flight of 109s and shot to bits before I could flee.

 

Some units have very short campaigns, which is fine, I don't think many people will ever make it through all 3 theatres with a single pilot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, DocDocbruno said:

I was flying out of Pitomkin with III./JG 52.  The progress bar under my pilot's name was at approximately the 20% mark or 38 missions completed and the date September 28, 1942, when I was notified that the unit had been withdrawn.  Therefore I transferred to II./JG 52 and commenced flying over Kuban.  I've finally succeeded in surviving BOS but it was awfully short compared to other attempts when I've reached over 80 missions before being mercilessly ambushed.

 

III./JG 52 just sent a detachment of pilots to Stalingrad (including Hermann Graf) and so yes, they weren't there long before being ordered back to the Caucasus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 '...jumped, on my own and at low altitude, by a whole flight of 109s and shot to bits before I could flee."  

My third Kuban mission was to intercept IL-2s.  I lead the flight at tree top level and shot down one Sturmovik.  Through the armored glass headrest I saw a mass of fighters swinging in after my G4 so I hit the deck again and ran south.  I turned on the map and saw at least 10 Lags in pursuit.  They couldn't get close enough to shoot but chased me through the mountains where one, two, three or more crashed.  Near Novorossisk, all but two remaining turned back.  Flying through the craggy mountains, one of those turned back and I turned into the last one and hit him head on with a burst from three 20 mm cannon.  The only one to return, I was exhausted, and that's why I enjoy this game.  Short BOS is the only iron man I've completed.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DocDocbruno said:

 ... at least 10 Lags in pursuit.  They couldn't get close enough to shoot but chased me through the mountains where one, two, three or more crashed.  Near Novorossisk, all but two remaining turned back...

 

And thats the reason for me personally why SP is still not usable, due to this behaviour of the AI. I still prefer IL2 1946 campaigns....much more realistic and enjoyable.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I really really hope the AI will get some more love.

I've been flying lately again. Some 3 years ago I was sick of this behavior (AI following the player en masse without regards for other AI or being shot at). It brought me to the point of quitting the game altogether. It's been better lately (in some regards eg. ground attack) but the regimental attacks on the players craft is still there. Even when leaking oil, fuel and all sorts of nastiness, they keep pursuing the player. Again: I really hope the devs do something about this.

Edited by Bando
spelling
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm playing the PWCG and haven't seen this kind of behaviour. Damaged AI fighters go low and try to escape the battle. The Sturmies seem to be the only ones to press on with their GA mission, no matter how shot-up to hell and back they are.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JG51-Hetzer said:

The Sturmies seem to be the only ones to press on with their GA mission, no matter how shot-up to hell and back they are.

4unzq6.jpg

 

They fear the commissar:P

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2021 at 2:22 AM, PaladinX said:

 

And thats the reason for me personally why SP is still not usable, due to this behaviour of the AI. I still prefer IL2 1946 campaigns....much more realistic and enjoyable.

Agreed!  My 11th Kuban mission, and my flight of five 109s went to intercept six IL-2s with six Yaks flying cover.  I went after the Yaks but six more of them showed up!  I dived and ran for the coast with 12 chasing me.  They went right through my other four guys without attacking them.  Then five more Russians came from the south and joined the chase.  Two went after my flight which I ordered home.  Fifteen to one!  I don't know how many flew into the trees (5?) or turned around but there were four remaining when one got me just above the trees.  They were out to get me and no one else. 

I am now living a new life at Tusev as Feldwebel so and so, but the next time I achieve command and encounter a situation like this, I will order my flight home and be at the lead.  The ground troops can fight that war on their own.      

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...