Finally got a rig that will play il2 acceptably

Havent played in like 2 years. Now i got a 2070 super and if i play at 1920 x 1080 and dont get too crazy on the eye candy its pretty smooth. Mind you it seems to needs to run at least 120 frames per second to achieve that smoothness. This game just eats hardware imo.

Now that its working i guess there will be a graphics update and i can start saving for my 3080. :)

Edited by fogpipe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would think you can run maxed out settings smoothly with that. 

I have a 2070 Super, i7 5820K running stock, 32 gigs of ram, and I play with maxed out settings.

• Like 1

I'm running maxed out settings, in VR with a 1080ti, 32gb pc3000 ram and a ryzen 3800x.... 60-90fps.... Not sure why OP can't up the quality settings with his impressive rig.

Its a trade off between smoothness and quality. For me, anything below 120 fps or so seems too jerky to want to play, and this game has always been this way for me. Other games, that are supposedly more challenging for hardware, may only get 40 some frames per second, but run smooth as butter (quake 2 RTX free now at steam) Even other flight sims with head tracking, ie elite dangerous, run completely smoothly on ultra, no mater how many other ships around, nailed to 60 fps, with adaptive vsync on.

I dont every actually recall having as much trouble with any other game getting smooth performance.

And just so that im not misinterpreted, this is the third PC i have played il2bos on and i have spent hours experimenting with the settings, so its probably something im doing or maybe im just too picky or something. Anyway its better now than its been, so maybe i can concentrate on just playing the game, instead of playing the settings.

Edited by fogpipe
  • Upvote 1

Have you tried a complete re-install? During the last update, my download stalled which hasn't happened before. I restarted it and finished the update. For the next couple of days the game just didn't run well having occasional freezes like I've not seen in years. I did a complete re-install last night and the game is back to running very smoothly for me.