Getting the most out of Career Mode?

I am interested in getting the most immersive experience out of the single player campaign. I have a historical interest in flying VVS and in the battles of WW2 / 'The Great Patriotic War'. I was wondering if you all had thoughts about a way to get the most historically-immersive experience of World War 2 as flown through the single-player career mode.

Ideally I want an experience that conveys the awful experience of the war, the intensity of the air combat, while also (as best as possible) faithfully representing what was actually happening in the air. Obviously some of this will be restricted by Career Mode options and so I am also happy to hear out Scripted Campaign suggestions that draw the arc of the war from early to late. (I am playing Blazing Steppes right now and am impressed with the density of air traffic and the radio chatter from nearby units.)

My initial thought was to pick a VVS regiment that is present during every phase of every battle of Moscow, Stalingrad and Kuban. Setting the enemy presence to dense, choosing airfields near the front lines, and picking "front-line" fighters such as the MiG, LaGG, Yak, or the ground attack IL-2.

I wish Career Mode were more of a 'full-fledged' product rather than feeling like a collection of quick missions, but appreciate any tips you all have on giving an immersive experience here.

-----------------------------------------------

I started drawing up lists of VVS regiments that are present for the bulk of each of the campaigns... Perhaps this will be useful to others, in choosing which regiment to fly.

Moscow

• MiG-3 -- 34, 233
  • MiG-3 / I-16 -- 27

Stalingrad

• La-5 -- 27*, 437
  • Yak-1 -- 296, 273/31, 11*, 43**
  • LaGG-3 -- 15**
  • LaGG-3 / Yak-1 -- 9**
  • Il-2 -- 503*, 621, 811

Kuban

• Yak-1b -- 42
  • P-39 -- 32/11, 298
  • P-39 / P-40 -- 16*
  • Yak-7b / Yak-9 -- 15*
  • Yak-7b / Yak-1b -- 274*, 6**
  • Yak-7b/1b/9 -- 43*
  • 157 (Yak-9T one phase) and 249 (LA-5FN two phases)

Rheinland

• USAF -- P-47D (494, 508) and P-51D (328**, 486**, 487**)
  • RAF -- Tempest (279, 3, 486 NZ, 56, 80)

* Almost all phases

** most phases

----------------------

Other tips I saw to make career mode more immersive...

• Turn off all icons and navigate by landmarks / referring to map. (If there's a way to toggle my "you are here" indicator on and off - just to avoid frustration when needed - that would be perfect.)
  • Turning off technochat and performing all damage assessments by eye/ear. What do folks think of this? Does this skill transfer over to multiplayer?
  • Flying in formation with AI - it seems quite difficult to be honest, since AI don't properly use cruise settings. What's a "realistic" way to fly to/from targets?
Edited by stylo
  • Upvote 4

I can't say enough about my I-16 career over Moscow. It's just such a blast to fly the little bird, in formation, open cockpit. It really makes me feel like I'm flying.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

I would suggest you try to learn as much as possible in single player so you can graduate into multiplayer. 

At the end of the day, single player is a controlled experience where learning is limited. The faster you get into multiplayer the more you will learn and the more fun you will have by playing in an actual dynamic setting. 

Edited by Enigma89
  • Confused 6

14 minutes ago, Enigma89 said:

I would suggest you try to learn as much as possible in single player so you can graduate into multiplayer. 

At the end of the day, single player is a controlled experience where learning is limited. The faster you get into multiplayer the more you will learn and the more fun you will have by playing in an actual dynamic setting. 

OP specifically laid out their desire for an authentic, historical experience...and you suggest MP?....Really?

• Upvote 7
Just now, 40plus said:

OP specifically laid out their desire for an authentic, historical experience...and you suggest MP?....Really?

If you saw someone asking how to jump off a bridge would you really help them?

Captcha Gamers, meaning people who willfully hold themselves in single player, are holding themselves and their potential back. They should be shown the light so they can enjoy the full potential of the game and flying which is multiplayer.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
5 hours ago, Enigma89 said:

Captcha Gamers, meaning people who willfully hold themselves in single player, are holding themselves and their potential back. They should be shown the light so they can enjoy the full potential of the game and flying which is multiplayer.

You do realize that some people have no desire to play MP for a variety of reasons, including work, time, and family constraints? Quit trying to derail the topic by giving the OP an answer she's not interesting in hearing.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 4
1 minute ago, LukeFF said:

You do realize that some people have no desire to play MP for a variety of reasons, including work, time, and family constraints? Quit trying to derail the topic by giving the OP an answer he's not interesting in hearing.

You did not read his post.

He specifically mentions multiplayer. Read it again.

1 hour ago, stylo said:
  • Turning off technochat and performing all damage assessments by eye/ear. What do folks think of this? Does this skill transfer over to multiplayer?

To answer your question directly, it depends. Some servers have it some do not. I think in general it would be better to have it off.

On top of that, in multiplayer if you get it hit you generally RTB because any sort of damage is going to put you at a disadvantage so you want to get a fresh plane.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I haven't dabbled much with the single player. Tried the canned campaign and didn't love it. 

I do have a ton of fun on Finnish virtual. 

It's kinda neat because it starts early war and makes its way through. 

There's probably a group that flies specific missions you can jump in with.

I know when we had our 5 ship of iL2s in formation scraping the trees one of the younger guys was absolutely delighted with it. "My level of immersion" was repeated a few times! 

I think any of the campaign's that can be purchased are quite well done though.

Edited by Denum
1 hour ago, Enigma89 said:

He specifically mentions multiplayer. Read it again.

She mentions multiplayer all of once in an offhand comment at the end of her post under a section dedicated to tips for making singleplayer more immersive.
If what you took away from that is "disregard the prior paragraph and focus entirely on multiplayer" you're the one who needs to read it again.

This is a historical flight sim, and as realistic as many aspects are by default, 99% of all scenarios encountered in multiplayer are going to be ahistorical by default.
If she, like many others on this forum, is here for a more historically authentic experience then singleplayer campaigns are the best way to experience that.

Edited by Ram399
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
1 hour ago, Enigma89 said:

I have already started flying in Multiplayer, thank you very much. That's not the topic of the post.

I even thought to include a disclaimer in my original post "Please don't recommend I fly Multiplayer as I already know and am..." Then I thought nah, who would 'helpfully' suggest multiplayer when I am asking about something completely different?

There's always one...

(she/her pronouns btw)

3 hours ago, [DBS]Browning said:

PWCG is the most important step. 

Thanks, I took the leap and installed it, it seems quite impressive albeit I'm left wondering why this functionality is not incorporated in the base game. I'm trying a 27th IAD campaign, MiG-3 with earliest start.

I am trying Medium air density and High ground density, just to give the proper feeling of the theater. Not sure if others prefer something different for historical accuracy.

Edited by stylo
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, stylo said:

thoughts about a way to get the most historically-immersive experience of World War 2 as flown through the single-player career mode.

You might have heard of the Pat Wilson Campaign Generator, which is a phenomenal mod that exists for career mode that increases the complexity and experience overall.
While I prefer to fly without it (Though I've made a few modifications to the base career mode myself), it might be worth your time to check out.

There is a dedicated subsection for it over here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/99-pat-wilson-campaign-generator/

If you want to stay with the base game however, the best thing I've done for my own immersion is to focus on my AI squadronmates more than anything else.
As you likely know the game autogenerates some faces and names to fill out the other planes in your unit, there is nothing complex about them but I'm not ashamed to admit that I've turned more than a few of them into imaginary friends of a sort.

By watching your AI friends' backs their piloting skills will actually increase with experience and ranks gained, and eventually you won't feel quite so alone as the only competent in SP.
Plus if one of them goes missing on a mission or dies it feels like an actual loss.

I don't believe there is a VVS regiment which partakes heavily in all 3 Eastern Front Campaigns so you might have to transfer units at some point to get the full experience, something which unfortunately wipes any developed AI pilots. 

If you want to fly for the darkside however, II./JG 52 has a very long career spanning the 3 theaters.

I have a long running career still ongoing with that unit which, through a focus on protecting AI pilots, has turned into quite the force to be reckoned with.
As of currently I am in Kuban and have three AI pilots with over 100 victories- two of which have managed to survive from day one back in Moscow a year and a half ago.

In addition to that, and this really is taking things a bit far, I've also taught myself how to make aircraft skins purely to outfit my unit.
It takes a fair amount of work and practice but just adding basic ID numbers did wonders for immersion- it also helps to be able to ID my pilots in flight.

Career mode is still a work in progress, but its easily been my favorite way to play the game since it was added back in 2018 and can be a lot of fun if done right.

Edited by Ram399
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

Would definitely suggest playing in Iron Man Mode along with everything Ram399 said above. It makes missions that much more intense and it aids in that need to preserve your pilot. Just surviving a week is an accomplishment let alone getting a kill. 

2 hours ago, stylo said:

I have already started flying in Multiplayer, thank you very much. That's not the topic of the post.

I even thought to include a disclaimer in my original post "Please don't recommend I fly Multiplayer as I already know and am..." Then I thought nah, who would 'helpfully' suggest multiplayer when I am asking about something completely different?

There's always one...

(she/her pronouns btw)

Thanks, I took the leap and installed it, it seems quite impressive albeit I'm left wondering why this functionality is not incorporated in the base game. I'm trying a 27th IAD campaign, MiG-3 with earliest start.

I am trying Medium air density and High ground density, just to give the proper feeling of the theater. Not sure if others prefer something different for historical accuracy.

Once you know how to turn on the engine, taxi and take off then single player has really served it's purpose. Staying in single player any longer than that is just going to create bad habits. Just keep that in mind. 

There are a lot of captcha gamers here who hold themselves in the dark so just be weary. 

Edited by Enigma89
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 2
4 minutes ago, Enigma89 said:

Once you know how to turn on the engine, taxi and take off then single player has really served it's purpose. I encourage you to branch out and actually play the game. 

The single player AI is predictable and not challenging and will set you up for a bad habits online. It's best to get out of it as quickly as possible as it generally creates bad habits. 

Think what you want but know that you are willfully holding yourself in the dark by playing the captcha version. 

I was just playing on Finnish last night. Why do you insist on butting in with your unneeded advice about how to do a thing I am already doing, unrelated to the topic of the post? Your services are not required.

8 minutes ago, Q_Walker said:

Would definitely suggest playing in Iron Man Mode along with everything Ram399 said above. It makes missions that much more intense and it aids in that need to preserve your pilot. Just surviving a week is an accomplishment let alone getting a kill. 

Absolutely, I had some Iron Man runs die out pretty fast already lol. I'm going to try PWCG with "Major Wounds" enabled, hopefully it will keep my career going longer while still inflicting a penalty for sloppy flying.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, Enigma89 said:

Once you know how to turn on the engine, taxi and take off then single player has really served it's purpose. 

Well you're quite the expert aren't you?

Or do you just like telling other people what to do?

It doesn't really matter though, as I fully expect you to have moved on to some other 'game' within six months. Bye.

• Like 3

I'm curious what units or campaigns people would recommend in order to get the most interesting ground targets to strafe?

I assume Ice Rink is the best bet? What about the dynamic campaigns?

The few experience I've had left me unimpressed with ground targets (so I started teaching myself the mission builder, but then got distracted by the Cliffs of Dover/Tobruk mission builder because it is easier to use).

2 minutes ago, 216th_Cat said:

Well you're quite the expert aren't you?

Or do you just like telling other people what to do?

It doesn't really matter though, as I fully expect you to have moved on to some other 'game' within six months. Bye.

Been playing sims for just over 15 years. 

If I see someone making a mistake I am going to say something. 

Anyone who shackles themselves to just single player should be warned and encouraged to take off the training wheels.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Who are you to act as though playing multiplayer makes you superior as a pilot. Playing singleplayer isn't a mistake, it is mine and many others' favorite part of the game. Some people don't play it just to become some hotshot pilot, some like to roleplay as a pilot in a historical WWII setting. This game excels at that, to say otherwise is a blatant lie. And that isn't to say there can't be fun found in multiplayer otherwise. This post, however, was specifically asking for the singleplayer Career mode. 

• Upvote 12

It turns out there are several ways people might enjoy a flight simulator, who knew?

For OP, I know it's not quite what you asked, but I greatly enjoy the paid P-47 scripted campaign. It has quite a lot of custom voice overs, and opposed to the randomised campaign, gives a good sense of the Allies' air superiority. You have strikes performed by tons of Thunderbolts against hardened targets with very dangerous flak guns. If you're aggressive you will end up learning how to nurse a shredded Thunderbolt back home

And you can turn off the you-are-here doodad. I forget the name, but I fly SP with everything but pre-warmed engine and technochat off and I don't have a GPS icon

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Enigma89 said:

Anyone who shackles themselves to just single player should be warned and encouraged to take off the training wheels.

Why are you so concerned about how other people play a video game?

The whole point of video games is to provide enjoyment, so if someone doesn’t enjoy multiplayer, what will they get out of going online?

Getting back to what this thread is actually about...

@stylo, I would recommend PWCG, you can set your own preferences for AI difficulty, aircraft numbers, and ground density, and a career can last from October 1941 to the end of the war, though this is through substituting later aircraft and maps with the closest aircraft and maps we have in the game so far. It’s also a third-party career mode, so it’s not as polished as the official career mode. 

The Sea Dragons, Havoc over the Kuban, and Ice Ring scripted campaigns are well worth a look as well, you should have Sea Dragons if you already have BoK. TC comes with a T-34/KV-1S scripted campaigns as well, if you’re interested in tanks.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

FWIW, I recommend setting the campaign speed to 'fast' rather than 'realistic'. 'Realistic' is not only a real slog (the chances of you making it to another theatre are slim), but tends to inflate your kill counts unrealistically (since almost every career mission is a combat mission with action). Just imagine the skipped missions are quiet ones where nothing much happened.

For PWCG, you can get a similar effect by adjusting a setting that multiplies the number of missions flown (maybe try 3 and adjust from there).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
19 hours ago, stylo said:

Absolutely, I had some Iron Man runs die out pretty fast already lol. I'm going to try PWCG with "Major Wounds" enabled, hopefully it will keep my career going longer while still inflicting a penalty for sloppy flying.

Unlike Career, PWCG also has the ability to keep the squadron & war progress "alive" with multiple pilots even when playing Iron Man.  This makes wingmen progress even more important.  Discussed in this thread: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Enigma89 said:

Always good to have experts in our midst. This reminds me of a long ago post that claimed "Real men fly MP."

To the OP, the Hell Hawks campaign is well worth the price as =621=Samikatz mentioned earlier.

•  
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
15 hours ago, gorice said:

(since almost every career mission is a combat mission with action).

I know you said almost, but I've actually had quite a few non-combat missions in my Eastern Front careers.  Mostly ground troop cover far from the front, where if i didn't go looking for trouble, it would never come to me.  Now, if you're a ground attacker, well, then every mission is a combat mission!

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Varibraun said:

Unlike Career, PWCG also has the ability to keep the squadron & war progress "alive" with multiple pilots even when playing Iron Man.  This makes wingmen progress even more important.  Discussed in this thread: 

Thank you! This thread looks very interesting and valuable. Appreciate it.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Yo--Yo said:

Ironically this thread shows exactly why it is sometimes best to avoid multiplayer.

PWCG is definitely the way to go.

I've been using PWCG since day one of playing this sim. I have no reason to discontinue this practice.

1 hour ago, Noisemaker said:

I know you said almost, but I've actually had quite a few non-combat missions in my Eastern Front careers.  Mostly ground troop cover far from the front, where if i didn't go looking for trouble, it would never come to me.  Now, if you're a ground attacker, well, then every mission is a combat mission!

Looking for trouble is the best part!

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Enigma89 said:

I’ve been flying sims for 33 years, so I guess that means I’m supposed to tell you STFU now.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
  • Upvote 7