Weird "Keystone" Skewed Distortion in VR

Folks,

Just upgraded to a Reverb G2 from a Rift S.

Got everything setup and working fine. Been flying great over the last few days.

Then, last night, fired up IL2 and found everything, from the menu's down to the cockpit, strangely skewed. Like am I looking at everything at an angle, with one side closer to my face than the other. Tried resetting my view, my seated position, rebooting, and, finally, even uninstalling and reinstalling IL2. But still get the same effect. 

This is only with IL2. Other sims as well as all the various VR home screens are perfectly aligned.

Has anyone experienced this or have any idea what's been happening?

34 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

Folks,

Just upgraded to a Reverb G2 from a Rift S.

Got everything setup and working fine. Been flying great over the last few days.

Then, last night, fired up IL2 and found everything, from the menu's down to the cockpit, strangely skewed. Like am I looking at everything at an angle, with one side closer to my face than the other. Tried resetting my view, my seated position, rebooting, and, finally, even uninstalling and reinstalling IL2. But still get the same effect. 

This is only with IL2. Other sims as well as all the various VR home screens are perfectly aligned.

Has anyone experienced this or have any idea what's been happening?

Make sure your Oculus runtime is not running.

By default the runtime starts with the PC booting up.

I went into services and changed Oculus from auto to manual. Now the runtime does not start till I decide to start it.

Are you running any mods for IL-2?

Uninstalled Ocurlus completely.

Furthermore, on this system IL2 was never installed while Oculus was installed.

So: uninstalled Oculus; installed Steam, SteamVR, etc; and only then installed IL2.

And, as I said, for a few days it was all working perfectly.

Also no mods or anything.

Edited by Bearfoot

I did mess around with NVIDIA settings to tweak it, following the VR4DCS guide.

But I've reset that now.

Next  step is to uninstall steam, steamvr, etc.

But apart from the PIA, I'm a little nervous about messing up the other programs that do work now !

10 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

I did mess around with NVIDIA settings to tweak it, following the VR4DCS guide.

But I've reset that now.

Next  step is to uninstall steam, steamvr, etc.

But apart from the PIA, I'm a little nervous about messing up the other programs that do work now !

Yeah I would not think it would be Steam or Steam VR if the headset is working fine in other games.

Something is interfering between your headset and IL-2.

Might try opening task manager and closing down any unneeded programs that might be running whilst running IL-2.

Also make sure vsync is not enabled.

Edited by dburne

Ok, will try that next.

I've already uinstalled/installed the whole Steam/SteamVR/SteamWMR stack.

No joy.

Fortunately, all other games work (still) work perfectly.

I saw that in another game (Morrowind VR) with Pimax HMD; I had to make 2 times calibration of vr space, booth in steamvr and in pitool (or WMR for you).

Also as workaround, try "simple tool for check six", it may reset your vr view:

2 hours ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

Try resetting the WMR environment?

I saw your post describing how to this, and did exactly that. 

Unfortunately, no change :(

It's a good thing to know how to do, though, so I appreciate you describing it.

Only other thing I can think of is to delete the headset and controllers, and uninstall/reinstall WMR. 

Or reinstall Windows.

But that seems so drastic ... especially as every other game works fine. 

Reinstalling WMR is not that intensive like reinstall an OS, you can consider this before doing an drastic OS reinstall.  

I did had the same, also when moving your view, the cockpit is also going to move to. In my case it was the adjustments in Win10-WMR that was caused this. Try to do fiddle with some adjustments like let “windows decide” settings. 

Also in your BoX game specific tap from the Nvidia Control panel set everything to “application controlled” or “disabled” to be sure nothing is going to interfere with BoX-VR. 

Edited by Dutch2
On 1/21/2021 at 4:03 AM, Dutch2 said:

Reinstalling WMR is not that intensive like reinstall an OS, you can consider this before doing an drastic OS reinstall.  

I did had the same, also when moving your view, the cockpit is also going to move to. In my case it was the adjustments in Win10-WMR that was caused this. Try to do fiddle with some adjustments like let “windows decide” settings. 

Also in your BoX game specific tap from the Nvidia Control panel set everything to “application controlled” or “disabled” to be sure nothing is going to interfere with BoX-VR. 

Maybe you can share your WMR settings?

And also the resolution your headset is at as well as the IL2 graphics settings?

In WMR settings 720p/high quality/90fps but its HS depending as some HP users should use 60fps reading here. I would first try let “Windows decide”  adjustments, because as it seems some headsets react differently. 

My headset is an Samsung Odyssey+ (google for resolution)  and the SteamVR SS is 150% 

presetting is LOW only one remark, this is modified GPreset as despite the LOW all the clouds related aspects are modified to ultra, because I do hate the very bad made clouds and sky banding in BOX.

All the other settings are set to lowered or like shadows and grass to disable.

FXAA 4x on and Landscape set to blur because I’m not a fan of the famous RoF/BoX shimmer

Dynamic resolution to 0.8 

gamma correcting at lowest setting. 

4k on, while the rest like Vsync/AOSS/HDR/sharpen all on out 

I’m using the SteamVR beta with the reprojection mode on AUTO 

Nvidia driver is the last .33 hotfix version. 

The whole idea behind my adjustments is to relief the bottleneck in my system the GTX1080 and still have a good graphical quality at the game aspects from which I think are important. As an sample for me I do prefer the quality of clouds more then those ugly 2D shaped grass. Seeing through my VR all the small details on the planes wings or reduced shimmer on the cockpit instruments are for me more preferred then those pop-inn trees because I have set this tree rendering to very low. 

Good luck and remember what is working great on my system could be a pain in the ass at yours. Its only a starting point, for your VR journey. 

Edited by Dutch2
12 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

In WMR settings 720p/high quality/90fps but its HS depending as some HP users should use 60fps reading here. I would first try let “Windows decide”  adjustments, because as it seems some headsets react differently. 

Thanks!

It's less for performance tuning as much as to see if I can fix the graphical anomaly using some settings I know for sure worked for someone. Probably not transferrable even then, though, as I have a Reverb G2 :(

I have this same issue with the G2. It went away randomly for a day or so, then came back and I can’t seem to overcome it. I’ve been through all these various steps, some more than once. 

Between this and the random 3-5 second black screens, I’m sending it back. Shame, the resolution is incredible, but it’s been a non-stop headache getting it to work, and the tracking is pretty awful. 

3 hours ago, Drum said:

Just in case you haven't seen this, possibly worth a try...  😉

THIS WORKED!!!! 

Windows Settings > Mixed Reality > Headset Display, "Experience Options" to "Best visual quality".

(I also set Resolution to "Automatic upscaling (best performance)" for what it's worth.

THANK YOU!!

• Like 1

Thats what I did try to say inhere check your WMR settings and do your try/error experiment in WMR adjustments.  You can never depend on what is working at others. A simply “one adjustments  solution fits all” is not the case for BoX but only a guide from were to start from.  The so much mentioned 60FPS solution is a problem on my rig. 

As an sample the SSAO, most testing here do show a significant drop in FPS when being enabled, while Ferris even noticed an FPS increase, so who does have the right answer for you 🤷‍♂️     in my case btw its only a very small drop in FPS. 

Edited by Dutch2