Does the armor plate behind the pilot actually do anything in this game, besides obstruct one's rear view? I have yet to get a burst from the back that doesn't put blood on the inside of my goggles. Yet rake the canopy/cock pit of an AI (Armored Individule) plane and it seems to work wonders.

Just wondering......

You'll often get blood regardless, even AP rounds produce shrapnel. But a round that would have straight up killed you will not just pepper you with bits.
Also HE shells near the cockpit will mess you up.

It "works", but is also entirely ineffective because just about all the guns in the game except the german MG's and maybe the 303's will just go straight through it like butter. There was a more in depth discussion on the same topic a few weeks ago. At least without the armour plate you can see your death coming. Your mileage may vary but I never take it if I have the choice.

• Upvote 1

I think IRL then the seat back armour plate could actually protect even against things as heavy as 50-cal which in a test scenario would cut through like butter. Why? Because aircraft back then had a lot of extra equipment stashed behind the pilot and if an AP round has to pass through these on the way to the plate chances are it had already expended some of its energy and would be tumbling when it made contact with the seat back armour.

Another thing I wonder about how it is modeled is the deflection effect: I have seen rounds deflect in-game from skin contact but if they hit at a steeper angle and enter the plane are they deflected in the hit box system or just keep on going straight? Anyone with service who has fired tracer rounds into heavy foiliage or trees knows about this effect: Sometimes it can look like a pin ball machine! In addition: Being a hunter I know how bad it can go even if you just have some twigs between you and your target.......

Edited by Holtzauge
  • Upvote 2
  • 1CGS
On 1/18/2021 at 2:35 AM, Knarley-Bob said:

Does the armor plate behind the pilot actually do anything in this game, besides obstruct one's rear view? I have yet to get a burst from the back that doesn't put blood on the inside of my goggles. Yet rake the canopy/cock pit of an AI (Armored Individule) plane and it seems to work wonders.

Just wondering......

Armor plates are equally effective for both AI and virtual pilots and are configured according to the armor resistance to projectiles(mainly from 7.62/7.9 mm bullets).

• Thanks 2
On 1/17/2021 at 1:35 PM, Knarley-Bob said:

Just wondering......

S!,

I asked the question several weeks ago. You'll find a good discussion here:

HB

• Thanks 1

Armor works just fine, but there aren't many things weak enough to have a real effect. Remove all protection if possible.

Wish you could remove the armored glass from Yaks and Lavochkas