First thing I want to do here, is thenk ICDP for all the install assistance he took the time to provide me.  I had read so many negative comments regarding Pimax support, I decided to seek support here, and ICDP responded and got me going. Sort of.  I somehow screwed up installing the proper files, and they were so screwed up, I decided to give Pimax support a shot at fixing the issues.  I figured I had nothing to lose, so I emailed Kevin Henderson at Pimax,and to my surprise, Kevin responded within an hour.  Kevin was able to identify the file issues I screwed up, and got my Pimax up and running.  In order to repair the corrupt files, Kevin needed access tp my PC.  We did that with TeamViewer.  While Kevin was in My rig, he also helped me set up the Pitool software, and tweak the FOV, resolution etc. etc.  Of course, my being a novice related to anything VR, I needed help installing that base station I spoke about re-using Pimax with one base unit only.  ICDP gave me help with how to set it up etc., but sure enough, I had problems getting the base station reckognized.  Kevin Henderson, once again was able to guide me through getting the unit transmitting properly.  Whatever concerns Pimax owners may have had with Pimax support in the past, I can tell everyone here, it ain't no problem anymore. Super fast response, and no stopping them until the issues are fixed.  Had I not joined this forum, I would never have been introduced to ICDP.  He was the first responder, and that led me to the Pimax support people.  My 8KX is operational now, and I'm a happy camper. Thank you ICDP, and thank you Kevin Henderson C.O.O Pimax. take care all...Eddie.

• Like 1

Is that you, PimaxQuorra? :biggrin:

The issue is, Pimax headsets are a hackjob, and just assembly with incredible high tolerances. Pimax itself sends bills to people with their own "service charge" on top, which was not part of the purchasing contract, and holds back items they supposedly deliver later as ransom. 

You were merely lucky you got a working unit.

Others got sick because their eyes diverged and couldn't focus anymore after using the 8KX for any reasonable amount of time.

Take a big curve around that company.

I have no idea who PimaxQuarra is, and I don't care. There is no need to be adversarial in your response.  My comments were honest opinions of the support I enjoyed from ICDP and Kevin Henderson.   Obviously, you have had had no  recent need for Pimax support.  Pimax themselves reckognized their lack of support.  That was in the early releases of Pimax heasets. I too, was a non believer after reading all the negatives relating to Pimax poor support.  That's why I asked ICDP for help.  Given the fact that I screwed up installing firmware files etc.,I had no choice, but to go to the Pimax support site, and hope for the best. I GOT the best. Everthing I said above is absolutely true.  I am NOT an employee of Pimax, and I'm not a hardware reviewer.  I'm just a gamer, that will often need hardware support with a new product..  What I provided here, was MY opinion, based on MY experience here, with ICDP, and Kevin Henderson from Pimax.  If you own a Pimax product, contact Pimax support, and see for yourself. You will be pleasantly surprized.  By the way SGG_Fenris_Wolf, the IPD settings etc. were perfect for me, right out of the box. The only thing I had to adjust, was the headstrap. The 8KX is one hell of a fine VR Headset.  I will try posting MY review of the 8KX, after I've played some flight sims etc for a while.  I'll give it some time, and find out what, if any, issues I might run into with Pimax software etc.  If I do any kind of a rview, it won't be like a pro reviewer, but it WILL be, my honest opinion.  Thank you for responding..all comments are appreciated..take care... 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Is that you, PimaxQuorra? :biggrin:

The issue is, Pimax headsets are a hackjob, and just assembly with incredible high tolerances. Pimax itself sends bills to people with their own "service charge" on top, which was not part of the purchasing contract, and holds back items they supposedly deliver later as ransom. 

You were merely lucky you got a working unit.

Others got sick because their eyes diverged and couldn't focus anymore after using the 8KX for any reasonable amount of time.

Take a big curve around that company.

Some people say criticizing build quality is “bullshit”.  I’m glad to see that you are no longer among them.

Hmmm... Yeah you're right @WIS-Redcoat. In light of recent events (ReverbG2), the whole topic on built quality is actual again.

I had a golden sample of the 5K+, until I got an 8KX made from sh't. 

I had the Pimax headsets as well @slikslik and know their headsets, the software, and everything around it straight, inverted, inside and out.

I have also dealt with support, extensively. The support is hit and miss. You may either get someone who helps you, or someone who demands additional money from you. If you RMA a headset, it may get lost. Or incur additional vat+customs.

They demanded me to pay additional money towards them for FedEx service charges even though I had already paid the full $60 on shipping. It seems they're holding the DMAS as ransom - till now. The eye tracking I have bought for the 8KX didn't work. No amount of tinkering can fix them, they lack the throughput in the first wave 8KX' Usb-ports, which are only usb type-c by looks, but not by chipset or even contacts.

The problem is also, some people do have normal support experiences, like me in the past as well. They can't understand how much Pimax can eff up things until it happens to them. Just look around you, to their forums, the Reddits, look at that, and sigh and pad yourself on the chest and feel lucky about yours. It's just luck.

What they do is no way to conduct business. The company has had several years now.

The built quality is shoddy. You were lucky that your lenses were placed straight and worked out of the box.

Mine were divergent so much that it was a health hazard - and not properly polished either. It must have been on both sides, inside as well - it created godawful godrays that I had only known from the Index. I went to a friend of mine, eye doctor, he measured my eyes, and my IPD would fluctuate if I stared after using the Pimax. Diverging, converging, confused. He said to get rid of it, it's a health hazard.

P.S. By now I assume I had a bad Index sample as well. It had a terrible picture quality. Bleak colors and terrible godrays. The 5K+ I had was truly better in comparison. My controllers were broken (thumbstick not registering after 10 hours), so I had to RMA them. I can't explain the differences in experiences otherwise...

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Wow, I must be one of the lucky ones.   I've had my PIMAX 5K+ (203 serial number) for over a year and I fly with it almost daily and it continues to perform 

very well indeed.  I was and still am considering an HP G-2 but they seem to have some difficulties now, that need to be resolved.

I've never had any problems with frame breaks or cracking, the headset harness works OK and my view seems relatively sharp and crisp, I'm sure it could be better and I plan to  upgrade my

rig and head set at a later date

I have a i7-7700K, 1080Ti and use Pitool 266 at 90hz, normal view, I treat my unit gently, it is covered when not in use.

The few occasions when I contacted PIMAX support they responded quickly and resolved my problems.

Happy camper so far.

As I said, I was lucky as well - with the 5K+ I had - but it's not the rule.

They buy different screens on the chinese market which they then use for their assembly. Even within similar SKUs, they had batches with different screens (see 5K+ history with sn202, sn203, sn204, and now the 5K+ Super).

Pimax has lost their optical engineer,now they're doing hackjobs. Users have opened their headsets to gather data on it. Which was deleted. Their forum community.openmr.ai is heavily censored. The Reddit channel was taken over at night by the community - Pimax employees got banned.

So what was found was:

- The lenses are unchanged since 2017. 

- The screens vary in dimensions. Pimax changed distance to the screens so "they fit". Then they tried to adjust the distortion profiles many times but always failed.

- Pimax does not respond to inquiries of game companies who want to make their product compatile. I know for a fact (can't share any more details). 

- A nordic saying can be roughly translated to "the fish rots from its head" and I am convinced this is true with this company.

They've lost me as a customer with the 8KX I received.

• Sad 2

There is no doubt that SCG_Fensis_Wolf has a lot of experience with Pimax headsets.  I take everything he says seriously.  Maybe I too am one of the lucky ones.  So far, the only problem I've been having, is the Vive base station not being recognized by the Pitool.  Once again, I emailed Kevin Henderson last night for support.  I got, with  an email from Kevin this morning.  Turns out, I haven't been placing the base unit correctly and securely.  The base needed to be on a  sturdy stand or the vibrations on the base increase and screw things up.I'm happy with the Picture quality etc. etc., and equally happy with the sevice I've been getting.  If I had the same experience with Pimax that SCG_Finmore had, I would be pissed too.  These headsets are expensive, and buyers should expect, and entitled to quality, and service after purchase.   I'm happy with my 8KX.   I got what I paid for.  Was I lucky?  I don't know.  Maybe  a few were unlucky?  

Hehe, don't get me wrong, it's good that you were lucky.

I just can't recommend the headsets anymore with a clean conscience.

E.g. @Alonzo got a Pimax Artisan headset (which I advised against) and it was terrible built-quality, misaligned lenses, and shoddy software to top it off. It's a total gamble.

I might have been lucky with the HMD, but I'm not so lucky with the Pitool.  I have 2 versions in my download file.  Version 1.0.2.087.V20 and 1.0.1.266.20201125. Which one have you found to be most stable>  I'm using 1.0.2.087 V2.0, but I'm still having issues with my base station not being recognized consistantly.  I can get it going, fly IL 2 for a bit, get out of the game etc. etc.  When I start up IL 2 again, there's no signal from the base.  It's best described as intermittent.  Maybe the older version of Pitool is better?  I don't want to load it and run into even more issues.  Know what I mean?  What version would you recommend?   Thanks for your input...take care..

32 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

I just can't recommend the headsets anymore with a clean conscience.

E.g. @Alonzo got a Pimax Artisan headset (which I advised against) and it was terrible built-quality, misaligned lenses, and shoddy software to top it off. It's a total gamble.

It wasn't quite that bad! 🙂  I think the lenses were aligned ok but Pimax headsets are only for people with large IPD (or who don't know how to observe edge-to-edge sharpness, see also all the stuff with the G2). The build quality problem was their notorious case cracking issue. Pitool, despite not being the best software ever, still has features that mainstream VR headsets do not, such as fixed-foveated rendering (which anyone running a G2 right now would probably KILL to have!!!).

So yeah, Pimax not recommended but some people are happy with theirs.

Anyone@  ICDP?  I know most would say, use the latest version of Pimax, but for the 8KX, maybe a different version is what I need?  The latest version of anything isn't always the best.  I just want that damn base to recognize and communicate with my HMD. Thanks all...take care...Eddie.

3 hours ago, Alonzo said:

It wasn't quite that bad! 🙂  I think the lenses were aligned ok but Pimax headsets are only for people with large IPD (or who don't know how to observe edge-to-edge sharpness, see also all the stuff with the G2). The build quality problem was their notorious case cracking issue. Pitool, despite not being the best software ever, still has features that mainstream VR headsets do not, such as fixed-foveated rendering (which anyone running a G2 right now would probably KILL to have!!!).

So yeah, Pimax not recommended but some people are happy with theirs.

Alright, I had remembered you reported eye strain or something, I may have been wrong. And the cracking.. yeah. Damn, that's a disqualifier.

FYI the Reverb G2 does have some kind of virtual FFR... because if you lower the resolution from 100% to let's say 60%, the cone of clarity gets smaller. The center remains sharp.

An HP engineer was the guy who said "in order to increase the edge to edge clarity, put the resolution to 100% in Steam".

So.. yeah. Technically not FFR, the distortion bending seems to distribute pixels unevenly. Which would then be... Another form of a FFR effect. Anyone finding a new word for that, you may step forward now :biggrin:

I also remember the FFR wouldn't run long in IL-2. 20-30mins, followed by crashes each time. Is that fixed now? Just chatting btw, this remains interesting :biggrin:

On 1/19/2021 at 9:41 PM, slikslik said:

Anyone@  ICDP?  I know most would say, use the latest version of Pimax, but for the 8KX, maybe a different version is what I need?  The latest version of anything isn't always the best.  I just want that damn base to recognize and communicate with my HMD. Thanks all...take care...Eddie.

I sent you a link to the best version for the 8KX in our PMs, don't upgrade to another version using the option in Pitool.  I would also recommed getting the new 60Hz firmware as it gives the option of 75Hz or 60Hz in native resolution mode.  I have used it in Il-2 and the 60Hz mode helps keep the stutters at bay.

I have had a Pimax 5K+ backer unit and now a Pimax 8KX.  The 5K+ was one of the early versions and it had issues lower spec screens than later versions and Pimax refused to fix under warranty.  But the unit itself was solidly built, as is the 8KX.  In fact as someone who has owned quite a number of HMDs I would say the Pimax build quality is fine.  But the problem isn't build quality, or the displays themselves.  It's the support and dodgy business practices.  They always overpromise and underdeliver, especially on delivery timescales.  I orderd my 8KX in Oct 2019 as Pimax promised they were already in production for Jan 2020 delivery and in the end it took a year.  Absolutely disgusting business practices.

My 8KX is now setup and working perfectly with my IPD of 63, but it did take some tinkering with the software offsets at first.  It has a good resolution, great FoV and is a solid enough build uality for me (I guess I got lucky).  I have been through a lot of HMDs and to be frank, the 8KX is right up there at the top for features, clarity and overall IQ and the build quality is fine on the unit I have.  I would not trade it for any other HMD on the market today and that includes the G2 because of the narrow FoV.

Though I would say that I would be very, very reluctant to purchase another HMD form Pimax given their business practices.

Edited by ICDP
  • Like 1

I finally found my problem with using 1 base station.  I had it placed directly in front of me.  Turns out I should have placed the base diagonally.  I moved the base station to my left, and in a position that would be diagonal to where I would place a second base.  Worked perfectly.  To make sure, I exited Pitool etc, started it up again and the base was recognized immediately. I can't beleive it was that simple to fix.  I thought my Vive version 1.0 was faulty, so I ordered a new Steam version 2.0.  Meantime, I had it the back of my mind, that the Vive may NOT be faulty because it did work a few times intermittently.  I'm glad I didn't RMA the Vive right away.  I think I have time to cancel the Steam V 2.0.  If not, I'm keeping one for a spare.  I know I can't use V 1.0 with V 2.0, but I don't care.  I have the Vive working.  

Hi slikslik, I thought I had mentioned in our PMs to position the lighthouse to the front and side?  Sorry if I didn't make it clear I meant diagonally.  Amazing that such a poor choice oof words can lead to such issues.  My apologies for the hassle.

It wasn't you ICDP, it was me.  I thought that if I use only ONE base unit, the logical position for it would be in front, and above my seating area. I didn't tell you, or Pimax support where I had my base station positioned.  I didn't think it was relevant in any way.  Had I mentioned the base position when I first looked for help, I'm sure you would have spotted my mistake.  All is well my friend.   Thanks again...take care..

I am happy with the 8kx over all, the clarity is what I wanted when the first generation of hmds hit the market.

Compared to the vive 1 Fov wise I can see the entire cockpit in a JU87 and maintain view of the outside without moving my neck as much.

Clarity wise I can read guages without having to lean in which also allows me to maintain situation awareness better.

However for spotting I still find much to be desired as it is still hard to do IFF and read silhouettes at a distance despite being able to Id aircraft further out limitations of the engine withstanding ( particularly prior to dive bombing juicy ground targets which just pop into view around 1k, too late to make any adjustments, disgusting).

They cheaped out on the lenses, I don't notice distortion on the sides they are adequate for the task but could have been much better as far as sweet spot is concerned in the periphery of the lenses when moving your eyeballs to look around.

God rays are noticeable from time to time, colour is nothing to write home about but I wasn't bothered by it.

The HMD does get very toasty at the top in summer I just cannot play there is no ventilation the inside becomes a sauna traps heat like crazy.

Tracking is subpar compared to vive, I've lost tracking on numerous occasions the sensors are easy to occlude mostly when grabbing the hmd and shifting it around to find the best sweet spot.

There is no room for glasses and no adjustment mechanism, you need thick foam which they haven't sent me yet.

They had some issue with the hinges that didn't allow the back of the hmd to go down all the way, that was addressed within a reasonable time frame they sent me new hinges plastic instead of metal though but they do the job well now.

Comfort is good, it is quite hefty but I find for my narrow head it supports a good deal of the weight by clamping the lower half of the back of my skull.

Audio is crap at the moment SMAS outright sucks. That will change once I get the DMAS for now I use ANC headphones which will be better than DMAS anyways as it eleminates background noise like fan and bass shakers without needing to crank volume high.

DMAS will likely suck for isolation however for room scale setup time and comfort it will be good.

Their software and firmware leaves much to be desired.

Pimax experience is a nice addition, in time it will be a great addition. I hope they figure out how to get it running in place of steamVR whilst the game is running as I can control with mouse and keyboard and setup my profile with pitool options in one convenient location.

Pitool and firmware has a long way to go, their latest firmware update just flat out failed to apply lucky it didn't brick my HMD.

I have to constantly unplug and replug the cables to sort out issues, this was similar to what I experienced with the vive when it came out until HTC/valve software and drivers matured.

You can't configure the 3 buttons on the HMD which sucks, I at least want the steam menu button to be a quick press of the power button since it is necessary for navigating steamVR without a motion controller.

They are adding new features at a slow pace however which is good such as new refresh rate modes.

I am looking forward to 60hz native resolution mode which will be less demanding on my GPU as 75hz is hard to maintain in il2 with a 3090.

I did a little roomscale and haven't tried the upscaler with 110hz yet, 120hz will be added in a future update.

Roomscale is okay but I am holding out for the index controllers or a third party equivalent for now flight simming is more than enough for my use case particularly when you have peripherals that enhance the experience. Only missing a motion rig at this point.

Edited by sunnyB

I got offer which I couldn´t refuse; to test (almost) brand new 8kx and to buy it pretty cheap, if it fits me :)

It fits on my eyes and face perfect! I didn´t have to do anything except to put them on, dial mechanical IPD slider on max (I have 74mm on my prescription glasses), and to find sweet spots. That thing is just made for me 😄

I tried to dial better soft IPD, horizontal and vertical, left and right, but default zero-zero it the best. 

And I do see clear with booth of my eyes (I am in sweet spots).

@SCG_Fenris_Wolf I can walk strait after long playing session, no problem with eyes :) 

Pimax 8kx is really, really excellent for IL-2. I can not stop looking on map details, targets in distance, and of course planes far away and near my plane. I think I can spot better now.

Also I think my planes are now faster, and I can turn sharper ;) 😄

The only bad thing on my HMD is light leakage on left side of left panel; that is visible in dark games, but not in IL-2. It looks strange when right panel is full dark, and left has brighter left side. Unfortunately. Also there is visible mura (looks like dirty panels if you search for it, not bothering me), and sound above ear is usable but not really good and loud (btw. I will get deluxe headphones later).

I was pretty skeptical about 8kx, and at same time that was something what I wish for a long, long time. Now my dream come true, I got it best possible way. I wish we all have that possibility to test HMDs before we buy it.

I have to try now different setting in IL-2, something for best spotting and good frame rates (2080ti). For now I use vertical resolution about 2700 (on 5k+ I was using 2100-2300). If I use more, then my gpu is too weak.