Blitzen

Use of Autopilot in beginning take off &forming up for missions problems:

I’ve played CloD since the beginning & I’ve had problems in this area since the beginning but it surprises me that they seem to continue ( for me at least,) now : first the well known swerve of the manned aircraft in the first moments of a mission ,then if I take off on my own and try to join up with other aircraft ,or have them join me I’m finding in DW’s ( occasionally in CloD) I’m unable to have that happen even if I hit auto pilot, BUT if I hit auto pilot before takeoff to take off then we ( AI pilots & me) DO stay in formation all the way to the combat area. I find using auto pilot useful for longer missions & using time compression to do so. I feel as if losing the option to at least manually takeoff and closing up with the flight is a kind of cheat and yet if I try to use auto pilot after take off ( again esp in DW) my plane doesn’t form up & occasionally turns back or merely circles in place. As with all sim issues this might be just me but if not what should I be doing to correct ?

• Upvote 1

"All quiet in the Western Front." - or, nothing has changed in this regard. 😜

• Like 1

Is this in Single Player? If so, don't hold your breath, pretty much every update just addresses Multiplayer issues, TFS don't appear to have any interest in SP. Look how long the Ai and Radio Commands have been broken. 

Live in hope but expect no joy. 

Many of us hoped that with the release of the Tobruk module there would have been considerable work done to address the most annoying aspects of the game, sadly it was not to be, it does indeed seem the development side of this is geared directly at the Multiplayer problems.;)

Although there were numerous campaigns and missions provided for SP the issues mentioned in the first post spoil that content and for me make them not worth bothering with.

Due to the length of time it took to put the Tobruk module together I think some time could have been put to the issue, not much point in super graphics and aircraft if you cannot enjoy that content in the missions.

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

• Like 2

I know this old procedure with autopilot, I have used in the TEF campaign.

But before Tobruk I engaged autopilot during take  off only 2 times very short:

-when waiting on the runway when autopilot starts rolling in the same second I switched to manual control and took off manually, when airborne I retrackted landing gear as fast as possible, switched to autopilot and ca. 5 seconds after autopilot stears left or right I switched to manual control. This was enough for that formation issue and I was able to take off manually.

Now in Tobruk it seems to be much better. In theOden dyn. mission it seems to work ca95%. without the autopilot trick. I have tested  theOden dyn. m.  operation sun flower.

Changed later: what I said about Tobruk / theOden dyn. mission is correct, if you are element leader (not flight leader) of the 2nd. or 3rd. flights second element (very often in theOden`s dyn. mission) .

If you are a member of the 1st flight you have to activate autopilot to start the whole take off process of the squadron, but after autopilot begins to accelerate you can directly switch to manual control and take off manually.

And if you are the wingman of the 2nd element of the 2rd or 3rd flight autopilot is not required too (I am quite sure, I was No.9 only 1time).

I have to admit that I don`t know if you need autopilot if you are flight leader or squadron leader.

This is a really challenging game, I like it!

Edited by kraut1
I had to correct inaccurate information