Autopilot return to base

I'm using autopilot for landing the plane. Is there some kind of rule when the plane can return to base e.g. out of ammo, low on fuel etc? Quite often when nearing the base and turning on the autopilot, it starts heading to one of the waypoints or something like that. This is happening also when the "mission accomplished you can return to base" message has been displayed.

Is it possible to force the autopilot to return to base?

I think the autopilot takes you to the nearest waypoint, even if you have passed it already.

If you want it to go direct to your base airfield, point it on the correct heading, maybe using your RDF if fitted/enabled and turn on Autolevel (shift+A) but this won't land the plane for you.

What I do if damaged or out of ammo etc. is just head to my home base and land manually.  There is not a way to use autopilot at this time to RTB with out hitting all the way points.

7 hours ago, 666kontkis said:

I'm using autopilot for landing the plane. Is there some kind of rule when the plane can return to base e.g. out of ammo, low on fuel etc? Quite often when nearing the base and turning on the autopilot, it starts heading to one of the waypoints or something like that. This is happening also when the "mission accomplished you can return to base" message has been displayed.

7 hours ago, 666kontkis said:

Salutations,

Yes, with the Mission Editor one can manually create all of these options or waypoints to create missions that can be flown totally on Auto Pilot from takeoff to landing.