Intermediate Mission Building - Example Objectives

Most objectives you see in multiplayer and single player are 'destroy X amount of entities to complete the objective'. I am going to attempt to provide you guys with some examples of how you can make a more engaging objective type to spice up your missions. Thanks to @ITAF_Airone1989 for planting this idea in my head.

All the objective examples in this thread:

Example Objectives.zip

Spy Mission

The first type is a spy style mission. To complete this objective, a player must land with a specific plane, in a certain area behind the enemy lines, and stay there for at least X seconds. We also want to provide good feedback to the player, letting them know what steps they must do next to finish the objective. Right away, I know I'm going to need a Complex Trigger because we need to figure out if the player is using a specific plane and has landed in the correct area. Complex Triggers are performance hogs though. So, I'll use a Checkzone to enable and disable the Complex Trigger when players get near the objective. This way the Complex Trigger is turned on only when it needs to be turned on. The rest of the objective is pretty standard for building objectives in your mission. We have an icon to show where the player needs to land. We're letting the player know they're in the right area via subtitle messages, and when the player lands, we let them know the mission is complete via a subtitle and by removing the objective icons and replacing them with a objective complete icon.

Paratrooper Mission

The second type of objective is a paratrooper mission. To complete the mission, players must fly into the zone, drop off and have landed enough paratroopers to capture the base. The video is a little long, but it's because I show off an intermediate version and an advanced version with some cool fluff to really sell your paratroop drop to the players. In the intermediate version,  the players drop off troops, icons get flipped from 'drop here' to 'captured area', and we give credit to the Axis team (since we're using Ju52s). In the advanced version, if you're up to it, we wait till the paratroopers land, then we add in a cool ground battle for a few minutes. Once the gun fire has settled down, we convert all static blocks to Axis, destroy any unique Allied static blocks, and resurrect any unique Axis blocks (that we destroyed at mission begin). Additionally, we convert a neutral base to Axis and enable index #1 planes so that the Axis team can now take off from their newly captured airfield.

Ai Driven C47 Cargo Drop Resupply Mission

This mission uses Ai C47 planes to cargo drop supplies over Lapino airfield. The supplies then give access to the SpitfireVb to the Allies. Because we're using Ai, we do not need to use a Checkzone or Complex Trigger to 'find the plane that I want events from'. Instead, I can just pull events directly from the Ai plane. In this case, I use an 'onBingoCargo' to force stop the cargo drop and have the Ai planes continue on their mission [to the next waypoint]. I'm also using 'onAttacked' event and 'onKilled' event to let players know the C47's status.

If you like this format, then let me know. More objective examples coming soon!

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
23 hours ago, Sketch said:

New mission type uploaded.

Sketch, I did a couple of test.
The spy mission works perfect, instead the paratroopers mission dosen't cause somenthing it's still set on "Allied" (For example "Check zone advanced" IN and OUT, but I think also somenthig else.)

[and the Ju52 can carry 12 paratroopers]

Edited by ITAF_Airone1989
  • Upvote 1

Just as a suggestion in regards to objectives, is there any possibility in adding supply drop missions? Similar to paras, but utilizing the dropable containers we have available in the Ju-52 and hopefully will have on the C-47? Resupplying an encircled position or city would be an interesting concept I'm yet to see in any server

17 minutes ago, SCG_Faerber said:

Just as a suggestion in regards to objectives, is there any possibility in adding supply drop missions? Similar to paras, but utilizing the dropable containers we have available in the Ju-52 and hopefully will have on the C-47? Resupplying an encircled position or city would be an interesting concept I'm yet to see in any server

I think you just have to unselect "paratroopers" and select "supply containers" (or somenthing like that) in the "complex trigger" property...

(you find it at 2:25 of the Sketch video)

S!

Spy mission has been a regular "Flanders in Flames" mission For the past 8 years.  You have to search an area on the map for the spy. This is a random spawn location. When you pick up the spy it gives a 5 minute repeating subtitle that tells you to search a specific area on the map. When you search the area you find a target to be bombed. Spy plane does not carry bombs so another plane must bomb the target.  The purpose of all this is to prevent the spy plane from just running around the outside of the map. By searching a sector you provide the players with the possibility of an opportunity for combat.

The picture below is from RoF but the logic is the same.  Sorry about "food" landing spot.  Should be "good".

nspy.jpg

Edited by JG1_Butzzell
8 hours ago, ITAF_Airone1989 said:

The paratroopers mission doesn't [work correctly].

Hmm... I just tested it, and it seems the onParatrooperLandedAlive event is not triggering events like it should. I changed it to onParatrooperJumped and it's working as intended. I will upload a new video in a bit. I've uploaded a new version of the mission examples to the first post in this thread.

image.png.46c9d688a9d4202f71755e84aad04d05.png

Object Paratrooper Landed Alive is not working for me in my tests. Use Object Paratrooper Jumped instead.

Edit: New video uploaded

Edited by Sketch
  • Upvote 1
On 1/16/2021 at 10:16 AM, SCG_Faerber said:

C47 supply mission example added to the example objectives zip file and video has been posted in the first post of this thread.

16 hours ago, JG1_Butzzell said:

the Prisoner Rescue mission.

This is a little bit more advanced topic (and requires multiple 'steps' to work and function correctly), but it can be done.