Auto Engine Management v Manual : Any advantages in speed/power

Hi All

Im a "casual" single game player with limited time available to enjoy IL2 so I have never ventured into managing engines.

So Im just wondering if there can be any actual difference in speed or power if you are manually managing the engine(s) versus auto?

Or put another way ...  does auto engine management always provide the premium engine performance for any given circumstance?

Or put yet another way! ... if I was to race a player in level flight both flying the same aircraft type, would the pilot using manual engine management be at an advantage or disadvantage over the auto managed pilot . 

I would imagine that over a long course, say 10 miles that they should be equal but I perhaps for short distances the manual pilot might be able to squeeze a little more ? .. for example by closing cooling gills/rad flaps sooner that the auto managed plane?       

17 minutes ago, KPnutskgwanchos said:

if I was to race a player in level flight both flying the same aircraft type, would the pilot using manual engine management be at an advantage or disadvantage over the auto managed pilot . 

Sometimes an advantage, but usually not much of one. I'm a standard transmission kind of guy myself, though, and I feel like it gives more an illusion of being a pilot. As said above, it's really very simple; the main difficulty is remembering to match controls with the situation at hand.

• Like 1

Tempest has full/closed radioator flaps. You use full only during take off/climb, otherwise you keep it off. In auto engine management mode, you always have full radiator which causes a lot of drag.

Manual engine management is pretty easy, i think hardest thing for a newcomer is to get key bindings for all the radiators set up properly

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a lot of fun to do engine management when you get the hang of it - which doesn't take long. Also each aircraft description includes the needed info about max engine RPM and manifold pressure for normal flight, combat, emergency power, etc.

I've spent a long time setting up my keyboard and joystick layout to be intuitive so that I can literally fly every plane in the game without the need to even look at the keyboard (since I also fly using VR) and can find keys very quickly just by feel and have controls for everything regardless of the aircraft, including switching to different positions, firing flares, opening the canopy in flight, setting parking breaks, and everything else that we pretty much never do.

I use these six keys (insert, delete, home ,etc - see image) for engine coolant management. the top keys always increase or open the coolant flaps and the lower keys decrease them. Going from left to right the top and bottom keys on the left are for oil, the middle keys are for water (as well as cowl inlet), and the right keys are cowl outlet. This works perfectly since water cooled and radial engines cool differently (i.e. no radial engine has flaps for a water radiator since they're not water cooled but air cooled). And even the P-47 which has both oil radiator flaps as well as cowl inlet and outlet flaps for the  turbo supercharger works perfectly with this setup. To switch from manual to automatic for oil and water radiators I just use "ctrl+insert" and "ctrl+delete" for oil - so it doesn't matter which one I hit, and "ctrl+home" and "ctrl+end" for water

razer-ornata-chroma-hero.jpg.d4aa86fa6e0915a273157429b86dcf3b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, LLv24_Sukka24 said:

Manual engine management is pretty easy, i think hardest thing for a newcomer is to get key bindings for all the radiators set up properly

Never understood why folks don't just learn the default keys and have to reassign everything to something else. A lot of time and hassle remapping everything, surely. 

8 hours ago, KPnutskgwanchos said:

if I was to race a player in level flight both flying the same aircraft type, would the pilot using manual engine management be at an advantage or disadvantage over the auto managed pilot .

The guy using manual settings - if he is experienced - will leave you in the dust.

There is absolutely an advantage to using manual settings - even on German aircraft that were typically automatic IRL. For example the Dora will not manage the engine settings for top speed properly (especially at higher alts) when you have easy/assist settings selected in the difficulty menu.

Using manual settings on many Allied aircraft also give you access to certain - shall we say - "non-historic" settings that boost their speed beyond their real life capabilities.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Bilbo_Baggins said:

Never understood why folks don't just learn the default keys and have to reassign everything to something else. A lot of time and hassle remapping everything, surely. 

called ergonomics. I have them all on my throttle. So I dont heave to lean over to my kb..
its also easier to recall a binding done by yourself.

• Upvote 3
52 minutes ago, DaVeryRedSheriff said:

called ergonomics. I have them all on my throttle. So I dont heave to lean over to my kb..

Yep I have everything needed mapped to buttons on my HOTAS. Never have to reach for the keyboard whilst flying.

I only reach for keyboard for the Escape key at the end of flying.

• Upvote 1
On 1/14/2021 at 2:11 AM, Bilbo_Baggins said:

Ergonomy + personal flight simming history. Why learn new bindings to the same commands when moving from one sim to another? Some of my bindings reach back to Microsoft flight simulator 3, LOL. I also find it fascinating that, with the right setup, I have better ergonomy in the sim than in the gliders I fly in real-life. Many pilots are ergonomy and control maniacs.

On 1/14/2021 at 5:02 AM, DaVeryRedSheriff said:

Yeah this, I bought an X56 rhino and it was certainely not to control rpm by pressing rctrl + r on the keyb to increase it haha.

The real challenge is to map it on your thottle to ensure you wont waste precious time in a dog fight remembering what button opens the coolant radiator shutters for instance. Once its ergonomical and it suits you and you remember it, you are in business, but you gotta spend some time on it and make the proper adjustements to reach max efficiency.

About management, sometimes we call it complex engine management and the word complex seems to scare people away from it but it is no rocket science really. Read about it to understand what mixture, throttle, manifold pressure, rpm and prop pitch means and how they interact with each others, watch a few good tutorial videos on it *wink wink* and try it. 

You'll master it quickly and tell yourself that you will NEVER go back to auto engine management. 

• Like 1