Amendall

Old games, new computer

Hi,

i bought il2 and then several others (eastern thunder, forgotten battles etc) in the early years of the century. These are obviously on cd rom. After a pause of several years I would like to revisit. Can these games be made to work on Windows 10? How might one get the games onto a modern computer given that they are cd roms? What sort of control stick is recomended? ( I used to have an afterburner II )

Are modern versions available?

it would be just as well that any kind enough to reply should assume a high level of ignorance/ incompetence on my part.

ta ever so. 

For the original IL2 and Forgotten Battles a later version is available: IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. 

It was originally also available on DVD, but it is on Steam now, as a download. For €9.95. And it will run on Windows 10.

Me thinks any USB joystick will do - but that will depend what level you want to play 1946. With complex engine management switched on, you may want a stick with a lot of buttons. And a separate throttle... but that's still very personal, it's all about what you like, and think you will need :)

Have Fun!

1 hour ago, DD_FT- said:

For the original IL2 and Forgotten Battles a later version is available: IL-2 Sturmovik 1946. 

It was originally also available on DVD, but it is on Steam now, as a download. For €9.95. And it will run on Windows 10.

Me thinks any USB joystick will do - but that will depend what level you want to play 1946. With complex engine management switched on, you may want a stick with a lot of buttons. And a separate throttle... but that's still very personal, it's all about what you like, and think you will need :)

Have Fun!

Look for the free BAT version on https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?board=264.0

It's a complicated installation, but you'll have all the modules, and a forum with quite a few enthusiasts to assist ...

IMO you might want something with a throttle and rudder control and maybe the Thrustmaster 1600 set is worth it. 

Steam; avoid it if you can.

Edited by jollyjack

2 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

Look for the free BAT version on https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?board=264.0

It's a complicated installation, but you'll have all the modules, and a forum with quite a few enthusiasts to assist ...

It might be 'free' as in without having to pay for the download, but is it legal to use it that way?

6 minutes ago, DD_FT- said:

It might be 'free' as in without having to pay for the download, but is it legal to use it that way?

I think Oleg Maddox set all the IL1946 stuff free. The site is quite official, otherwise ask Sokol?

Steam is a real money making company, a bother to maintain with bought stuff there and all the unwanted advertisements.

5 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

I think Oleg Maddox set all the IL1946 stuff free. The site is quite official, otherwise ask Sokol?

Steam is a real money making company, a bother to maintain with bought stuff there and all the unwanted advertisements.

Well, in that case ... cools ...

15 minutes ago, Redwo1f said:

Since when does BAT include the full retail version of il-2 1946? -- it's a massive add-on mod (well worth installing).

An alternative to steam if you like:

https://www.gog.com/game/il_2_sturmovik_1946

Indeed, you are right, the installation instructions for BAT show these lines:

Requirements

You must have a valid, purchased copy of IL-2 1946!

BAT has been developed to work on IL-2 1946 v4.12.2 (International version)
This version is recommended as base.

Thanks!

well, i bought all the CDs in the far-be-gone past anyway ...

Edited by jollyjack

On 1/13/2021 at 8:08 AM, jollyjack said:

well, i bought all the CDs in the far-be-gone past anyway ...

Same here.  And I still them.:crazy:

On 1/12/2021 at 5:15 PM, Amendall said:

Hi,

i bought il2 and then several others (eastern thunder, forgotten battles etc) in the early years of the century. These are obviously on cd rom. After a pause of several years I would like to revisit. Can these games be made to work on Windows 10? How might one get the games onto a modern computer given that they are cd roms? What sort of control stick is recomended? ( I used to have an afterburner II )

Are modern versions available?

it would be just as well that any kind enough to reply should assume a high level of ignorance/ incompetence on my part.

ta ever so. 

Regarding 1946, my advice is to avoid Steam as much as you can. It is absolutely not necessary to block your computer with unnessary software.

No need of installing any additional software, the goog link is fine:

IL-2 Sturmovik™: 1946 sur GOG.com