thrustmaster 16k

TheBishop

it is getting to be a pain each time i play a new  plane, to have to sit and reconfigure my TM16.

is there a way to have each plane in some kind of profile, so i can select the TM profile to fit the plane i am currently going to fly?

cardboard_killer
39 minutes ago, TheBishop said:

is there a way to have each plane in some kind of profile, so i can select the TM profile to fit the plane i am currently going to fly?

I set up a folder called IL2 Key Map Backup. Within that folder I set up a folder for each plane I want a separate profile. Once I have all the mappings I want for a particular plane, I copy these three files from the C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\data\input folder (the input folder).

• current.actions
  • current.map
  • devices.txt

into the IL2 Key Map Backup folder. I keep a shortcut to the IL2 Key Map Backup folder in my input folder. I also put a shortcut to my input folder on my desktop.

1.JPG.27e79714c8311fe052725f4d61d61c5a.JPG

When I change planes, I open the input folder. Once in the input folder I open up the IL2 Key Map Backup folder shortcut.

2.JPG.6e9a4966a6a1b00a572fa0edc712fb19.JPG

That takes me to my list of planes (which I order by nationalities, but you don't have to)

3.JPG.bd0a569a4a9a08e4e5d41b4809337290.JPG

In this case I'm going to fly a P-47, so I go to my P-47 folder

4.JPG.5c5cff8bdca5a13a3bcb031eac3fedd9.JPG

In the P-47 folder, I copy the three files I mentioned above. I then use the back button to return to the input folder.

5.thumb.JPG.3abd3c6ee5637592f2ce7a5e287ec3cd.JPG

Once back to the input folder, I overwrite the three files by pasting them.

6.JPG.7090603eaeef1cc087395360460f31b5.JPG

7.thumb.JPG.0b05469b0fd3baa817a665cfd760266a.JPG

Now I have all the mappings for my P-47 and I can start the plane.

Things to remember:

• Whenever I change a mapping, I have to do the reverse--copy those three files from my input folder back to my IL2 Key Map Backup folder.
  • Some planes double up. For example, I can use one mapping for all my IL-2s, but I have to have a mapping for my Yak-1s, my Yak-7, and my Yak-9s.
  • I use the back and forward buttons so I don't copy the mapping for one plane into another by accident.
Edited by cardboard_killer
dburne

Pretty slick there cardboard-killer.

I so wish Il-2 had individual plane controller setups.

• Upvote 1
Sokol1

Yes, can use JSGME for improve this file replacement, or a old school .bat script with copy and replace.

Downside is that for replace is need re-start the game, because these configuration files are loaded together with game, are not re-loaded if replace "on the fly".

The "easy" way, profiles per plane (like in RoF) implemented in game GUI has been begged since early days, when was denied as "unfriendly" for novices and 'casual players", difficult will happens.

Edited by Sokol1
cardboard_killer
40 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

Yes, can use JSGME for improve this file replacement, or a old school .bat script with copy and replace.

Yeah, I've been meaning to get around to it one day, but this seems simple enough that I cannot bugger it up.

TrueGrey
9 hours ago, TheBishop said:

it is getting to be a pain each time i play a new  plane, to have to sit and reconfigure my TM16.

Since you are using Thrustmaster, you can also set your configuration via T.A.R.G.E.T. system in different files and depending on the plane just load the configuration you want to use.

dburne

In my opinion as IL-2 adds more and more planes, this would be even a greater benefit.

Garafrax
On 1/12/2021 at 12:48 AM, TheBishop said:

I just use Joystick Gremlin for this.  I have  a separate XML profile for each plane.  I started by building a profile for the Yak-1, then used "File -> Save As" to build profiles for the other planes.  That way each plane has aircraft-specific response curves and buttons.  Before I fly a plane I Alt-Tab into Joystick Gremlin and load the plane's control profile.

Here's my setup:

• 3 weeks later...
pocketshaver

Is this something that the thrustmaster TARGET software program would actually be useful to have?

Sokol1

TARGET allow you create different key press profiles, e.g. one for each plane type, but seems that you need load the profiles before the game, in this case will be not advantage over JSGME.

Joystick Gremlin do the same, don't know if allow change profiles "on the fly".

JoyToKey allow change profiles "on the fly", but don't support IL-2:GB "LAlt+key", due timings, having limited usefulness, onlu fo single key press.