Spitfire IX Damage Model needs some revision

FAE_Cazador

FAE_Cazador

Please have a look to the enclosed video: a Spitfire IX chasing me gets my 500 kg bomb, tearing off half of her right wing and bending half of her left wing; but still upto 25 seconds later the plane is stable and controlable. After that the pilot realizes the damage and bails out. Shouldn't it have been uncontrollable after having lost half of her wings? Shouldn't it have gone into a spin to ground? But she is even rolling!! With what ailerons?

IMHO, such DM should be revised by programmers.

Kind regards and have a safe 2021!

FAW Spit IX gets bomb 2021.01.10 720x404.mp4.zip

Edited by FAE_Cazador

6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann

One Wing is blown off all the way, the other shredded and hanging off. Symmetrical Damage.

BlitzPig_EL

And, as often happens, it could be a case of the visual damage not matching the damage registered by the program.

Hetzer-JG51
3 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

And, as often happens, it could be a case of the visual damage not matching the damage registered by the program.

Then that would be what needs fixing.

BlitzPig_EL

Indeed, but it's not an issue specific to the Spitfire.

• Upvote 1

Bremspropeller

A missing wing is nothing a roll of flex tape and some chicken-wire couldn't fix.

RedKestrel

There's weirdness all over in the DM. I can't tell you how often I've shot up a FW190, and with half its tailplane missing it still maneuvers just as hard at high speeds. A touch of german MG on the tail of the spitfire though makes the plane uncontrollable. I think there are still bugs to sort out with the DM.

CountZero

They already have quick fixes for this type of problems, they did it to 109 tail, they just need to be consistant and apply same to other airplanes untill they can match visual to code damage. So just make spitfire wings undestructable for short time untill full fix is out, idk for a year or more maybe, like we have now with 109G tail. Oh and do same to 190 and tempest tails as its clear they dont have any effect on airplane when they are visualy missing, make them all undestructable, dont favor one airplane 😄

Edited by CountZero
  • Haha 1

FAE_Cazador
1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Actually and according the Mission Log, Spitfire only suffered 7% damage from my bomb. This clearly does not match the visual damage you can see. At least in my humble opinion.

Edited by FAE_Cazador

BlitzPig_EL

As I said in my post earlier.  The visual damage does not match actual damage as seen by the game engine.  It happens frequently.

Yes spit9 needs DM corrections but for paper and ackward tail behaviour, look at it wrongly with MG  and it's done....unlike terminator 109 tail!

IMO elevator DM needs total rework.

When damaged it behaves like it's controlled by rubber bands instead of steel cables with result of going in overly excessive up or down.....like it's DM is taken from tests of a planes with pitch disconnect system where one elevator side is stuck in positive/negative angle while other elevator side is controllable.

IMO damaged elevator should behave like this taking in mind we can't have it fully realistic:

- if cables are cut of bye bye

-if cables and control rods are damaged slightly (out of it's mounting tray) it would only reduce output and respone making it harder to move (input vs output) or being responsive only in edge stick positions with small output.

In short plane pitch response would decrease, not abnormally increase on edge inputs.

-if elevator surface is bent/damaged it could reduce/limit input angles or simply get stuck in that position.

Anything is better than rubber band DM!

S!

• Like 1

Bremspropeller
10 minutes ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

Yes spit9 needs DM corrections but for paper and ackward tail behaviour, look at it wrongly with MG  and it's done....unlike terminator 109 tail!

IMO elevator DM needs total rework.

When damaged it behaves like it's controlled by rubber bands instead of steel cables with result of going in overly excessive up or down.....like it's DM is taken from tests of a planes with pitch disconnect system where one elevator side is stuck in positive/negative angle while other elevator side is controllable.

IMO damaged elevator should behave like this taking in mind we can't have it fully realistic:

- if cables are cut of bye bye

-if cables and control rods are damaged slightly (out of it's mounting tray) it would only reduce output and respone making it harder to move (input vs output) or being responsive only in edge stick positions with small output.

In short plane pitch response would decrease, not abnormally increase on edge inputs.

-if elevator surface is bent/damaged it could reduce/limit input angles or simply get stuck in that position.

Anything is better than rubber band DM!

S!

I've had similar rubber-controls in other airplanes, too. Mostly the rudder.

The A-20 is another rubber-bander.

Edited by Bremspropeller

3 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

I've had similar rubber-controls in other airplanes, too.

The A-20 is another rubber-bander.

Yeah seems they tied it with amount of flight controls authority which shouldn't be the case in this particular case i described above.....at least not in that amount!

3 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

As I said in my post earlier.  The visual damage does not match actual damage as seen by the game engine.  It happens frequently.

Given that we are discussing software whose actions can be programmed precisely, can you suggest a justification for the above?

VBF-12_Stick-95

It's amazing though what a pilot can accomplish.

20951666772_c25dc642a0_b.jpg

• Upvote 2

BlitzPig_EL
1 hour ago, Cynic_Al said:

Given that we are discussing software whose actions can be programmed precisely, can you suggest a justification for the above?

I'm not here to justify anything, I was merely explaining what happened, in all likely hood.  I have a suspicion that some fans of certain aircraft are trying to turn this into a "Spitfire uber, 109 nerfed" conspiracy thread, which it most certainly is not.  I see that your nom d' guerre is entirely fitting, BTW.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL
  • Upvote 2

LF_Gallahad
3 minutes ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I'm not here to justify anything, I was merely explaining what happened, in all likely hood.  I have a suspicion that some fans of certain aircraft are trying to turn this into a "Spitfire uber, 109 nerfed" conspiracy thread, which it most certainly is not.  I see that your nom d' guerre is entirely fitting, BTW.

I think you are right on point. Sadly, this will mean the real issues or time to solve them are wasted dealing with this eternal pain.

• Upvote 1