Sign in to follow this  
Bert_Foster

Stores Jettison

I have tried to Jettison bombs using the default Keybinding LSHF+D. I expected to see bombs drop in safe mode. Nothing happens. Is this a bug or a feature that is not yet activated ?

you can only drop the bazooka racks and wurfgranate 21 racks with jettison stores command.

• Upvote 1

If you want to drop bombs with safety / without them explode, you can set fuse off (there is key for bomb fuse on/off) and then drop them with "bomb drop" key. Remember to set fuse on, if you decide not to drop them in friendly territory, but keep them and head to enemy side.

• Upvote 1

It is something that is definitely missing. I hope, Devs will implement it in future.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

It is something that is definitely missing. I hope, Devs will implement it in future.

Bombs to Safe then dropped does the job for me.  No need for any more commands.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, 216th_Cat said:

Bombs to Safe then dropped does the job for me.  No need for any more commands.

No need for a new command. As mentioned above, the command is already in game, to jettison the bazooka and the Wurfgranate 21 tubes. It just has to be bound to the bombs as well.

28 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

No need for a new command. As mentioned above, the command is already in game, to jettison the bazooka and the Wurfgranate 21 tubes. It just has to be bound to the bombs as well.

I'm not following your argument. We already have a bomb drop command. What would be the benefit of another one?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

I'm not following your argument. We already have a bomb drop command. What would be the benefit of another one?

I often fly fighter bomber missions with rockets and bombs. So when I'm in the middle of getting bounced and want to jettison my stores, I have to use a key to jettison the rockets and another one to drop the bombs. It would be nice to be able to do that with one key press. I admit I'm not sure this was possible with one button or lever in real life, but that would be the benefit in game at least.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

Getting rid of all ordinance at once, like you can see it at the AI aircrafts. When you fly the 110 E2 in career mode, for example, it takes some more time to drop all six bombs.

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

I often fly fighter bomber missions with rockets and bombs. So when I'm in the middle of getting bounced and want to jettison my stores, I have to use a key to jettison the rockets and another one to drop the bombs. It would be nice to be able to do that with one key press. I admit I'm not sure this was possible with one button or lever in real life, but that would be the benefit in game at least.

could u bind drop bombs to the same key as the jettison stores? would that solve ur problem?

42 minutes ago, Mollotin said:

could u bind drop bombs to the same key as the jettison stores? would that solve ur problem?

No, because then when I go to drop bombs on the first pass, I would jettison my rockets, possibly before I shoot them. I usually drop bombs first, then rockets, sometimes in the same run but not always. 

On 1/9/2021 at 10:34 AM, Yogiflight said:

Getting rid of all ordinance at once, like you can see it at the AI aircrafts. When you fly the 110 E2 in career mode, for example, it takes some more time to drop all six bombs.

As a player you can set the amount of bombs you want to drop at a time. You can even adjust delay between the drops.

3 minutes ago, [CPT]milopugdog said:

As a player you can set the amount of bombs you want to drop at a time. You can even adjust delay between the drops.

Yes, but first, these are keys you have to press, too. So no big win. Second, to know which bomb drop mode is set, you need the HUD, and I never fly with HUD.

On 1/9/2021 at 12:34 AM, Bert_Foster said:

I have tried to Jettison bombs using the default Keybinding LSHF+D. I expected to see bombs drop in safe mode. Nothing happens.

As @The_Ant posted, only rocket tubes are jettisoned. IMO the command should be named Jettison Rocket Tubes to avoid confusion. I say that because I was confused, but I'm easily confused.:blush:  [Forgot that you can't jettison rockets on the IL-2, so the command should be renamed Jettison Rocket Tubes IMO.]

1 hour ago, [CPT]milopugdog said:

I think it might be worth mentioning that the release delay interval only works for bombers. Players should not expect the ability to modify the release interval for a Bf-110 loaded wall-to-wall with bombs, or the P-38 with 6 x 500 lbs.

Edited by busdriver
suggest renaming command to Jettison Rocket Tubes

Time for some research. Lets find out which aircraft had a genuine "Jettison" or "Clear Aircraft" ability ... and if they had it Link it to this key bind.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, busdriver said:

I think it might be worth mentioning that the release delay interval only works for bombers. Players should not expect the ability to modify the release interval for a Bf-110 loaded wall-to-wall with bombs, or the P-38 with 6 x 500 lbs.

Hum, I have it set up that I can release bombs on the P-38, P-47 and the P-51, either single or pairs.  Also I have the bombs set for a 1 second delay.

1 hour ago, busdriver said:

When the Fw 190 A-8 is equipped as an F-8 or G-8, the bomb release control panel allows for the pilot to enable a short release interval between each bomb. 

28 minutes ago, Taxman said:

Hum, I have it set up that I can release bombs on the P-38, P-47 and the P-51, either single or pairs.  Also I have the bombs set for a 1 second delay.

I think what @busdriver is getting at is most fighters don't have an option for a bomb release interval setting - those options you mention are for the bomb release sequence and the bomb fuse delay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

Second, to know which bomb drop mode is set, you need the HUD, and I never fly with HUD.

The single-engined Russian planes have working bomb and rocket selectors in the cockpit (except the I-16, I think) usually on the right-hand side, and they added them to the Hurricane as well. Don't know about the other nations.

1 hour ago, Taxman said:

Sure, single, pair, drop 4, and all are "salvo" options, the number that release with a single press of the pickle button.

A one second delay in your case is the fuse/fuze arming delay for detonation after a weapon impacts the target/ground/water. One second delay could be hazardous to your health as a German jabo pilot. Likewise only one second can give you a dud bomb if you are an Allied fighter-bomber pilot because you released too low.

In bombers like the A-20 or Ju-88 you can add an interval delay of up to .5 seconds between bombs release impulses when using the "salvo" option of pairs, drop 4, or all.

Edited by busdriver

4 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

Yes, but first, these are keys you have to press, too. So no big win. Second, to know which bomb drop mode is set, you need the HUD, and I never fly with HUD.

So it seems like you're the source of your problem then. 

Sorry to hear that.

4 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

Mmm, not always. Even when flying without the HUD in the He 111, you can always just jump to the bombsight view to see what release mode is currently selected. Otherwise, the P-47 is about the only plane I can think of that doesn't have a release mode panel, since the pilot just had release levers to work with.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, [CPT]milopugdog said:

So it seems like you're the source of your problem then. 

Nice way to see it. Aren't we then usually the source of our problems, as problems usually depend on our wishes and expectations. So yes, if you want to see it that way, I am the source of that problem, as I want to play the game as close to reality as for a computer game possible.

On 1/9/2021 at 10:50 PM, RedKestrel said:

No, because then when I go to drop bombs on the first pass, I would jettison my rockets, possibly before I shoot them. I usually drop bombs first, then rockets, sometimes in the same run but not always. 

of course u would have a  key for normal bomb drop when u dont want to jettison rocket tubes.

A key for normal rocket attack to fire a rocket.

And a third key that would jettison rocket tubes and drop bombs. This would be only used when u need to quickly get rid of ordnance.

Multiple keypresses might bee needed if carrying multiple bombs.

Would this solve ur problem?

1 hour ago, Mollotin said:

of course u would have a  key for normal bomb drop when u dont want to jettison rocket tubes.

A key for normal rocket attack to fire a rocket.

And a third key that would jettison rocket tubes and drop bombs. This would be only used when u need to quickly get rid of ordnance.

Multiple keypresses might bee needed if carrying multiple bombs.

Would this solve ur problem?

Yes, of course. That's precisely what we're talking about here.

Of course if it was never really possible IRL to do it, then it's fine to leave it as-is. It's a pain when you get jumped but that's life. Just a clarification in the keybinding would be nice, especially for new folks who don't know.

For a long time I assumed that hitting 'jettison stores' meant get rid of everything, and I thought there was some kind of bug where the FM didn't acknowledge the bombs being dropped because the plane was still very sluggish ... in reality, I was only jettisoning the rockets and on many planes there is really no way to tell visually if you have dropped your ordnance, unless you use external views.

Ι think that the biggest problem here is that when unlimited ammo is been chosen, the jettison stores function becomes useless since what has been jettisoned reappears on the aircraft.

Once jetisson stores is been used, jettisoned payload should no longer reappear in the aircraft regardless of the difficulity setting

1 hour ago, INVADER_WARHAWK said:

Ι think that the biggest problem here is that when unlimited ammo is been chosen, the jettison stores function becomes useless since what has been jettisoned reappears on the aircraft.

Once jetisson stores is been used, jettisoned payload should no longer reappear in the aircraft regardless of the difficulity setting

So..... if you are flying with unlimited ammo, why would you ever want to jettison stores? That rather defeats having selected the unlimited ammo option in the first place. 🙄

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

So..... if you are flying with unlimited ammo, why would you ever want to jettison stores? That rather defeats having selected the unlimited ammo option in the first place. 🙄

Well, I like unlimited ammo because I wont have to conserve my ammo when I am on the target zone.

After finishing my work there, the extra payload will just add drag and weight, which it isn's supposed exist on the way back home (depends on the mission).

Jettison Stores is neccecairy also when I try to return a damaged plane.

Basicly they are two completly diferent things, the one affects only the activity on the battle area, and the other affects damaged or not RTB's.

And also, contrary to your question , this function is much less usefull in no unlimited ammo , where you can just disarm bombs and drop them ( with rocket tubes being the exception here ), while with unlimited ammo , you can't do that.

Edited by INVADER_WARHAWK

Aha. I see that we are coming at this from differing viewpoints. I only see a use for unlimited ammo in QMB missions when learning a new plane. I don't need it otherwise. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/12/2021 at 1:05 PM, RedKestrel said:

For a long time I assumed that hitting 'jettison stores' meant get rid of everything, and I thought there was some kind of bug where the FM didn't acknowledge the bombs being dropped because the plane was still very sluggish ... in reality, I was only jettisoning the rockets and on many planes there is really no way to tell visually if you have dropped your ordnance, unless you use external views.

What would be nice is a separate command for jettisoning bombs, so that way it's more clear what exactly is being dumped off the plane. That, and then rename the current command to "jettison rocket tubes." That sort of thing would certainly be helpful with just about every single German plane, plus quite a few planes on the Allied side. 

• Upvote 3

On 1/9/2021 at 7:41 AM, Yogiflight said:

What if I were to bring both bombs and rockets, and I shoot my rockets first, and want to jettison the rocket pods, and keep my bombs.  How would I do this if your suggestion was implemented?

Also regarding those who mention unlimited ammo option- I have posted this in the suggestions before, but I propose two options; one for unlimited ammo for guns, and another option for unlimited bombs and/or rockets.

Another complication will be when drop tanks are implemented.  Will this require yet another key bind?  I'm guessing it will.

• Like 1