The Vulching Experience DCS vs IL-2 Great Battles vs 1946 vs CloD

Hello, over the Christmas holidays I took an advantage of the DCS free to play event to try out some of the warbirds they have on offer.
When I was playing around with P-47 I found this airfield attack quick mission where you are supposed to vulch some planes parked/taking off.
This at the start of the video where I drop the 500 pound bombs on the poor Doras. I have to say that I was not impressed by how the game handles bomb damage
to live planes. As you can see the bomb exploded right on top of the middle one and it just got lots of damage decals and the engine stopped that is all.
Several times when one of those plane survived in such good condition that it managed to take off.

It was similar story with the Great Battles series, a bit better as there were some wings being blown of and one plane was slightly moved by the explosion.
The most interesting was watching those two AIs with blown engines and holes all over driving into a forest.

In good old 1946 I knew what I could expect and everything proceeded as I have foreseen. The planes were blown up into bits plus all the pilots near the bombs died.
Other sims pilots proved much more bomb resistant.

Last but not least we have my personal favourite Cliffs of Dover. Since there is no P-47 I used the Hurri bomber to drop some 500 pounders on 109s about to take off.
And results were spectacular you can see the shock waves travelling in real time and blowing bits of the planes away. The absolute best thing was when I got that great hit on the 109
and it got tossed across the runway. It was most impressive of the bunch.

Had a lot of fun shooting the footage what was less fun was editing it cause the free editor I used had some trouble with audio in the clips and I spent three evenings reencoding everything several times to get rid of the issues.

In the end I did no buy any DCS modules. The Jug is really great looking and detailed but the flight model is a bit strange and you also need to buy like the asset pack and a map and who knows what else to play it. Bought the Great Battles modules instead.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

The oldest sim (1946) of the 4 has the most believable damage from the bombs.  The DCS damage was ...laughable, maybe an enhanced version will come in "DCS: Splash Damage" for $59.99 🤣

Edited by DBFlyguy
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, palker4 said:

but the flight model is a bit strange

That's what I can say about boxed P-47, although I'd replace "a bit" with "a lot", lol. I cannot imagine how any encounter with enemy aircraft IRL wouldn't turn out to be a complete disaster for the Jug with the way it's modeled there. DCS version on the other hand feels quite believable.

Edited by Arthur-A
4 hours ago, Arthur-A said:

That's what I can say about boxed P-47, although I'd replace "a bit" with "a lot", lol. I cannot imagine how any encounter with enemy aircraft IRL wouldn't turn out to be a complete disaster for the Jug with the way it's modeled there. DCS version on the other hand feels quite believable.

DCS version feels too maneuverable compared to the reputation and also by just looking how massive plane it is. Jug was good at high altitudes. Down low it was mostly used as a ground attack plane, the role it performed well. It was replaced in fighter roles always pretty much as soon as any other fighter type became available, despite being "later war" plane, introduced in late 1942. 

Of course, with massive numbers superiority it could actually fight against enemy fighters, too, if needed.

• Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Robli said:

DCS version feels too maneuverable compared to the reputation

It feels alright, a big, heavy but quite capable fighter that can put up a fight against 109s or 190s even down low, instead of being completely helpless.

13 minutes ago, Arthur-A said:

It feels alright, a big, heavy but quite capable fighter that can put up a fight against 109s or 190s even down low, instead of being completely helpless.

Indeed, in DCS it feels like a match to 109s and 190s even down low. Which it shouldn't be.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, Arthur-A said:

I don't think that boxed version which is not a match even for a Ju-88 let alone 109s and 190s is a real representation of P-47.

Lol. I am afraid that the problem in this case is not with the plane but rather how it is operated, because for fighter qualities P-47 outperformes Ju-88 in every possible category at every altitude. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Robli said:

Lol. I am afraid that the problem in this case is not with the plane but rather how it is operated, because for fighter qualities P-47 outperformes Ju-88 in every possible category at every altitude.

I never claimed to be a pro flier, however I have no problem dogfighting successfully against 109s and 190s in a P-47 at any altitude in DCS and 1946. AI in both of those sims is way more advanced and challenging than in Box. When it comes to Box, I can run circles around the AI P-47 when I'm flying a Ju-88🤷‍♂️

Hey mate, now you are just trying to invent another topic to bash BoX. I think you already overspent your credibility and made the discussion pointless by claiming that P-47 is no match to Ju-88 due to flight model.

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Robli said:

Indeed, in DCS it feels like a match to 109s and 190s even down low. Which it shouldn't be.

It is a match for ai 190 and 109. But that is a fact in GB too. I got a soft spot for US designed planes. They where rough something not modeled in GB. In any of them. P 40 P 47 is simply not behaving like pilots said it did in any way, they do not bring you home again. I like DCS P 47 FM  and DM better. And believe it is closer to the real thing than GB. I simply just do not use it, I rather take the IL 2

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 1

To elaborate on my P-47 comment. I did not like how it flies I do not have any frame of reference apart from flight sims so I have no idea how realistic it is or is not. What I did not like was it was way too sensitive to pitch inputs like trying to correct my aiming by a little always resulted with wild swinging up and down. I simply did enjoy flying it I do not make judgements about realism as I am not qualified for that.

Regarding the damage model. The visuals do match the impact on your plane. That mission that I was doing in DCS had a lot of 88 flak in it and I was being hit all the time until my plane looked like swiss cheese and if my engine was ok I could fly. In IL-2 any version I would be limping back home barely able to hold my wings level.

22 hours ago, Robli said:

Hey mate, now you are just trying to invent another topic to bash BoX.

Just load up the QMB and see for yourself🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, [CPT]Crunch said:

The Fighter Collection which DCS is a sub component actually owns their own P-47, if anybody has access to the data....

This. And also a bit of common sense. P-47 cannot be as awful as the boxed version.

the term vulture got coined when it appeared in il246 in the console when you did so

when i was a teenager i used to be called a vulture because i was checking like a vulture whom to laugh at

Edited by raaaid
8 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Yes the OP is misusing the term - it’s simply called “attacking” in this case.

I agree vulch is entirely different case than airbase attack. 

Vulch is a failure mostly a result by the side getting vulched fighters. Their not doing their job.