Map making - tips/workflow

Hi gents,

Are there was any official or non-official guides or workflow tips for map making/editing ? I'm more specifically wondering about what input data is required (DEM, land-use, etc.) and how to feed it into making a terrain. I'm quite handy with the GIS softwares needed for this kind of data, but I have little clue on how to put it into Il-2 practice.

Thanks, and happy 2021.

EDIT: just figured it would be at a better place in the mods forum. Feel free to move if so.

Edited by EC_5/25_Corsair

Looked for the same thing for a long time. I used to build ArmA Terrains for a long time and would love to try my best for a small IL2 terrain.

Look for old RoF forum entrys and especially have a look on the russian forum by using google translator. Thats probably the only way to find support right now. 

I am really new to this, and would like to know a little more.

Came across this site: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/introduction/maps-in-arcgis-pro.htm 

and wonder if taking a dive could produce and result in anything useful for IL2 GB.

Even some fantasy-land map would be nice especially exploiting the sea and mountains aspect as presented in the Kuban map especially.

Would it be possible to create something for an IL2 GB map project?

This as the ME has it's protected limitations regarding heights, maps, and forest area editing.

I remember from IL2 1946 pacific the scenery and the mediteranean (?) area among the Catalina plane were my favorites, but that was more than 15 years ago ...

Edited by jollyjack
2 hours ago, jollyjack said:

I am really new to this, and would like to know a little more.

Came across this site: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/introduction/maps-in-arcgis-pro.htm 

and wonder if taking a dive could produce and result in anything useful for IL2 GB.

Even some fantasy-land map would be nice especially exploiting the sea and mountains aspect as presented in the Kuban map especially.

Would it be possible to create something for an IL2 GB map project?

This as the ME has it's protected limitations regarding heights, maps, and forest area editing.

I remember from IL2 1946 pacific the scenery and the mediteranean (?) area among the Catalina plane were my favorites, but that was more than 15 years ago ...

ESRI products are rather expensive. I would strongly suggest to use QGIS instead:

https://www.qgis.org/

For complex GIS analyses I prefer ArcGIS, but for more simple stuff QGIS is a very good alternative and it's free. But keep in mind that GIS programs are rather complex and far from user friendly if you don't have any prior experience. You will also need some basic knowledge in geography/cartography if you really want to get into GIS.

I don't have much experience with map building in Il-2, but what you could probably do in a GIS is to create the height map, for example by merging and cropping GeoTIFF tiles from SRTM or ASTER data. I guess other map building steps can be done easier in a graphic program.

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Thanks 1

Guess i'll need to figure out more about map making in general and do me some reading first ... i downloaded QGIS and have a look BTW. thnx

Edited by jollyjack