Hello fellow Ryzen owners,

I´d love to know, what temperatures you are achieving, as i am unsure to get a Aio Watercooling solution or stick to my Alpenföhn Brocken 3 Air Cooler. I achieve under max load up to 78° C, the Fans are kinda working then, not to be recognized while gaming (due to the headset) but clearly hearable. Do you think that this is a acceptable temperature?  Curious what everyone elses Experience with cooling is.

Greetings!

Jimmy

What model is your case, what type of fans and how are they setup?  Also what GPU?

When I changed to a 3080 FE my 5900X CPU temperatures rose 5c, due to hot hair from the back of the GPU blowing right onto my Notctua NH-U12S.  Now before anyone says an NH-U12S is not good enough, I can categorically say it was running low 60s - mid 70s in my games with the older RTX 2080 AIB GPU.  So it was perfectly fine.

Another thing that rose by ~8c was the chipset.  It went from 77c load to 85c load in some games.  This is because the 3080 FE blocks the chipset fan completely.  The older 2080 AIB had airflow from fans through the GPU heatsink fins onto the chipset fan.

So make sure airflow is not being restricted too much and your case fans are setup correctly.  Your CPU cooler is bigger than the NH-U12S so you should be getting lower temperatures.  Are you usinbg push pull on the cooler (I assume yes because you did say fans plural)?

Edited by ICDP

I have a NZXT Source 340 and Asus Dual RTX 2070 Super. I have 2 120mm in the Front taking air in ←, one 120 mm pushing through the cooler <--, one 120mm rear exhausting <--. One add. 120mm exhausting to the top  ↑  . So I guess, everything is setup correct? Thx for your Answer, so i guess my temps are in the "good-to-go" Area...

22 hours ago, JimmySolarium said:

I achieve under max load up to 78° C

What is the definition of "max load" for you? (CPU stress test don´t load GPU)

Just to repeat the experiment with exactly the same load.

11 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

What is the definition of "max load" for you? (CPU stress test don´t load GPU)

Just to repeat the experiment with exactly the same load.

Ah, max load i consider for example a Gaming session in Il2 in multiplayer with lots of background stuff on like Discord and so. I could try to re run the syn vader test and monitor my temps there.

On 1/8/2021 at 9:14 PM, JimmySolarium said:

I could try to re run the syn vader test and monitor my temps there.

The Synvader is really short, just 1 minute. So, maybe not enough long for temperatures testing.

Instead, I have run a QMB 8vs8 planes in Novorosyck Kuban map at 1500meters, killing all planes and also all ground target using my usual settings with Index 80Hz and SteamVR SS at 130%. I run it twice, about 15 min the first and 30 minutes the second. 

Before launching IL-2 the CPU temp is 35º celsius. While loading IL-2 and selecting mission 40º. Then during QMB it was around 58º.

But the GPU (1080Ti) was much higher, around 78º.

1181158020_Sinttulo.thumb.png.b173a20a83e1d221daa0a1360bd40079.png

My fans configuration is very similar to yours (2x120front-in, 1x120rear-out, AIO Liquid 2x120 top-out)

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/67289-best-pc-for-il-2-vr/?do=findComment&comment=1035912

IL2 (in monitor or VR) is really not stressing the CPU too much in terms of overall load (but it has a heavy thread which bottleneck the whole thing depending on scene). I was making a comparison with my previous 4790K with IL-2 vs. Prime95. You can see that here.

I don´t know if MP stress more the CPU, but you could try just QMB 8 vs 8 in Novorosyk  and let me know. If you still have 78º then you should review the thermal paste,  increase your case fans profile and clean with compressed air the radiator.

I think Zen3 CPUs, specially 5600X with just 6 cores, don´t really require liquid cooling since they don´t need to be severely OC to get more performance.

Edited by chiliwili69

My 5900x, which I run stock, is custom water cooled with an Optimus wb and plenty of rad capacity.

Your 5600x setup should be fine. What thermal paste did you use?

Edited by skline00

I am running a 5900x too, GPU is a 6800XT, two times 120 fans in front, one 120 behind the cpu cooler (mugen5) 

The CPU temps on the finish server and discord in background are mostly around 78 C too. All details are maxed out, reaching in 3440 * 1440 around 140 - 220 frames!

The AMD cpus are fine with those temps, everything above 85 can get critical, as long as it stays below ats just fine. The best improvement was the SAM setup. Its just stops the microstutters in any scenarios, just gone!

On 1/10/2021 at 12:03 PM, skline00 said:

My 5900x, which I run stock, is custom water cooled with an Optimus wb and plenty of rad capacity.

Your 5600x setup should be fine. What thermal paste did you use?

I have the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut in use. Good to see, that up to 78° under load seems to be quite normal for the 5xxx CPUs. Maybe i review and re-apply the Thermal grease this weekend, i tend to use too much :( ...Still waiting for Nvidia to come out with a driver that allows the SAM usage with the RTX cards too...afaik it is not yet implemented. @all: Thanks for sharing your results with me!

8 hours ago, =LD=dhyran said:

I am running a 5900x too, GPU is a 6800XT,

Hey, you are one of the few people with a 6800XT. 

I (we) would like to know how good it is in the SYN_Vander benchmark. Please, if you have time it would be good in you can run it.

I got the 5950x  two hours ago. I didn't test during game yet, but during a CPU stress test I get about 70 degrees Celsius max CPU temperature. I see over five degrees difference between the chiplets and I may have to reapply the conductonaut. 

Fixed it. The cpu temperature settles at 64 degrees during CPU stress test. 

temps.png

stresstest.png

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Like 1