On 1/16/2021 at 3:46 AM, Voyager said:

The Zen 2 chips are at a noticable disadvantage vs the Zen 3 chips

Yes this is very true. 32Mb on the L3 Cache is very nice as well. The 5800X your running is a really good choice. Understand what you mean re the ram, have found mistakes within the QVL's regarding the part numbers and number of modules that associate with the item sold. That's nothing to worry about, the timings and voltage of the ram modules frequency are more important to take note of. With newer hardware, BIOS updates are more essential for compatibility, mind, this does not suit all hardware either. 

There are people complaining about the X570 chip getting to hot on some of the X570 M/B's, when pushing their systems in order to achieve max results for hardware purchased. (It's not just the CPU that needs to run at an acceptable temp for performance).

Think it's best to run stock if happy with performance, the hardware these days is great on a lower budget.

Generally some of the tinker software used for AMD is:

AMD-Ryzen-Master

cpu-z

DRAM-Calculator-for-Ryzen

thphn

You really need to know what your doing when using these tools otherwise it's: "PUFF the Magic Dragon"

Edited by Boomerang

@PA_Willy That should do very well if you've already got a solid 3D card. That's basically what I've got right now with a 1080 Ti, and I'm getting >90 Fps on the CPU test, and >70 FPS on the GPU yes on double 1440p monitor. The only area it's weak at is VR with Max view range settings, but everyone has issues with that, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

That should do very well if you've already got a solid 3D card.

A Pcie 4 compatible GPU is the ticket regarding an upgrade to best suit that build. Hand in glove.

Thank you. GPU problem is... stock. I can't find any 3080. I will wait for new Nvidia GPU,s. Maybe, 3080ti or similar with more than 10GB VRAM. I play at 4K screen (3840*2160). With my GTX1070 I cannot play at ultra settings. Not enough GPU power and 6GB VRAM.

1 hour ago, PA_Willy said:

Thank you. GPU problem is... stock. I can't find any 3080. I will wait for new Nvidia GPU,s. Maybe, 3080ti or similar with more than 10GB VRAM. I play at 4K screen (3840*2160). With my GTX1070 I cannot play at ultra settings. Not enough GPU power and 6GB VRAM.

I can't get hold of 3080 or 3090 either. Reportedly the 3080ti is delayed 'indefinitely', but will have 20gb VRAM

13 minutes ago, PA_Willy said:

I'm not sure you are right..

We only have one sample of a 6800XT. So, this is not enough. I have read that 6900XT is better than 3080 in DCS, but I really don´t know in IL-2.

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, marcost said:

So do I wait for the 3080Ti then? I fly DCS as well

I have a 3080 10GB, and in the jets simulator I cannot use more than 55% SteamVR sample rate in a Reverb G2, it just runs out of VRAM in a multiplayer server. 55% on the Reverb G2 is roughly 100% for a Valve Index, so it's a bit disappointing. If you're buying for the other sim, you definitely want more than 10GB VRAM for VR. The 6800XT and 6900XT are good choices (and I think they're good for IL2 as well).

Many cards are out of stock right now, but I had good luck on a back-order with a local retailer. If you're willing to wait you can get a card eventually this way.

49 minutes ago, marcost said:

So do I wait for the 3080Ti then? I fly DCS as well

3080Ti was postponed by Nvidia. It was suposed to be released in February, but they can't get enough stock for the current versions, and just released the mobile 3000 series, so they are going to milk the 3090 a bit longer. 

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-is-now-reportedly-delayed-indefinitely

I was looking forward for a 3080ti, but now AMD's cards look more interesting by the day....But then again, AMD doesn't have stock either. :fool:

It's a shitsow.

Edited by Jaws2002

Thursday our local Microcenter had two 6900XT's in stock for $1300. I'm mostly looking to boost my fps in this game, so passed on them for now. 

From what I gather, the jet one has issues with the 3090 as well, so it may be more that just vRam. 

I finally decide to enter the the EVGA que for a 3080, so will see how long that takes. The jet one is supposed to be going to Vulkan by the end of the year, so who knows what we're really going to see, by the time cards are available. 

And, it's quite possible we may be seeing RDNA3 GPUs by this time next year, which may completely up end the industry balance yet again. 

For the moment, I'm just tweaking my graphics setting to find a spot I like, and going to go with that for now. 

12 hours ago, Voyager said:

I finally decide to enter the the EVGA que for a 3080, so will see how long that takes

I've been on that list since  December 23rd, so.....

fjtSDhi.thumb.jpg.3a91006c7fb17ae15562e5e42166a4a0.jpg

🤣

Edited by Jaws2002

I think I'm going to get the CPU when AMD stocks come back fully and stick with the 1080ti, then decide on a GPU when things become clearer. No rush on either, I'm not going to chase limited stock round the world so I'll wait until my regular suppliers have stock. Thanks all.

M

On 1/6/2021 at 4:15 PM, LF_Gallahad said:

I am definetly enjoying a different, better experience since I upgraded to a 5600X too. Lots of planes in career, smooth as silk, no slowdowns... CPU is the most important thing for a good simulation. (Running stock too and also with a 1080 at 1080p).

Exactly, a decent card will push IL2 up to 2k on high no probs. But for smooth MP you need strong CPU. The faster the better. Also, the current availability of RTX 30XX cards is pathetic and prices are crazy. 20XX is not a bargain. Keep the 1080, its great card.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi
34 minutes ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Exactly, a decent card will push IL2 up to 2k on high no probs. But for smooth MP you need strong CPU. The faster the better. Also, the current availability of RTX 30XX cards is pathetic and prices are crazy. 20XX is not a bargain. Keep the 1080, its great card.

Yes! Just upgraded to 2K screen 3 days ago. Average of 80 fps on ultra. Great card indeed!

On 1/5/2021 at 7:14 PM, Bernard_IV said:

Get a 3080 for cheaper and your CPU upgrade.  The 3090 performs 10% faster than the 3080 for double the price.  If you can even get one, sounds like the bitcoin miners are buying them now.

Bitcoin miners and Bitcoin are an ecological disaster. The energy consumption of the total bitcoin mining activities are just ridiculous. The bitcoin will simply crash because there will be a moment nobody will either invest anymore to mine as the cost will become absurd, or the cost of the transaction to pay the miners will become ridiculously high, it is already very high. If you have bitcoins, beware, getting out into hard currency may not be easy when things will wobble and they will. Just leave on time.

4 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

Bitcoin miners and Bitcoin are an ecological disaster. The energy consumption of the total bitcoin mining activities are just ridiculous. The bitcoin will simply crash because there will be a moment nobody will either invest anymore to mine as the cost will become absurd, or the cost of the transaction to pay the miners will become ridiculously high, it is already very high. If you have bitcoins, beware, getting out into hard currency may not be easy when things will wobble and they will. Just leave on time.

Yah I know all about it.  It has some value as far as using it in the underground economy but the very vast majority of players in bitcoin are speculators.  I'm aware of all of the problems and think it will fall apart.

1 hour ago, Bernard_IV said:

Yah I know all about it.  It has some value as far as using it in the underground economy but the very vast majority of players in bitcoin are speculators.  I'm aware of all of the problems and think it will fall apart.

I can add that the Bitcoin reminds me of a gigantic Ponzi scheme scam. In that type of scam you promise absurd yearly interest rates like 30, or 50%. And then you pay with what the people gives you. As long ans someone buys your stuff (garbage financial paper) you can continue paying the interests. And this can continue as long as nobody asks to get their capital back. If it is small amounts you can afford to pay back and keep the global trust. But as soon as you have to pay back high amounts and you cannot the whole thing crumbles. This is because what you bought is not sellable, it is garbage.

Bitcoin is exactly that. There is no interest paid but the speculator greed that gets fueled by the rate of the bitcoin. And as the rate gets higher people buy more bitcoins which pay for those who sell. But if there is any "rumor of a problem" everybody will try to get out and that it end of game. The reason is that the bitcoin is backed by nothing. Digital vapourware. If you speculate say on the Swiss Franc or on the Euro or the Dollar, you may loose money but what you have in your hand has something that backs it, like the German or Swiss or US Economy, as well as the good governance of the Swiss political system etc. If you speculate on the stocks, on real estate at least or "physically backed stuff" and you are not a foolish gambler or a complete moron, you will still hold paper that is backed by real companies doing business, with low and highs, at least some intangible things. Very far from the Bitcoin frenzy.

Sorry guys, I am digressing here. Back to CPU GPU.

I still need some thoughts before committing to AMD.

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Like 2
48 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

I can add that the Bitcoin reminds me of a gigantic Ponzi scheme scam. In that type of scam you promise absurd yearly interest rates like 30, or 50%. And then you pay with what the people gives you. As long ans someone buys your stuff (garbage financial paper) you can continue paying the interests. And this can continue as long as nobody asks to get their capital back. If it is small amounts you can afford to pay back and keep the global trust. But as soon as you have to pay back high amounts and you cannot the whole thing crumbles. This is because what you bought is not sellable, it is garbage.

Bitcoin is exactly that. There is no interest paid but the speculator greed that gets fueled by the rate of the bitcoin. And as the rate gets higher people buy more bitcoins which pay for those who sell. But if there is any "rumor of a problem" everybody will try to get out and that it end of game. The reason is that the bitcoin is backed by nothing. Digital vapourware. If you speculate say on the Swiss Franc or on the Euro or the Dollar, you may loose money but what you have in your hand has something that backs it, like the German or Swiss or US Economy, as well as the good governance of the Swiss political system etc. If you speculate on the stocks, on real estate at least or "physically backed stuff" and you are not a foolish gambler or a complete moron, you will still hold paper that is backed by real companies doing business, with low and highs, at least some intangible things. Very far from the Bitcoin frenzy.

Sorry guys, I am digressing here. Back to CPU GPU.

I still need some thoughts before committing to AMD.

My mind has been blown for quite some years now that the bitcoin bubble still hasn't burst. But it then continually reminds me that there is no limit on human stupidity.

On 1/18/2021 at 1:07 AM, marcost said:

I think I'm going to get the CPU when AMD stocks come back fully and stick with the 1080ti, then decide on a GPU when things become clearer. No rush on either, I'm not going to chase limited stock round the world so I'll wait until my regular suppliers have stock. Thanks all.

M

Despite my hopes that the 6800xt would be the no-brained choice, looks like 3080 etc is the way to go once again.

Next Gen 4080 and 4090 already on the blocks.

I am still using the SLI 3Dfx Vodoo board as I cannot decide to buy, as I always wait for the next gen.

By the way I had the SLI 3Dfx Vodoo and it was I think the only case where the SLI scaled perfectly. It was a true SLI which splitted the screen lines between the boards.

21 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Despite my hopes that the 6800xt would be the no-brained choice, looks like 3080 etc is the way to go once again.

For now yes, but we should continue to keep an eye on them as software develops.

As I've pointed out elsewhere, right now the 6800 XT cards appear to be being out performed by 5700 XT cards, which have similar architectures, running at lower clock frequencies, and fewer cores. That simply should not be happening, and does not happen with the other main flight simulators, which implies there is some weird interaction going on specifically between Il-2 and the 6000 series cards. 

That said, given the availability, expected availability, and pricing, the question is probably academic for the next several months. While I gather nVidia is restarting their 2060 series production, and getting a deal set up with Samsung to double their 8nm production, I'm given to understand that consoles and CPUs are currently sucking up all of the excess 7nm AMD production. The only retail 6000 series GPU I've actually seen was a 6900 XT at a local Microcenter for $1400 USD. 

Yeah, I'll just wait in the EVGA 3080 queue, thankyouverymuch... 

Edited by Voyager
3 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Yeah, I'll just wait in the EVGA 3080 queue, thankyouverymuch... 

Yep - I just went there to look, just for grins.

They raised the price, but if you're in the que the original price will be honored - if you're number comes up before April 16th.

Due to ongoing events, EVGA has made price adjustments on the GeForce RTX 30 Series products. This change was necessary due to several factors and will be effective January 11, 2021. EVGA has worked to reduce and minimize these costs as much as possible. For those who are currently in the EVGA.com Notify Queue system or Step-Up Queue, EVGA will honor the original MSRP pricing through April 16th, 2021 if your purchase position is processed before this date.

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

Yep - I just went there to look, just for grins.

They raised the price, but if you're in the que the original price will be honored - if you're number comes up before April 16th.

Yeah, I entered after the price increase, but an $800 3080 is still less than any 3090. And given even the 3090 can't do 4k VR maxed out, I'm doubting that its going to be high end more than a couple of years.

Right now Microcenter says it actually has a 3090 in stock for the last couple of days. It's $1800...

On 1/20/2021 at 2:08 PM, IckyATLAS said:

Next Gen 4080 and 4090 already on the blocks.

I am still using the SLI 3Dfx Vodoo board as I cannot decide to buy, as I always wait for the next gen.

By the way I had the SLI 3Dfx Vodoo and it was I think the only case where the SLI scaled perfectly. It was a true SLI which splitted the screen lines between the boards.

Lol.  It's too bad you can't buy a modern motherboard with an AGP slot.

I've still got my old Obsidian X24 in a closet here somewhere.  Paid $599 for it in 1998, which according to google is the current equivalent of $950.  Things haven't changed much for top-end graphics card pricing in 22 years...

3090's aren't that tough to get - I've passed up 2 on the EVGA notifications list.  They're not going for much of a premium on eBay either.  3080s are a different story.  I hit the EVGA queue on September 21, and according to the unofficial queue tracking on the EVGA forums it's about 3/4 of the way to my spot.  A slow but sure way to get one if you'd like, especially if you prefer a specific model (the FTW3 Ultra in particular.)