reconnaissance aircraft

The storch was not a pure recon plane. More some artillery observer or personal transport plane.

There are other planes out by history, doing recon as designed for, like the HS126.

This historic picture shows hob large it is, compared to the fragile Storch, also a lot faster, what makes sense for a recon plane.

Hopefuly we will get some day a possibility to fly recon missions (Flying Circus has it already in some limit capacity).

Hopefuly also, that it will fit fine in some "air marshal" thing, which the dev's spoke some longer time ago.

hq812m1w1st51.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The L-5 and also the Auster would be useful on the Normandy and Rhineland map, even if it's just as AI aircraft. Hunting spotter aircraft was an important mission type for Luftwaffe fighters late in the war. At the moment we can't create such missions in the game.

Regarding the Storch - I think after early 1942 it was rarely used in the observer/spotter role, so the Hs-126 or Fw-189 would be more useful.

Personally I also wouldn't mind a camera modification for the Bf-109 G-6, which would transform it into the G-8 recon version. In the last year of the war the Bf-109 had replaced all other types in the daylight close range reconnaissance role. The missions flown by the Luftwaffe's recon units equipped with the Bf-109 are quite interesting, but unfortunately nearly forgotten today. For example the units in France managed to photograph almost all important Channel ports between April and June 1944 despite Allied air superiority. On the eastern front several recon pilots achieved ace status.

Edited by Juri_JS
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 4

And +1 for servers offering recon missions, too! There has been a time with setups like "no recon - no targets", long ago. Somehow that kind of realism does not attract the dogfighting majority.

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys. Also playi g Tank Crew will be great have a "recon" plane, like searching for enemy tanks posittions or moves. 

And @Retnek is true +1 for the servers offering recon missions!

Cheers!  And Thank you guys!! 

Might be a language thing, but you do seem to be conflating recon and spotter types. Either way, I hope that with the release of FC2 and career mode for it they will bring over the artillery spotting, photo and visual recon functions from RoF, which would make aircraft like the Storch or photo-recon aircraft worth having in game, though of course I doubt they fare well on the profitability scale. 

• Upvote 1