Navigation: Any Tips for Realistic Career?

Hi everybody, 

i just came back on IL2 after a lot of years (i played it as a kid) and i'm pretty confident with this game since i played a lot of Kerbal Space Program in cockpit view. 

I would love to play a full realism career but i have a problem with comms and navigation.

What does VECTOR stays for? I guess is the dot on the map used as a checkpoint or something.

How informations are given to the player when flying realistic? Is there a voice communicating the next vector? 

Any general tips?

Thanks a lot! 

On 1/3/2021 at 10:34 PM, SpaceCarmelo said:

Hi everybody, 

i just came back on IL2 after a lot of years (i played it as a kid) and i'm pretty confident with this game since i played a lot of Kerbal Space Program in cockpit view. 

I would love to play a full realism career but i have a problem with comms and navigation.

What does VECTOR stays for? I guess is the dot on the map used as a checkpoint or something.

How informations are given to the player when flying realistic? Is there a voice communicating the next vector? 

Any general tips?

Thanks a lot! 

Hi,

Vector to Target works not really as far as I know.

I am playing always with realistic settings.

I try get the orientation by observing the rivers, woods, coastlines and cities and compare it with the map. This works

I switch off the icons on the map but I display the flight paths, these could be drawn in a real map.

Some but not all planes have a working radio direction finding device (e.g. late FW190, BF110). If in the mission radio beacons  are placed you can choose the frequency and if the device works you get the direction and info if you are close or far away.

And you can ask the ground control for the direction to your base. keys:  TAB   9=Ground Control    2=Vector to base

Sorry, no time available for more explanations

Best Regards

grafik.thumb.png.e7341cfe556033f25b31efab6cb5d36b.png

2 hours ago, kraut1 said:

Hi,

Vector to Target works not really as far as I know.

I am playing always with realistic settings.

I try get the orientation by observing the rivers, woods, coastlines and cities and compare it with the map. This works

I switch off the icons on the map but I display the flight paths, these could be drawn in a real map.

Some but not all planes have a working radio direction finding device (e.g. late FW190, BF110). If in the mission radio beacons  are placed you can choose the frequency and if the device works you get the direction and info if you are close or far away.

And you can ask the ground control for the direction to your base. keys:  TAB   9=Ground Control    2=Vector to base

Sorry, no time available for more explanations

Best Regards

grafik.thumb.png.e7341cfe556033f25b31efab6cb5d36b.png

Hi Kraut! 

Thanks a lot for these infos, i just had my first full realism mission today and enjoyed it a lot.

I'm confident with everything right now thanks to your post, but i still can't understand the radio callouts about the waypoints.

I mean when you're playing a mission and the AI "leader" (i guess) gives voice indications like VECTOR 060 - HEIGHT 41 (3500)

I'm a bit confused since these values seems not fits with the vectors on the flight path, maybe i'm missing something.

I guess they are relative to AI aircraft positions, or maybe some measure units are different (i play with meters)

Thanks for the reply and enjoy your flights

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2021 at 2:07 AM, SpaceCarmelo said:

I'm a bit confused since these values seems not fits with the vectors on the flight path, maybe i'm missing something.

I guess they are relative to AI aircraft positions, or maybe some measure units are different (i play with meters)

Some of the callouts of friendly AI are not meant for your flight with your waypoints.

Its meant for their own waypoints.