Why dose the motor shut off when I extend gear

I'm on final at about 200mph and 3/4 flaps slowing nicely.(hit G on the key board and motor shuts off..( hit E) and it restarts. I make it down but not after the panic attack.

Any clues? 

This seems to happen ever time, 

TxDoughboy

RAF209 Doughboy Retired (RB3D )

Did you check your key bindings?

If your engine always shuts down when hitting G, the key might be assigned to an engine command.

Edit: ninja'd.

Edited by Fritz_X

Sorry ole chap, but Monty needs petrol for his big push through Arnhem, so all fuel will be cut off on final approach. I know it is a bit of a bother,  but the war will be over by Christmas.

On 1/4/2021 at 10:54 AM, PatrickAWlson said:

I can just imagine that "feature" on a real plane.  Saves a little gas on final.

Well, the Super Hornet did have a button that put the plane into a flat spin... 

2 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Was it properly labeled?  

Well, not really, no... It was the "spin recovery" button. 

I'm given to understand they just safety-wired it on the Super Hornet so you couldn't press it unless you *really* wanted too, but I imagine the transition familiarizations were marvelous. "And this button crashes the airplane!" 

For reference, on the legacy Hornet. the "Spin Recovery" switch was last ditch command for if you were in a spin and couldn't recover it. The FBW system would do things to try and get you out.

From what I gather, it wasn't very effective, so when they developed the Super Hornet they didn't update the control logic for the new airframe. However the old control logic with the new aerodynamics turned out to do Bad Things(tm) to the plane's flight profile, so they just told pilot not to use it anymore. 

All I can figure it that it must have been cheaper to leave it in than do the change paperwork to take it out. 

17 hours ago, Voyager said:

Well, not really, no... It was the "spin recovery" button. 

I'm given to understand they just safety-wired it on the Super Hornet so you couldn't press it unless you *really* wanted too, but I imagine the transition familiarizations were marvelous. "And this button crashes the airplane!" 

For reference, on the legacy Hornet. the "Spin Recovery" switch was last ditch command for if you were in a spin and couldn't recover it. The FBW system would do things to try and get you out.

From what I gather, it wasn't very effective, so when they developed the Super Hornet they didn't update the control logic for the new airframe. However the old control logic with the new aerodynamics turned out to do Bad Things(tm) to the plane's flight profile, so they just told pilot not to use it anymore. 

All I can figure it that it must have been cheaper to leave it in than do the change paperwork to take it out. 

Hell, at least disconnect the wiring.  Or rewire it to the ejector seat :) 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's a generational thing, but no, in the six years I was in the Army, I never heard a joke like that - and yes, I spent a fair amount of time serving in armor and infantry formations.

I have a feeling some folks may not have been in the real military at all. 

If you havent joked about the lowest bidder making your gear.. then i fear you might apply under REMF standards of engagement.  Not to be mean or anything, not EVERYONE in the rear is clueless.  We do appreciete the quartermaster corps alot. And the crews that load ordnance on planes and choppers.