Game version 4.505 discussion: Cockpits in 4K, I-16 in 4K, other changes

16 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

If you fly by in one of those, a bunch of kids punch each other in the shoulder.

... at which point you do a (really tight) circle and open up on them! :thank_you:

• Haha 3
5 minutes ago, I./SG1.Ludovisi said:

What is the impact of 4K text of cockpit for VR users? IMHO the last update has a huge impact on the game: can they be disabled by user?

Have you tried to unselect the option "Use 4K textures" in the graphic settings of your game?

Small issue I have noticed since the update. 
In my case, during multiplayer, the field of view will automatically revert to the default FOV. This seems to happen when the view is padlocked to an enemy aircraft. The view field is the same, until the view is unlocked. Then the FOV immediately zooms to the default (as it were before altering the view preference and saving it) 

not sure if I described it well. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hotfix list said it was addressed but still happens. 
Verified it happens in Hurricane.

Fixed!! 

Dear friends,

Another hotfix is on, hopefully it will maximize your quality of sim life in the New Year eve.

1. Saved zoom value in a cockpit snap view won't reset in multiplayer;
2. Tank comman.........

Edited by SShrike
Update

I'm blown away by the cockpits... I hadn't downloaded any 4k cockpits before and I regret not having them - I find the crisper dials make it much easier to quickly consult them... I'm relating to the cockpit very differently now!

• Upvote 2
On 1/2/2021 at 10:09 PM, 386/21.CT.Ludovisi said:

What is the impact of 4K text of cockpit for VR users? IMHO the last update has a huge impact on the game: can they be disabled by user?

What impact on the game has the latest update had for you?  Is it a performance issue or more a game play issue?

As a VR user I have found the 4K cockpits to be very nice addition with minimal impact on performance.  I think the ground roughness setting (I forget off the top of my head the setting term) might have an impact, I am testing using it set to Low instead of High, that combined with 100km view render distance but with Ultra preset and High Shadows and Clouds, medium mirrors.

At 2684 x 2232 per eye SteamVR render target - I get very good result with no AA. 

I could try bumping the render target but then I would have to reduce graphics settings and my experiments so far I don't get the distant contact spotting capability with higher SS settings as I do with what I use now.

Now also have 2 Moscow Careers in Iron Man play with a I-16 and Hurricane II on Difficult Campaign setting appropriate for the skill set per side (Germans High, VVS Low).  It's a blast.

Maybe this could be interesting for VR users that do have an low spec GPU and WMR hs. 

The transferring ultra cloud settings to GPreset0 file & ingame ultra clouds, 4K skins & 4k cockpits are the only luxury I’m using in VR,  for the rest its all being low and disabled. 

The Dynamic Resolution factor is set to 0.8, SteamVR SS set to 140-150% and reprojection in that SteamVR file manually set to auto. 

In windows10 the settings are quality and 90fps, as using 60fps/performance, does give in my case limited FOV and planes cockpits thats moving. 

So most of the time my flight is at 140-150% SS which is a much better view then at 100% in my O+, when it become difficult for my GTX1080 GPU the DRF shifts inn to maintain high FPS. While at the point my GPU is being overflowing the Auto reprojecting is going to be active and is holding the 45FPS. 

It's great that developers gave us uneven terrain. I was surprised a lot that uneven terrain is put into the graphics settings instead of server difficulty or so. I assume that tank player with disabled uneven terrain has an advantage against player with uneven terrain set to max due to swinging main gun when stopping. It's easier to find enemy when tank is not swinging from side to side.

Or am I wrong?

16 minutes ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

It's great that developers gave us uneven terrain. I was surprised a lot that uneven terrain is put into the graphics settings instead of server difficulty or so. I assume that tank player with disabled uneven terrain has an advantage against player with uneven terrain set to max due to swinging main gun when stopping. It's easier to find enemy when tank is not swinging from side to side.

Or am I wrong?

It's just the graphics, tanks behave the same.

5 hours ago, 216th_Jordan said:

It's just the graphics, tanks behave the same.

Yes, you're right, but when I am going over uneven terrain in gunner position, it's much harder to recognize something on the horizon, while optics is swinging up and down.

11 minutes ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

Yes, you're right, but when I am going over uneven terrain in gunner position, it's much harder to recognize something on the horizon, while optics is swinging up and down.

They swing up and down the same too.

20 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

They swing up and down the same too.

I think the Devs left a whole bunch of placebos on the ground, and when the tanks run over them they bounce a bit more.

• Haha 1

Hi

Newbie here.

So I launch IL2 Flying Circus and the game tells me it must update, and it will not load.  17 GB download = 2 hours.

Is there no way of instructing the game to not update and just launch itself as the installed version?

Thanks in advance

V

• 3 weeks later...

If I am not wrong now all planes and cockpits are now 4K. 

I noticed that the texture (logo and text) on the propeller of the P51 is 4K but on the P40 it is not hence a much more blurred text and logo.

I have not checked for other planes, it could be on other ones too.

Maybe in the next update it will be corrected.

Same with the P38. Seems default skin and propeller are not 4K.

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Han unpinned this topic