Game version 4.505 discussion: Cockpits in 4K, I-16 in 4K, other changes

39 minutes ago, flugkapitan said:

Regarding the lockable tailwheel,  Captain Eric Brown, FAA, who flew pretty much every German aircraft of WWII, states on page 190 of "Wings of the Luftwaffe" about flying the Ju88-A5:

Ground handling proved extremely easy with the Ju 88's good brakes. One had to ensure that the lockable tailwheel was disengaged before taxying...."

and:

"After lining up for take-off by taxying a dozen yards or so to ensure that the tailwheel was straight, this was locked in position, an interlock preventing operation of the hydraulics until the locking procedure had been completed".

He later on goes to say about flying the Ju88G-1 that there wasn't really all that much difference in later marks other than more equipment.

Cheers,

Scott

51bXv6U-aIL._SX370_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

p.287 'Because the Ju 88 tended to swing on take-off and the tail-wheel was not steerable, a lock was provided for the tail-wheel to be fixed in the straight-ahead position. If this lock was not engaged, an interlocking device prevented the flaps being lowered to the take-off position.'

It doesn't say if this applies to all variants of the Ju88, but since the A-5 predates the A-4 and wasn't hugely different, the quote above and Eric Brown's testimony would suggest that the GB Ju88 is in error here. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, NIK14 said:

Did something go wrong with this update? It seems I am unable to set 109's smoking or on fire with non-cannon armed planes..like the i-16, P-51 and Hurricane...those or the ones I have tried so far, and the 109's I have been shooting at were E-7's and G-6late.

I will keep testing, but thus far this was a massive disappointment in my opinion.

Or maybe my installation didn't go right? Does anyone else have these issues?

The issue seems to be even bigger in FC. You can shoot now 500 bullets into someone without reaction. Only the pilot is affected by the bullets as before that patch. What me irritates is, that there is no word about DM in the patch log. Last patch had changes, but not this one. So maybe it is a bug ? Otherwise some tuning would be appreciated.

First of all, thanks Dev Team for this surprise Xmas gift !

Discussed already in a couple of other topics, and not a showstopper, however the rain drops are totally cool for an aircraft standing static on the ground, but any speed around 20-30 KTS and above would immediately blow the raindrops up and around the windshield and the cockpit glass on the sides too, let alone at flight speeds.

737 taking off in heavy rain

I hope I'm not mistaken when climbing into a cloud and static raindrops appear on the cockpit, then they are standing still.

I know this is not the most important feature, just tought to mention.

Thanks for your work again !

• Haha 1

Thank you Oyster_KAI for all your professional work and 1CGs making the 4k Cockpits official.

I had few looks on the new cockpits and being very impressed. What a great improvement was made in BoX and what a big step ahead was done in comparison to other products! 😁

New cockpits look amazing. 

Can't wait! 

@Jason_Williams

I wouldn't call it an epic fail. This year has been tough. 

I'd like to think the community has a little understanding there with it being the holidays and all.

Glad it's getting looked at regardless

• Upvote 6

@Jason_Williams
fixing_problems.png

XKCD always makes me laugh.

Don't stress on the bug, you and the team have given us some epic stuff this year, hopefully it'll be a missed line somewhere, we'll just use this as an opportunity to improve our shooting until it's patched 😉

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 4

Well, if you are using a plane that is only armed with machine guns, you better be good at pilot kills.  I was flying last night testing the new patch and for the life of me I couldn't understand why I was having so much trouble with the P51 and I-16 (no cannons).  Then I switched to the La5 fn, and I was back to my old gunnery proficiency, such as it is.

2 minutes ago, enyak said:

Good news on the machinegun damage bug. I was just 1vs1-ing F4 vs Hurricane and Hurricane vs F4 and could not wrap my mind about how many MG hits each plane took with no damage to show.

Yeah, 1C owes me a kill for my Spit Vb career that I was playing yesterday.  4 planes downed with cannons and 303s, but that last 5th just wouldn't die no matter how much 303 ammo I pumped into it (Cannons were out).  I would have made ace in a flight on my second sortie.  I demand a recount!  ;)

1 minute ago, Noisemaker said:

Yeah, 1C owes me a kill for my Spit Vb career that I was playing yesterday.  4 planes downed with cannons and 303s, but that last 5th just wouldn't die no matter how much 303 ammo I pumped into it (Cannons were out).  I would have made ace in a flight on my second sortie.  I demand a recount!  ;)

*Rudy Guiliani intensifies.

• Haha 2
17 hours ago, ROCKET_KNUT said:

Not exactly sure which problem the devs are referring to, but obviously it isn´t that one:

A-20.thumb.jpg.cc2d4c557e45e27a1958be0ac8d24e37.jpg

Yes, you are looking at the front section of an A-20, 8.74km (5.4mls) away, in broad daylight and you can see the signal light, telling you "Bomb bay open" in the back end of the a/c.

Taken today on C/B after update... I guess, we´ll have to wait just that little bit more. 🍻

I think the issue they fixed was that the tail light dragged a couple hundred metres behind the A20 sometimes when the doors were open. Lights being visible from great distances is just the way tracers and landing lights work in the sim. Hopefully someday it gets tweaked

• Upvote 2

Shows how slow I am. Flying the P-51 last night I was practicing bouncing Me-262s from altitude. Nailed two with PKs. The others I shot up pretty well. Several hits in the wings and engine nacelles. It never occurred to me a bug had crept in. 

Suddenly feeling much better about my gunnery. 😊

43 minutes ago, Sneaksie said:

it addresses the issue with AP projectiles that couldn't damage aircraft components and equipment

Great thanks for the fix.  I poured almost a full load of my 50 caliber into a G14 last night and it remained undamaged.  I figured something was amiss.  I know some have been commenting about 50 caliber being nerfed but I couldn't believe it was that bad!!!

8 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Question: does one need to have the checkbox for "Use 4k Textures" in the graphics settings to be checked to see the new 4k cockpit textures? I imagine so, currently I run with that not checked.

Yes for now, I believe they will remove that eventually. But for now people with low end systems they probably need it. FYI: just a wild guess. 

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff
3 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

Yes for now, I believe they will remove that eventually. But for now people with low end systems they probably need it. FYI: just a wild guess. 

I will try it then, previously this setting gave me more stutters, but there's been a lot of optimization and a system upgrade for me since I looked at it, so I will give it a try.

1 hour ago, Sneaksie said:

Dear friends,
4.505b hotfix is up - it addresses the issue with AP projectiles that couldn't damage aircraft components and equipment, corrects raindrops effect on the Pe-2 s.87 front canopy and updates 109G14, 109G6 late and 109K4 cockpit textures. Also, Tank Crew single missions were updated.

:good:

Wow you guys are incredible!!

Happy New Year!!

1 hour ago, Sneaksie said:

Dear friends,
4.505b hotfix is up - it addresses the issue with AP projectiles that couldn't damage aircraft components and equipment, corrects raindrops effect on the Pe-2 s.87 front canopy and updates 109G14, 109G6 late and 109K4 cockpit textures. Also, Tank Crew single missions were updated.

Thanks for the quick hotfix, but the "bugs" on all Bf 109 are still there.

Please see my post.

• Upvote 1
  • Han unpinned this topic