Damage model

Startrek66

Hi guys, last night I ran a free hunting mission on the Stalingrad map.  The mission was generated with Pwgc (excellent utility).  I flew with the 109 F4.  I dueled against a P-40 and took it down.  But guys since when does a P-40 take hits like a flying fortress?  Incredible, the twenty millimeters, all on target and he undeterred circling at low altitude.  My question is, are Russian fighters super armored like tanks?

6 hours ago, Startrek66 said:

Hi guys, last night I ran a free hunting mission on the Stalingrad map.  The mission was generated with Pwgc (excellent utility).  I flew with the 109 F4.  I dueled against a P-40 and took it down.  But guys since when does a P-40 take hits like a flying fortress?  Incredible, the twenty millimeters, all on target and he undeterred circling at low altitude.  My question is, are Russian fighters super armored like tanks?

German 20mms and 13mms are hands down not best but most OP BS ive ever seen in plane simulation, if you cant kill P40 with them, problem is either with your internet if its MP or between chair and joystick. One single hit of 13mm HE diminishes any chances of enemy to fight back, thats how broken DM model is but not from german side. For them its easy mode. 

• Confused 3
  • Upvote 3

Same observation here. P-40 and Hurricane are bullet sponges. In case of the Hurricane it may be because of rounds passing through fabric skin but with the P-40 ?

Salutations,

I have observed that the plane I am flying is always too fragile and under gunned while invariably, the opposing plane is over gunned while being nearly impervious to my fire,

Oddly, this perception is the same no matter what plane I am flying for either side. Very odd indeed. 😁

26 minutes ago, Sheriff88 said:

Same observation here. P-40 and Hurricane are bullet sponges. In case of the Hurricane it may be because of rounds passing through fabric skin but with the P-40 ?

I don't even explain it. But keep in mind that the hurricane is made of wood so in addition to piercing the glazes, the shots should open the fuselage. It is different if there was a Macchi c200 in its place, which despite being made of wood was very robust, especially its wing.

Aurora_Stealth
9 hours ago, Startrek66 said:

What gun convergence distance are you using?

27 minutes ago, Thad said:

Salutations,

I have observed that the plane I am flying is always too fragile and under gunned while invariably, the opposing plane is over gunned while being nearly impervious to my fire,

Oddly, this perception is the same no matter what plane I am flying for either side. Very odd indeed. 😁

Kind of strange, but does this happen to you with both the axis and allies?

7 minutes ago, Aurora_Stealth said:

What gun convergence distance are you using?

350 m. I fly 109 F4. Machine guns and cannons are in the fuselage, so convergence is of little importance. 

Edited by Startrek66

5 minutes ago, Startrek66 said:

It is indeed kind of strange but yeah, all the planes I fire on seem to fly on yet all the planes that fire on me seem to shoot me down. This happens ALL the time. I think you’re onto something here and I really hope you can get the devs to look into this. Thanks for bringing this up👍

Interesting. My observations are completely different. I am flying German side, either PWCG or game's career mode and I rarely get killed, usually I kill myself by ramming enemy aircrafts or getting hit by debris and am too low to bail out.

I 16s usually go down very easily after very few hits, Yaks and La 5s similarily, a bit tougher are LaGG and Mig, which sometimes can take quite a bunch of hits. The P 40 is no tank either, and even more, no Russian aircraft, but an American. The one time I met Hurricanes, they were also no big problem.

The only Russian aircrafts, in my experience, that are sometimes very hard to bring down, are the IL 2 and the Pe 2.

And now the big surprise, my name is not Hartmann:biggrin:

38 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

It is indeed kind of strange but yeah, all the planes I fire on seem to fly on yet all the planes that fire on me seem to shoot me down. This happens ALL the time. I think you’re onto something here and I really hope you can get the devs to look into this. Thanks for bringing this up👍

With update 4.005 I read that a powerful repair was made on the aircraft damage model. The developers will certainly take these reports into consideration, because game play is lost.

30 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

Interessante. Le mie osservazioni sono completamente diverse. Sto volando sul lato tedesco, in PWCG o in modalità carriera del gioco e raramente vengo ucciso, di solito mi uccido speronando aerei nemici o venendo colpito da detriti e sono troppo basso per salvarmi.

I 16 di solito scendono molto facilmente dopo pochissimi colpi, Yaks e La 5 in modo simile, un po 'più duri sono LaGG e Mig, che a volte possono sopportare un bel po' di colpi. Il P 40 non è nemmeno un carro armato, e ancor di più, nessun aereo russo, ma un americano. L'unica volta che ho incontrato gli uragani, anche loro non erano un grosso problema.

Gli unici aerei russi, secondo la mia esperienza, che a volte sono molto difficili da abbattere, sono l'IL 2 e il Pe 2.

E ora la grande sorpresa, il mio nome non è Hartmann:grande sorriso:

Il2 is a tank. 

5 minutes ago, Startrek66 said:

The developers will certainly take these reports into consideration, because game play is lost.

You're quite right. They really will - after all there are only two hundred and thirty-seven thousand four hundred and forty four members of this forum and I know the devs like to hear the views of all of us.  

Lets hope you can make a difference:salute: 

Aurora_Stealth
48 minutes ago, Startrek66 said:

350 m

Just brainstorming here.

May be worth just checking (briefly activating) the icons to see how far it is you're typically firing from as it can be deceiving to judge by eye... the 20mm should do quite significant damage if you are close - are you firing from directly behind and through the back of the fuselage? this can be problematic as there are always several layers to shoot through to hit anything critical.

I use a very similar convergence distance (340m) but I'm often firing with quite a bit of deflection (30 deg) or deliberately from slightly below/above to fire into the fuel tank or cooling system - but rarely from directly behind. If I'm following a fighter in a manoeuvre I won't fire even if I know I can hit the rear half of the aircraft - as it usually won't be decisive and I'm throwing my aim off once I start firing a burst. If I can't be sure of hitting the engine or cockpit, or a good wide area of the wing then better to wait a little longer - and only fire in a short one or two second burst to get the best bang for the buck while staying on target.

Are your key bindings set to fire all the guns?  If you’re only shooting the 8mm’s the results will be underwhelming.

1 hour ago, Aurora_Stealth said:

Just brainstorming here.

May be worth just checking (briefly activating) the icons to see how far it is you're typically firing from as it can be deceiving to judge by eye... the 20mm should do quite significant damage if you are close - are you firing from directly behind and through the back of the fuselage? this can be problematic as there are always several layers to shoot through to hit anything critical.

I use a very similar convergence distance (340m) but I'm often firing with quite a bit of deflection (30 deg) or deliberately from slightly below/above to fire into the fuel tank or cooling system - but rarely from directly behind. If I'm following a fighter in a manoeuvre I won't fire even if I know I can hit the rear half of the aircraft - as it usually won't be decisive and I'm throwing my aim off once I start firing a burst. If I can't be sure of hitting the engine or cockpit, or a good wide area of the wing then better to wait a little longer - and only fire in a short one or two second burst to get the best bang for the buck while staying on target.

Interestingly, we have different targeting approaches and maybe mine might be less effective.  When I manage to frame the enemy's tail in the viewfinder I shoot with the 20 mm, hoping to blow the tail planes or the rudder off.  Otherwise if I pursue in prolonged turns I shoot with the 12.7mm deflected slightly forward of the enemy.  I have never performed the BZ attack technique.  But 20mm that comes straight in the queue on a P40, something must break.

11 minutes ago, -332FG-KW_1979 said:

Are your key bindings set to fire all the guns?  If you’re only shooting the 8mm’s the results will be underwhelming.

Sometimes 20 mm + 12,7 mm

1 hour ago, Startrek66 said:

Sometimes 20 mm + 12,7 mm

The F4 has only 7.92mm machineguns, not the 13mm MG 131, which were introduced to the 109s with the G6.

Those small caliber machineguns do not a lot of damage, except when you are hitting vital parts from short distance.

3 hours ago, Startrek66 said:

Il2 is a tank. 

Yes, but even tanks fly with normal wings and normal tail fins.