Comparison Il2 Blitz & Il2 Bos

OK IBTL, but the Cliffs desert map is poor looking at best.  The desert maps in '46 looked better.  Cliff's only advantage over Great Battles is they have more aircraft.  It's a dated game and it looks it.  Kudos to Team Fusion for keeping the game they love alive, but it's a dead end now.  I've tried to like it, because it has so many aircraft I love, but it does not hold a candle to this sim.

Sorry, just calling them like I see them. 

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 9

At the price they are at now get both. But if you have to choose one I think graphics, flight model and gameplay are superior in BoS, also with BoS while you only get to fly the aircraft in the game, all the other BoX aircraft are available as AI

I wish both would come together and have a baby :)

CloD was the up coming after 1946... so there was a lot of hope for it, then it flopped... team fusion nursed it and brought it back to life...

I stopped playing it years ago but it had some nice features..

Great battles series wins for my go to ww2 combat. And envelope just casual flying..

also, it supports VR :)

but holy heck the winter sale!!? Even if you get both, you don’t really loose out..

13 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

What do you mean with fluidity? Graphics smoothness?

By fluidity I mean how the ground flows, the trees under the aircraft.  I notice that despite having 60 fps the ground below does not flow smoothly.  It doesn't happen with COD

3 minutes ago, [APAF]spartan85 said:

Vorrei che entrambi si unissero e avessero un bambino :)

CloD è stato il successo dopo il 1946 ... quindi c'erano molte speranze per questo, poi è fallito ... la fusione del team lo ha curato e riportato in vita ...

Ho smesso di riprodurlo anni fa ma aveva alcune caratteristiche carine ..

La serie di grandi battaglie vince per il mio go to ww2 combat. E busta solo volo casuale ..

inoltre, supporta la realtà virtuale :)

ma santo cielo i saldi invernali !!? Anche se ottieni entrambi, non perdi davvero ..

I have both already 

• Confused 1

Cod is more complex, it was designed with great ambitions, BOX was not, GB was designed to draw WT customers and people not into CFS, basically ignoring anything that could ruin a tight budget. 

Nothing wrong with that, but Oleg's vision is printed in COD, he tried to make greatness.  And failed due to budget and falling marked. 

COD is exactly at a level I like to fly, not too complex, just enough

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 3
14 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Then....what is the point of this thread?

As I wrote I have both titles.  The point is that in each of the two I find that there is not 100% of what I would like to find in a simulator.  For example, the engine management in COD is more real.  The cockpit in COD is more realistic.  BOS explosions are more realistic.  Aircraft damage in BOS is more scenic, not realistic.  BOS is best suited to SP players.  CLOD has a terrifying drop in fps when carpet bombing comes into play in some quick missions.  BOS is more regular and in his case the fps do not drop but smoothness decreases.  Dedicating yourself to flying on a simulator takes time and therefore I would like to make my choice after collecting an overview of judgments.

"GB was designed to draw WT customer".

Dunno about that being the purpose of GB, but in WT you fight the (game) grinding-and-greed, not the axis nor the allies !

To me *any* game not meant to strip customers of as much as possible of their money is, to me, a sure win over WT ... be it IL-2 GB, CloD or DCS.

Because any game is cheap in the holiday season it is the time to buy what you do not yet did.

About GB vs Clod vs DCS (whatever) ... this can of worms, box of pandora  ... put up a website especially for this and getting a lot of attention is a sure thing.

I only regret not having the time to fly all the sims I own ... because I could never really decide which ones to buy.

As long as there is no pay-to-win formula behind the sim I, personally, am almost sure to like a sim for one reason or the other.

GB vs Cod ? IMHO both sims are that good that is simply impossible not to like, nor buy both and compare them because only you can decide what your favourite sims will be. 

Edited by simfan2015

They’re both good games, you should get both, including Desert Wings.

As stated by Team Fusion in an interview back in late August, the Nevada and Syria deserts are very different from the North Africa desert.

To be honest, I spend more time playing the Dover series than the Great Battles series because it feels more immersive, primarily with the radio comms and a few other things. However, I agree that there are some issues, but how many issues the original game had is the distance from Earth to Alpha Centauri, while the current game has as many issues as the distance from Earth to Mars.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

It is complicated... both are very ambitious and modern simulators...

The graphics in BoS/Great Battles are more modern (although Cliffs of Dover/Desert Wings is gradually getting updates too). But if you care mainly about visuals - it is definitely the winner.

The Cliffs engine has some clickable cockpit controls (which some people like), although the gunner controls are less intuitive . Cliffs has a better padlock view and it also more gee forces impacting the pilot's perspective (some people really like it as a way of communicating gee forces, others find it annoying).

Cliffs has a much easier to use mission builder (so it is easy to create new scenarios). However, BoS/Great battles has a dynamic campaign that can automatically generate new missions. Both have hand crafted single player campaigns (some of which are payware in Great Battles - but a lot are free).

The AI in the sims is different. Cliffs can support many more aircraft in the air at any one time.

My advice: Pick the sim based on the theatre you want to fly in! The Battle of Britain? The Deserts of North Africa and Mediterranean supply lines? The winter defence of Moscow? The fight over the burnt out ruins of Stalingrad (and the subsequent airlift attempt)? The mountain warfare and naval operations around the Kuban bridgehead? The last gasp of the Luftwaffe in 1944?

Pick one... and then enjoy it without regrets (and then get another)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Enceladus said:

Sono entrambi buoni giochi, dovresti prenderli entrambi, incluso Desert Wings.

Come affermato dal Team Fusion in un'intervista a fine agosto, i deserti del Nevada e della Siria sono molto diversi dal deserto del Nord Africa.

Ad essere onesti, passo più tempo a giocare alla serie Dover rispetto alla serie Great Battles perché sembra più coinvolgente, principalmente con le comunicazioni radio e poche altre cose. Tuttavia, sono d'accordo sul fatto che ci siano alcuni problemi, ma quanti problemi aveva il gioco originale è la distanza dalla Terra ad Alpha Centauri, mentre il gioco attuale ha tanti problemi quanti sono la distanza dalla Terra a Marte.

Spero che sia di aiuto.

Thanks for your reply. I have both titles,  Mine is an investigation. I started with 1946 then with Blitz and for two years with Bos.  But lately I realize that Blitz, without the Tobruk expansion, is superior to Bos in some respects.  I don't like plug and play sims and I think Bos is one of them.  In Bos I have never managed to melt an engine, very strange I would say.

1 hour ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

OK IBTL, but the Cliffs desert map is poor looking at best.

It is being actively updated... have you tried it in the last few months? Also have you deleted your cache? I had issues with a lot of the desert details being initially too washed out to see.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the result of the texture improvements they plan to include alongside the new cloud engine this spring.

19 minutes ago, Enceladus said:

As stated by Team Fusion in an interview back in late August, the Nevada and Syria deserts are very different from the North Africa desert.

Yeah... some people seem to be complaining that it is flat and deserted.

I installed the desert add on this month.  Have had cliffs on my drive for years, but never really played it much after BoS came out.  The aircraft models are pretty good, certainly good enough for me.  The desert looks like plastic anytime except for sunrise and sunset.  No details, no texture, bizarre LSD induced color palette, etc...  The towns and settlements look like pieces from the game Monopoly just set on a piece of bright beige cardboard.  The interface between the water and the land is poor.  I could go on but you get the point, and I haven't even got to the air combat yet.  I enjoyed Cliffs when it was a new thing, fighting over the Channel against other human players, but it grew old fast, and as we know it was pretty bug ridden.  I see much of that has been fixed, but time has passed and the game just looks and feels outdated.

No offense meant, just my personal observations.

Oh yeah, the AI are terrible. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3