2 minutes ago, dburne said:

I had lots of fun with FSX back in it's heyday.

But no civilian sims are not my main attraction, combat flight sims are. But I sure am enjoying MSFS 2020 for what it does offer though.

For now the time I have been spending in it is just flying around to nearby states/.airports in the 172 from where I live.

Back on my combat sims today though getting my new controllers all set up the way I want for them.

Hows that sexy throttle working out for ya?

I bought Syria, the chanel map and the P47 so I've got alot of combat sim action on the horizon too if I can ever stop downloading!

Did you ever get into simshakers in the end? I've got a buttkicker because it now supports SS and my old Jetseat has been discarded! After having switched to a ROG Chariot chair (office/gaming) as well I've gotta say I highly recommend a similar setup in VR (although its more hassle to pile onto the already high levels of VR hassle) as I know you like these things.

It's one of those that you won't miss if you haven't tried it, but after you have you won't be able to go back!

On 1/11/2021 at 8:14 PM, =CfC=FatherTed said:

Off topic - but have you tried Condor 2?  A long, long time ago I did some RL gliding and so was intrigued by Condor, but found the basic graphics off-putting, and I was not motivated enough to try the second iteration (there's only so much virtual flying I can do before I feel the need to shoot at someone), but it's lurking there.

I just had a look at their website https://www.condorsoaring.com/

From a graphics point of view it still looks dated, although an improvement on Condor Version 1. Generic texture tiles over mountain ridges so that, to your minds eye, it doesn't look very 'real' :

Shot100.jpg

Lighting seems improved as do the clouds. I might well give this a try at some point.

Algy

2 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

Hows that sexy throttle working out for ya?

I bought Syria, the chanel map and the P47 so I've got alot of combat sim action on the horizon too if I can ever stop downloading!

Did you ever get into simshakers in the end? I've got a buttkicker because it now supports SS and my old Jetseat has been discarded! After having switched to a ROG Chariot chair (office/gaming) as well I've gotta say I highly recommend a similar setup in VR (although its more hassle to pile onto the already high levels of VR hassle) as I know you like these things.

It's one of those that you won't miss if you haven't tried it, but after you have you won't be able to go back!

Oh man, I am so loving this new Virpil CM3 throttle. The software is quite powerful.

I got it set up for the Hornet in DCS, where I have buttons assigned to idle and off at certain points in the axis travel, where it generates those buttons, so now I have both off and idle positions that the throttle moves to as I move it up in axis during a cold start of the Hornet. I just put a curve in the axis for both throttles so the virtual axis does not move from moving the physical axis, those generated buttons moves it from off to idle, or idle to off. Then the afterburner detent was a piece of cake, as that is axis only and the afterburner detent can be adjusted a little fore and aft, so I easily was able to set it where AB would kick on when I passed the AB detent.

I just finished doing that and fine tuning it today, now I have the new throttle set up for all my flight sims. Now it is just working out the muscle memory I had with the Warthog throttle and working in the muscle memory on this CM3 throttle. But I am loving it so far.

Simshaker - buttkicker - no I have so far taken a pass on those. I did though also get a new gaming chair. That old office chair I was using was worn slap out. I need to give my wallet a little break for a bit anyways. :wacko:

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Haven't had much time with it yet, but to be honest I was more surprised by how poor the game looks graphically in VR rather than how incredible it is. Don't get me wrong it looks good, the sense of scale is amazing and taking off from airports (especially at night) really does feel like taking off from an airport (though night lighting is very blurry). Maybe I haven't got it dialed in or something but it wasn't quite the gamechanger graphics-wise, I was expecting.

Yes in many ways it looks better than DCS/GB but in other ways as well it kind of doesen't. Like I said the main thing immersion wise is the scale rather than the graphics or textures.  I think I was expecting too much maybe though I did realize it wouldn't be like the videos up close in VR. Well, will play around with it later and try to use gamma (steam VR) to adjust the over exposure. Gotta tweak the performance as well....

And am I right we can't really crash the plane in this sim? Just kinda fades out?

Edited by Wolf8312
14 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

I just had a look at their website https://www.condorsoaring.com/

From a graphics point of view it still looks dated, although an improvement on Condor Version 1. Generic texture tiles over mountain ridges so that, to your minds eye, it doesn't look very 'real' :

Shot100.jpg

Lighting seems improved as do the clouds. I might well give this a try at some point.

Algy

Have you tried it in VR? Sometimes the games that look awful in 2D actually look better in VR because of their simplicity, as with less up-close detail, problems such as shimmering or bad textures are not as glaring. R factor 2 looks terrible on a monitor for example but I think it looks a lot better in VR than most other games with higher detail because of its relative simplicity!

Anyone know if there is a quicker way to download cache data rather than painting it all bit by bit? If I want a city for example it takes ages and there is not data to tell me exactly where I am! No way of downloading whole cities in one?

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, dburne said:

For those looking currently Microsoft Store has Reverb G2 in stock.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hp-reverb-g2-vr-headset/93qb262d0514?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Ooooh that's tempting! $600 USD, so that's £450. I wonder if I were to buy from that webpage would they deliver to the UK?

I've just finished collecting parts for my new gaming pc, will have it up and running in a week or so. Initially to run MSFS 2020 and IL-2 on an Oculus Rift CV1, but would love a Reverb G2!

I had to compromise between cost and performance but overall the build was about £1300 and I got a beast of a PC!

Intel i5 9600k (will be overclocked to 5Ghz)

Coolermaster CPU Cooler

Gigabyte Z390 Motherboard

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080 ti 11Gb

32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 2666Mhz (will be overclocked to 3000MHz at least)

Corsair 480Gb SSD M.2 NVMe

480Gb SATA 3 SSD

700w Coolermaster PSU

Fractal Design Focus G ATX Case

I hope that this is enough to run MSFS 2020 well in VR with my Rift. If it performs well then I'll look at getting a Reverb G2. @DD_Arthur you run a Rift on a RTX 2070, do you mind if, in a week or so, I ask for the settings that you use in MSFS 2020?

Happy flying!

On 1/11/2021 at 2:09 PM, Wolf8312 said:

Did the MS devs make the same mistakes as DCS and GB (in VR hindsight of course)  or will this sim utilize my CPU properly?

As far as I know, MSFS 2020 uses multiple CPU cores, at least 4, maybe more.

11 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

Have you tried it in VR? Sometimes the games that look awful in 2D actually look better in VR because of their simplicity, as with less up-close detail, problems such as shimmering or bad textures are not as glaring. R factor 2 looks terrible on a monitor for example but I think it looks a lot better in VR than most other games with higher detail because of its relative simplicity!

I hadn't noticed that Condor 2 supports VR! I will definiteley be buying it! I know from Condor 1 that you can get satelite data for textures, you can even make your own scenery.

Edited by Algy-Lacey
Sorry for the multiple quotes, the website merged all of my responses!
36 minutes ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Ooooh that's tempting! $600 USD, so that's £450. I wonder if I were to buy from that webpage would they deliver to the UK?

I've just finished collecting parts for my new gaming pc, will have it up and running in a week or so. Initially to run MSFS 2020 and IL-2 on an Oculus Rift CV1, but would love a Reverb G2!

I had to compromise between cost and performance but overall the build was about £1300 and I got a beast of a PC!

Intel i5 9600k (will be overclocked to 5Ghz)

Coolermaster CPU Cooler

Gigabyte Z390 Motherboard

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080 ti 11Gb

32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 2666Mhz (will be overclocked to 3000MHz at least)

Corsair 480Gb SSD M.2 NVMe

480Gb SATA 3 SSD

700w Coolermaster PSU

Fractal Design Focus G ATX Case

I hope that this is enough to run MSFS 2020 well in VR with my Rift. If it performs well then I'll look at getting a Reverb G2. @DD_Arthur you run a Rift on a RTX 2070, do you mind if, in a week or so, I ask for the settings that you use in MSFS 2020?

Happy flying!

As far as I know, MSFS 2020 uses multiple CPU cores, at least 4, maybe more.

Based on what I have been seeing it seems to work the cores on my 9900k pretty good.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Based on what I have been seeing it seems to work the cores on my 9900k pretty good.

Might be one reason I am getting very bad performance as I might have turned off multi threading in the bios!

It's brilliant. And you know although there is no combat, it seems like it has enough challenges related to flight in itself that it would keep me very occupied and happy. On my rig presently though its okay for a look around the scenery (if I don't make too many sudden movements) the performance is in no way acceptable for me to continue. Just ruining it for myself! It certainly could be better optimized I think, because yes its a fantastic looking game but I'm just flying around the map with very little of the eye candy on. 

It's going to be incredible though, after optimizations and when I upgrade my GPU- hopefully. It's worth getting a whole new rig for, but its also not worth getting one too early if it turns out that it won't cut it...

VR is so tantalizing cause you can see the future right in front of you, and can feel how awesome its going to be, but yet you also know we are quite a long way off getting to the point where we will be able to enjoy it in the manner it is destined to be enjoyed (maxed out!). It takes me back to being a kid and playing games that my computer couldn't handle, but at least then there was a computer out there that could handle them!

2D is gone! I thought maybe I could get a track hat or something for this game but its just pushing pretty pictures around on a screen!

I gotta get away from it though for now and go back to DCS (wonderful damage model improvements in VR) cause otherwise I'll spend all my time pining after it!

Let me know when/if it ever gets a massive performance boost!

Edited by Wolf8312
15 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

Haven't had much time with it yet, but to be honest I was more surprised by how poor the game looks graphically in VR rather than how incredible it is. Don't get me wrong it looks good, the sense of scale is amazing and taking off from airports (especially at night) really does feel like taking off from an airport (though night lighting is very blurry). Maybe I haven't got it dialed in or something but it wasn't quite the gamechanger graphics-wise, I was expecting.

Yes in many ways it looks better than DCS/GB but in other ways as well it kind of doesen't. Like I said the main thing immersion wise is the scale rather than the graphics or textures.  I think I was expecting too much maybe though I did realize it wouldn't be like the videos up close in VR. Well, will play around with it later and try to use gamma (steam VR) to adjust the over exposure. Gotta tweak the performance as well....

And am I right we can't really crash the plane in this sim? Just kinda fades out?

Make sure you have the bing scenery streaming turned on, pretty sure it defaults to off from installation.

Then you will get proper visuals.

This is phone video I took through the Reverb G2 of the standard scenery above Hong Kong, so this is totally stock with no add ons.

I know HK pretty well and trust me this is perfect:  Hong Kong Reverb G2 through the lens video.

40 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

Might be one reason I am getting very bad performance as I might have turned off multi threading in the bios!

It's brilliant. And you know although there is no combat, it seems like it has enough challenges related to flight in itself that it would keep me very occupied and happy. On my rig presently though its okay for a look around the scenery (if I don't make too many sudden movements) the performance is in no way acceptable for me to continue. Just ruining it for myself! It certainly could be better optimized I think, because yes its a fantastic looking game but I'm just flying around the map with very little of the eye candy on. 

It's going to be incredible though, after optimizations and when I upgrade my GPU- hopefully. It's worth getting a whole new rig for, but its also not worth getting one too early if it turns out that it won't cut it...

VR is so tantalizing cause you can see the future right in front of you, and can feel how awesome its going to be, but yet you also know we are quite a long way off getting to the point where we will be able to enjoy it in the manner it is destined to be enjoyed (maxed out!). It takes me back to being a kid and playing games that my computer couldn't handle, but at least then there was a computer out there that could handle them!

2D is gone! I thought maybe I could get a track hat or something for this game but its just pushing pretty pictures around on a screen!

I gotta get away from it though for now and go back to DCS (wonderful damage model improvements in VR) cause otherwise I'll spend all my time pining after it!

Let me know when/if it ever gets a massive performance boost!

LOL yes even MSFS 2020 can get addicting.

Great that we have all these options now. And yes in VR it is absolutely gorgeous.

BTW I have hyper threading off also, and the sim is very smooth for me at some pretty high graphics.

Open XR works quite well for my Reverb G2.

I went to VR on Jan 15th 2017. Last time I gamed on a monitor - Jan 14th 2017. I only launch a game in 2d when I am working on setting up a bunch of controls.

4 minutes ago, Georgio said:

Make sure you have the bing scenery streaming turned on, pretty sure it defaults to off from installation.

This is phone video I took through the Reverb G2 of the standard scenery above Hong Kong, so this is totally stock with no add ons.

I know HK pretty well and trust me this is perfect:  Hong Kong Reverb G2 through the lens video.

Interesting I will have to look in my settings for that option. Whatever scenery I am getting , it is gorgeous imho.

Edited by dburne
23 minutes ago, Georgio said:

Edit- got it working as it was but still not as smooth as I'd like! A bit too much flickering!

Edited by Wolf8312
1 hour ago, Georgio said:

Oh wow thanks man see what ya mean! Would it also give me better performance if I am flying in an area which I have already downloaded? Not sure if its because of that or turning of G-sync but I'm now not only getting much better visuals but also perfomance! Thanks again!

Edit Can't believe it! It just went from kinda cool to totally mind blowing! Just looks so good it's like I'm flying over my home country England! They've done such a good job!

Edited by Wolf8312
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

Oh wow thanks man see what ya mean! Would it also give me better performance if I am flying in an area which I have already downloaded? Not sure if its because of that or turning of G-sync but I'm now not only getting much better visuals but also perfomance! Thanks again!

Edit Can't believe it! It just went from kinda cool to totally mind blowing! Just looks so good it's like I'm flying over my home country England! They've done such a good job!

:good:

Awesome, I will have to check that out here soon.

3 minutes ago, dburne said:

:good:

Awesome, I will have to check that out here soon.

Haha its almost too good, as I'm sure it will utterly ruin my appreciation of how other flight sims look now.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

Haha its almost too good, as I'm sure it will utterly ruin my appreciation of how other flight sims look now.

Just checked mine was already set to On.

I been saying how gorgeous this thing is ya know!

• Upvote 1

I think as well (maybe Geogio can Chime in) that it also works so well because I had already downloaded the cache data (high quality mostly) from that general area. That may or may not have also improved performance as it might have meant things were already loaded and not streaming while I was flying. Then again I’m not sure as I had been playing with my settings before hand (G sync) trying to get good performance.

Edit- haha yeah I was wondering if you’d come back and say no this time I really mean it, it really is gorgeous now! 

Edited by Wolf8312
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 1/15/2021 at 12:54 AM, Wolf8312 said:

I think as well (maybe Geogio can Chime in) that it also works so well because I had already downloaded the cache data (high quality mostly) from that general area. That may or may not have also improved performance as it might have meant things were already loaded and not streaming while I was flying. Then again I’m not sure as I had been playing with my settings before hand (G sync) trying to get good performance.

Edit- haha yeah I was wondering if you’d come back and say no this time I really mean it, it really is gorgeous now! 

If you want to help your streaming overheads and like flying in a particular area like around your home area (you have found your house right...:D) make a manual cache of the area, that way it doesn't keep downloading the same area over and over.
I can't help thinking that the Normandy and Channel maps would be awesome to fight over if the detail was as good as this. I know this is a flight sim but Normandy in particular was a ground-pounders heaven, so higher details especially in the Bocage would be incredible.

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, Georgio said:

If you want to help your streaming overheads and like flying in a particular area like around your home area (you have found your house right...:D) make a manual cache of the area, that way it doesn't keep downloading the same area over and over.
I can't help thinking that the Normandy and Channel maps would be awesome to fight over if the detail was as good as this. I know this is a flight sim but Normandy in particular was a ground-pounders heaven, so higher details especially in the Bocage would be incredible.

Yeah I made sure to back up my manual cache of lancashire/Liverpool so that should be okay when the game is finally ready again.

It would indeed be truly incredible to play DCS with these details. Once that happens people will be able to produce very realistic simulations of what it was like to fly combat operations and it wouldn't need massive big missions to satisfy either just  simple bombing runs etc. The graphics really are game changing in the extra layer of immersion they provide in VR. I am just awed by the factories and cities, as it's the same feeling one gets when taking off/landing in a real plane. I wonder how many years off that we are though.

Edited by Wolf8312
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Btw I can thoroughly recommend this add-on to MS2020:

https://secure.simmarket.com/taburet-eu-dem-pack-1-uk-terrain-msfs.phtml

Basically adds a 20m resolution to terrain, sorts out the coastlines and overall wow factor.

There is also an Alps pack as well which transforms sight-seeing around the mountains.

22 hours ago, Wolf8312 said:

Yeah I made sure to back up my manual cache of lancashire/Liverpool so that should be okay when the game is finally ready again.

It would indeed be truly incredible to play DCS with these details. Once that happens people will be able to produce very realistic simulations of what it was like to fly combat operations and it wouldn't need massive big missions to satisfy either just  simple bombing runs etc. The graphics really are game changing in the extra layer of immersion they provide in VR. I am just awed by the factories and cities, as it's the same feeling one gets when taking off/landing in a real plane. I wonder how many years off that we are though.

MS have almost limitless resources and obviously set out to recapture the flightsim crown which they have done and then some.

The smaller software houses like 777, 1c and ED don't have anything like the same resources, so unless they can find a way to utilise satellite data in a similar way then I suspect we will be years off.

Factor in old, badly optimised game engines and it gets even further away.

On 1/14/2021 at 8:51 AM, Wolf8312 said:

Condor 2 in VR looks interesting as we are currently missing that aspect in MS2020 though apparently it will be added in the future once they sort the weather system to add thermals etc.

The only problem with Condor that I can see is it only natively supports Oculus headsets at the moment. You can run run the Reverb G2 and other wmr headsets but have to jump through hoops with using ReVive as well.

While interested as I always was a glider pilot at heart I think I'll wait until they either add native wmr support or MS2020 actually gets gliders as that would be the ideal in my book.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Georgio said:

Btw I can thoroughly recommend this add-on to MS2020:

https://secure.simmarket.com/taburet-eu-dem-pack-1-uk-terrain-msfs.phtml

Basically adds a 20m resolution to terrain, sorts out the coastlines and overall wow factor.

There is also an Alps pack as well which transforms sight-seeing around the mountains.

EDIT- never mind got it all worked out!

Edited by Wolf8312