VR in MSFS2020

DD_Arthur

The VR update for MSFS 2020 is live now and performance wise it seems to work very well indeed on my ancient Rift CV1.  The implementation seems really well thought out with an option within the game to launch in 2D or VR.

The VR menu has seperate graphics options so no need to fiddle around if you are switching between modes.  I think it needs some tweaking around cockpit limits but it's pretty well done overall in my opinion. 

I've only flown it very briefly but the visuals remind me more of DCS than IL2 from what I've seen.

Just one question; when I launch I'm getting this frame in the corner of the screen.  Any idea whats going on here? 

This is using OpenComposite. It's does the same thing when using Steam VR.  Btw; performance is markedly inferior when using Steam VR.

• Like 1
Freycinet

Discussed here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftFlightSim/comments/ki9o5n/vr_black_borders/

Go to the Oculus Debug tool: Default folder should be C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics Open the Oculus Debug Tool Turn the option “Use FOV Stencil” to Off Enjoy! Edit: Don’t forget to reconnect to apply the change in setting (ctrl+tab) - you will lose the setting when restarting the PC. When you update the Oculus software to v24, the recentering issue is fixed. You can see your version in Settings - General - at the bottom it should tell you the version of the software.

Liking MS2020 in VR, even with a relatively basic rig (1080ti) it's perfectly useable.

The latest patch seems to have improved the terrain graphics as well, much clearer.

• Like 1
Algy-Lacey

Hi DD_Arthur

I am collecting parts for a new gaming PC specifically to run IL-2 Great Battles and MSFS 2020 and would like to know about your PC specs, also please can you tell me if you have ASW on and what FPS you get in MSFS 2020?

I too have an Oculus Rift CV1

here are the specs for the PC I am building:

Intel i5 9600k (will be overclocked to 5Ghz)

Coolermaster CPU Cooler

Gigabyte Z390 Motherboard

32Gb DDR4 RAM 2666Mhz

Corsair 480Gb SSD M.2 NVMe

700w Coolermaster PSU

Fractal Design Focus G ATX Case

Graphics Card???  (I am intending to get a Nvidia RTX 2080 or 2080ti or 3070)

A request for one last piece of advice, should I get a 2080ti with 11Gb of GDDR6? Does MSFS 2020 need all of that VRAM?

Thanks DD_Arthur for sharing the video, I was thinking MSFS 2020 would be more than my modest new rig could handle.

Happy Christmas!

Algy-Lacey

335th_GRFirdimigdi
On 12/24/2020 at 6:44 PM, Algy-Lacey said:

if you have ASW on and what FPS you get in MSFS

Don't expect it to go over 45 unless over the Sahara in clear weather with medium/low settings and even then it might dip below that easily.

I've ended up disabling ASW as it seems to make things worse and resigned to sub30 fps performance with a Rift S on a i9 9900k/rtx 2080 by keeping settings to where the sim looks good.

It doesn't matter as much as it would in a combat sim tbh. What it needs though is some sort of color adjustment settings for VR.

FWIW for social and image quality reasons I prefer flying this on a 4K screen. Hours of ooh and aah enjoyment for the whole household.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
DD_Arthur
3 hours ago, Firdimigdi said:

FWIW for social and image quality reasons I prefer flying this on a 4K screen. Hours of ooh and aah enjoyment for the whole household.

This👍

Algy-Lacey
6 hours ago, Firdimigdi said:

Don't expect it to go over 45 unless over the Sahara in clear weather with medium/low settings and even then it might dip below that easily.

I've ended up disabling ASW as it seems to make things worse and resigned to sub30 fps performance with a Rift S on a i9 9900k/rtx 2080 by keeping settings to where the sim looks good.

Another question, do you use Steam VR or Open Composite? Or something else?

I want to get flying with a better rig this winter, and now I've tried VR I can't go back... so if the prices come down enough then I will get an RTX 2080ti with 11Gb DDR6 for now and look to upgrade to something like a 3080ti (16Gb?) when they've been out long enough to come down in price. An RTX 3080 costs over £1000 here in the UK at the moment and I can't justify that sort of outlay just for a civilian flightsim.

And, seeing as I have a modest budget and have gone for an i5 9600k, the processor might be the performance bottleneck anyways.

Different folks (so far) seem to have had different experiences (which is normal) of MSFS2020 in VR, DD_Arthur said it worked very well indeed, Georgio found it to be perfectly usable even with a relatively basic rig with a GTX 1080 and Firdimigdi is resigned to sub 30 fps even with a RTX 2080, a better graphics card than Georgios'. Interesting. Steam VR vs Open Composite might explain it?

DD_Arthur, please will you tell us your PC specs?

One last thing, how do I post on this forum so that the person I'm talking to, so their name comes up coloured and they are notified?

Thanks,

Algy-Lacey

Edited by Algy-Lacey
335th_GRFirdimigdi
2 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

Another question, do you use Steam VR or Open Composite? Or something else?

I use Oculus' OpenXR - it's available in the Oculus app v24 (current beta, soon to be public I assume). It seemed to be the least hassle with the lowest overhead in this case. OpenComposite is out of the picture since this is not an OpenVR-using title.

Also the RTX 3080 is indeed off limits until it goes down to near MSRP. But of course that'll take a while since there are people out there willing to dish the dosh.

To tag someone type @ and then their name, the autosearch does the rest.

Edited by Firdimigdi
DD_Arthur
4 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

DD_Arthur, please will you tell us your PC specs?

Hi Algy, sorry for not replying earlier.

My good old Rift CV1 is powered by an ancient i7 3930k overclocked to 4.6Ghz with hyperthreading disabled,  24gigs of DDR3 and an RTX2070.  I run MSFS2020 with OpenComposite as for me it gives a much better performance than SteamVR.  Just like in IL2:).

In my opinion the Asobo team who make MSFS2020 have done a really good job on their initial attempt at VR.  I simply fire up my Rift, fire up the game, go into VR mode and we're off!

The cockpits generally look good but performance differs according to 'plane and possibly location.  With the graphics settings I run I can fly from my local G.A. field in a light aircraft in whatever weather I choose and performance is smooth and fluid both inside and out. 

On the other hand, if I fly from Heathrow in a '747 everything is jerking about at walking pace!

However, does it work as a VR experience?  Your mileage may vary but in my opinion no, not really.  Sometime in the near(ish) future,  when the stock becomes available again, I'm going to  replace my CV1.  I'm going to replace it because IL2 and DCS are such terrific VR experiences.

My preferred upgrade for MSFS2020?  A nice big 4k screen.:salute:     

Algy-Lacey
1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

Hi Algy, sorry for not replying earlier.

My good old Rift CV1 is powered by an ancient i7 3930k overclocked to 4.6Ghz with hyperthreading disabled,  24gigs of DDR3 and an RTX2070.  I run MSFS2020 with OpenComposite as for me it gives a much better performance than SteamVR.  Just like in IL2:).

Hi @DD_Arthur (hey, it works!) that's understandable what with Christmas and everything! I was only posting at this time because my collection of PC parts are almost all there but I'm at the point of choosing which graphics card to buy. And then MSFS 2020 VR update came out.

I've decided that I'll stick with my Rift CV1 for now as it means I don't need a cutting edge graphics card, I found that my i5 6600k and GTX 1060 6Gb ran IL-2 in VR just about, but having heard that you lose fps in multiplayer I thought I'd better upgrade. My house is out in the countryside and the internet connection is so bad I didn't even bother trying IL-2 multiplayer and wouldn't be able to fly MSFS 2020 either, but my live-in landlord agreed to upgrade to a fast connection in the new year so, what with my favourite ride the Spitfire MkXIV coming out soon, I'm rubbing my hands together with anticipation! :dance:

It's good to read that in small light aircraft the experience is enjoyable in MSFS 2020. I don't want to be flying over cities to crowded airports, but rather cruising around my local area (dartmoor) seeing if I can make out landmarks. I'm a wannabe glider pilot and I think MSFS 2020 models air currents, lift and sink, I'm not sure how well thermals are represented but I'm looking forward to trying it. Does MSFS 2020 come with a glider (sailplane) out of the box? I used to fly a great gliding sim called Condor, but the graphics are oldschool (read: poor).

I'm thinking of a second PC update late 2021, by then the RTX 3080ti will be out and hopefully affordable and I will get a Valve Index headset or a Reverb G2.

Cheers!

Algy

DD_Arthur
16 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

It's good to read that in small light aircraft the experience is enjoyable in MSFS 2020. I don't want to be flying over cities to crowded airports, but rather cruising around my local area (dartmoor) seeing if I can make out landmarks. I'm a wannabe glider pilot and I think MSFS 2020 models air currents, lift and sink, I'm not sure how well thermals are represented but I'm looking forward to trying it. Does MSFS 2020 come with a glider (sailplane) out of the box? I used to fly a great gliding sim called Condor, but the graphics are oldschool (read: poor).

You're on Dartmoor?  I live just outside Sidmouth:bye:.

Here's a quick twenty minute blast around the Shire for you - take off is from Exeter heading west, turning hard left over Sandygate roundabout and follow the M5 south over the Exe and then follow the A38 up over Haldon at the racecourse. Then down over Chudleigh and turn hard left for Bovey where I pick up the road for Hay Tor, get lost in cloud and head north to pick up the A30 at Okehampton for a low level blast eastwards back to Exeter for a very dodgy landing.

No gliders in MSFS2020 yet but they are planned. :salute:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Algy-Lacey

Nice one @DD_Arthur thanks for that.

Unfortunately my housemate is hogging all the bandwidth on our slow internet so I haven't yet been able to watch the video!

I found that gliding in the Condor simulator was great fun. Different from powered flight which can be a bit boring for me, unless there are Air Combat manoevres and 1500hp V12's! When soaring you are constantly in tune with the air and landscape around you, gliding at optimal descent rate your right wing dips and you pick up the thermal that will take you above and beyond the next ridge, as you approach the ridge the variometer (instrument measuring lift / sink) goes crazy and you find that the prevailing westerly wind is creating ridge lift for miles... with surplus lift you try some mild aerobatics and then gain enough height on the wave lift after the ridge to get you home. I've tried to describe it but it needs to be experienced... very immersive!

Sidmouth is east of Exeter, not far then. I'll send you a PM.

People that are saying that MS2020 is unable in VR obviously haven't tried it or haven't a clue how to set their PC's up for optimum performance.

I have an i7 / 1080ti / G2 setup and it's perfectly usable.

• Like 1
1PL-Husar-1Esk
33 minutes ago, Georgio said:

People that are saying that MS2020 is unable in VR obviously haven't tried it or haven't a clue how to set their PC's up for optimum performance.

I have an i7 / 1080ti / G2 setup and it's perfectly usable.

You must be kidding.  It is working but far from perfection. 30 fps outside big cities with low to medium or off  graphics options and settings  ,undersampling to 60 % and reprojection. Perfect gameplay !

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk

I keep running into issues , don't know if they are self imposed or not - probably are.

Today all of a sudden my cockpit instruments in VR are flashing pink. Only there, not on terrain or rest of plane.

Did an uninstall and am re-installing the game now. This will make the fourth time I have done this for various reasons.

Hoping this takes care of it, all was fine yesterday but this morning I went in and made some changes to windows per some dude's optimization guide.

I think I have undone those changes I made.

Algy-Lacey

@dburne let us know when you get it running smoothly again.

I'd like to see how your top end rig and RTX 3090 fares with MSFS 2020 compared to DD_Arthur's old rig and RTX 2070. I know that you're running different headsets, but it would still be interesting.

Cheers,

Algy

1 hour ago, Algy-Lacey said:

@dburne let us know when you get it running smoothly again.

I'd like to see how your top end rig and RTX 3090 fares with MSFS 2020 compared to DD_Arthur's old rig and RTX 2070. I know that you're running different headsets, but it would still be interesting.

Cheers,

Algy

I got it figured out little while ago. I am an idiot. I had apparently at some point assigned cockpit lights toggle to my pinky switch forward on my Warthog Throttle.

Turns out I had that switch unknowingly moved forward, and the flashing light in the cockpit and weird clicking sound, was that switch in that position causing the lights to toggle on and off quickly and repeatedly!. All day I fretted with this, even did an uninstall and re-install of the game.

Ok so far I am pretty pleased with MSFS 2020 in VR. I run my Reverb G2 at 60% resolution in the game, and also use OpenXR Developer Tool for Windows Mixed Reality.

This allows for smoother performance for me, I believe it interjects two projected frames per one real frame. 

The sim is gorgeous no doubt. But it is certainly a bit of a beast to run in VR.

• Like 1
unlikely_spider
4 minutes ago, dburne said:

I got it figured out little while ago. I am an idiot. I had apparently at some point assigned cockpit lights toggle to my pinky switch forward on my Warthog Throttle.

Turns out I had that switch unknowingly moved forward, and the flashing light in the cockpit and weird clicking sound, was that switch in that position causing the lights to toggle on and off quickly and repeatedly!. All day I fretted with this, even did an uninstall and re-install of the game.

Ok so far I am pretty pleased with MSFS 2020 in VR. I run my Reverb G2 at 60% resolution in the game, and also use OpenXR Developer Tool for Windows Mixed Reality.

This allows for smoother performance for me, I believe it interjects two projected frames per one real frame. 

The sim is gorgeous no doubt. But it is certainly a bit of a beast to run in VR.

Do you run 100% resolution in OpenVR and just lower the res in the MSFS options?

8 minutes ago, dburne said:

i have experimented with the motion reprojection setting in OpenXR - it seems weird to me - i notice a "shifting" of the edges of every object. do you notice that too? maybe it's something else entirely

1 hour ago, QB.Creep said:

i have experimented with the motion reprojection setting in OpenXR - it seems weird to me - i notice a "shifting" of the edges of every object. do you notice that too? maybe it's something else entirely

Hmm not can't say I have noticed a shifting of objects. There are some graphic issues with the prop much like happens in other flight sims in VR.

But for the smoothness I get I will take that trade off.

I just set "use the latest preview OpenXR runtime" to on, and set Motion Reprojection to auto. 

DD_Arthur
2 hours ago, dburne said:

I am an idiot. 

Don’t worry. I’ve just discovered that the VR update switched off the live Bing map data to my game. I’ve spent this week thinking   ‘Okay, VR works well but it sure is a bare-assed world below’ Doh!😲.   I think they’ve done a really good job on this. Sometime in late January we’ll be getting another big visuals update - this time for the UK - so I’m expecting some tweaks to VR too.  I have to say that for me and my system this performs just as well as DCS in VR and perhaps exceeds it. It certainly looks better.

• Like 2
335th_GRFirdimigdi
16 hours ago, Georgio said:

perfectly usable

It is indeed perfectly "usable" as long as you compromise and either sacrifice smoothness for eye-candy or vice versa. I opted for the latter path and just cranked it up so it looks pretty since I wasn't gaining much by lowering the settings - a fact that tells me they'll definitely have further optimizations coming in for this at some point for VR. The one single Windows/GPU setting that had an effect in my case was disabling the "new" GPU scheduling option; with it enabled I was getting very high frametimes on the main thread (also indicated in the devtools overlay with 'limited by mainthread').

8 hours ago, dburne said:

There are some graphic issues with the prop much like happens in other flight sims in VR.

Try this out, it's pretty easy to copy over to any of the existing prop planes. It seemed to help out with prop-induced reprojection artifacts:

https://flightsim.to/file/3412/10-propeller-mods-for-the-fs2020-standard-edition

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Firdimigdi said:

It is indeed perfectly "usable" as long as you compromise and either sacrifice smoothness for eye-candy or vice versa. I opted for the latter path and just cranked it up so it looks pretty since I wasn't gaining much by lowering the settings - a fact that tells me they'll definitely have further optimizations coming in for this at some point for VR. The one single Windows/GPU setting that had an effect in my case was disabling the "new" GPU scheduling option; with it enabled I was getting very high frametimes on the main thread (also indicated in the devtools overlay with 'limited by mainthread').

Try this out, it's pretty easy to copy over to any of the existing prop planes. It seemed to help out with prop-induced reprojection artifacts:

https://flightsim.to/file/3412/10-propeller-mods-for-the-fs2020-standard-edition

Thanks I may check that out.

Yeah the sim is definitely gorgeous. And so far all I have done is some of the training in the 152.

Georgio

If you want a real treat fly round the lake district, for some reason it seems more detailed than anywhere else.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Wolf8312
On 12/28/2020 at 4:07 PM, Firdimigdi said:

It doesn't matter as much as it would in a combat sim tbh. What it needs though is some sort of color adjustment settings for VR.

Thats actually a good point that I never considered. Alot of bad performance in VR only really starts to grate in combat situations and just flying around with no need for additional assets would probably entail a pretty smooth experience. Did the MS devs make the same mistakes as DCS and GB (in VR hindsight of course)  or will this sim utilize my CPU properly?

Tempted to give it a try (well spend alot of money on it) but I just kinda worry it will accentuate the graphical flaws of DCS and GB's! There's also the matter of having yet another flight sim on my system and I don't think I can have all three on my SSD. Not sure how long a game like that would hold my attention without combat either.

I could learn to fly an airliner I suppose but I've learned from DCS that unless you actually study and understand the systems you are using one is just kidding himself that he has actually learned something because all you are really doing is memorizing a series of buttons. 

Go back to the plane after a month or so and because you don't really understand what those buttons actually do, you will have invariably forgotten how to fly! But I probably should get it, if for no other reason than it is inevitable I will do so at some point anyway! Poor download speeds apparently though for those of us who can't get it on steam!

335th_GRFirdimigdi
14 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

Tempted to give it a try (well spend alot of money on it)

For what it's worth I got the standard edition for 3 months with the xbox gamepass gold for €1 - plenty of time to evaluate and decide if one wants to keep it just for cruising around enjoying the eyecandy.

CfC=76SQN-FatherTed
On 12/28/2020 at 8:24 PM, Algy-Lacey said:

I'm a wannabe glider pilot and I think MSFS 2020 models air currents, lift and sink, I'm not sure how well thermals are represented but I'm looking forward to trying it. Does MSFS 2020 come with a glider (sailplane) out of the box? I used to fly a great gliding sim called Condor, but the graphics are oldschool (read: poor).

Off topic - but have you tried Condor 2?  A long, long time ago I did some RL gliding and so was intrigued by Condor, but found the basic graphics off-putting, and I was not motivated enough to try the second iteration (there's only so much virtual flying I can do before I feel the need to shoot at someone), but it's lurking there.

• Like 1
Algy-Lacey

@=CfC=FatherTed I do remember seeing somewhere that there was to be a Condor version 2 but have never seen so much as a screenshot, I will google search it and see what I can find. Thanks for the prompt!

If air currents in MSFS 2020 are modelled well enough I don't see why it won't have the makings of a fantastic glider simulator.

Wolf8312
On 12/30/2020 at 4:43 PM, Firdimigdi said:

Thanks will get on that when I finally finish downloading (I caved). Would have thought the microsoft devs would have anticipated prop artifacts and taken preemptive action! I guess they don't have much VR experience with DCS/GB! One of the biggest recent leap forwards in VR has been getting rid of prop artifacts that thereby allows one to fly using motion smoothing. Hopefully though such a big company will end up bringing its own innovations to the field.

Wolf8312

I ended up getting the standard edition. From what you guys have seen so far do you think I should have just got the deluxe? Kinda regretting it now but I think I can just unlock it right? Mind I didn't get it cause with DCS, the last thing I really need is more planes to learn/fly!

Edited by Wolf8312
335th_GRFirdimigdi
22 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

From what you guys have seen so far do you think I should have just got the deluxe?

Only if you wanted the stuff it adds. IMO the main focal point of this sim is being able to fly anywhere on the planet, just make sure in the marketplace in-sim to download the available (free) world updates.

None of the planes it offers, in any version, really appeal to me at all; I usually just rove around with whatever offers the best visibility for the height I'll be flying at.

Edited by Firdimigdi
Wolf8312
16 minutes ago, Firdimigdi said:

Only if you wanted the stuff it adds. IMO the main focal point of this sim is being able to fly anywhere on the planet, just make sure in the marketplace in-sim to download the available (free) world updates.

None of the planes it offers, in any version, really appeal to me at all; I usually just rove around with whatever offers the best visibility for the height I'll be flying at.

Oh gawd not more downloads 24 hours I've been at it now and 21G still to go!

Yeah thats the plan, I mainly want to fly around places of interest!

Is it really not all that as a flight sim module-wise in comparison to say DCS? Not really sure what to expect to be honest but the simshaker/buttkicker combo combined with the right chair and those graphics should make it pretty incredible whatever happens. I didn't go for the full package mainly cause I doubt if without combat I will use it much more for as you yourself described, but who knows. I've read alot of good reviews so maybe the real meat and bones is in learning how to fly the jets and things, and maybe I would get really into that if I applied myself. Mind I don't have a yoke!

dburne
1 hour ago, Wolf8312 said:

Oh gawd not more downloads 24 hours I've been at it now and 21G still to go!

Yeah thats the plan, I mainly want to fly around places of interest!

Is it really not all that as a flight sim module-wise in comparison to say DCS? Not really sure what to expect to be honest but the simshaker/buttkicker combo combined with the right chair and those graphics should make it pretty incredible whatever happens. I didn't go for the full package mainly cause I doubt if without combat I will use it much more for as you yourself described, but who knows. I've read alot of good reviews so maybe the real meat and bones is in learning how to fly the jets and things, and maybe I would get really into that if I applied myself. Mind I don't have a yoke!

It can be pretty alluring, sometimes a nice relaxing flight enjoying the scenery and weather can be very enjoyable.

Wolf8312
3 minutes ago, dburne said:

5 minutes ago, dburne said:

It can be pretty alluring, sometimes a nice relaxing flight enjoying the scenery and weather can be very enjoyable.

But you're not into civillian aviation yourself Dburne? I'm kinda interested in what the attraction is for the kind of simmer who (once having learned how to fly) will fly to America or something crazy on a flightsim! Even in combat missions in GB, for myself it is the lack of a GPS and navigation which keeps me interested for the duration of the flight. Well I guess we'll see!

dburne
6 minutes ago, Wolf8312 said:

But you're not into civillian aviation yourself Dburne? I'm kinda interested in what the attraction is for the kind of simmer who (once having learned how to fly) will fly to America or something crazy on a flightsim! Even in combat missions in GB, for myself it is the lack of a GPS and navigation which keeps me interested for the duration of the flight. Well I guess we'll see!

I had lots of fun with FSX back in it's heyday.

But no civilian sims are not my main attraction, combat flight sims are. But I sure am enjoying MSFS 2020 for what it does offer though.

For now the time I have been spending in it is just flying around to nearby states/.airports in the 172 from where I live.

Back on my combat sims today though getting my new controllers all set up the way I want for them.