Reinforced concrete Spitfire on Wol

Hello Guys and Girls

I've experienced a strange fact on Wol in a 20.12.2020 - 21:37 sortie.... maybe anyone can explain to me.

I dove in a G14 over a Spitfire on the deck at 700 Kph and , trying to align the gunsight on him, I misjudged the distance hitting him at this crazy speed....consequences are pretty obvious I'm dead in many tiny pieces together my aircraft....but the Spitfire continued his flight as if nothing had happened. This sounds a little bit crazy to me. Unfortunately I was'nt recording so I cannot analyze better the fact. In Wol stat sortie log section nothing was recorded just damage-damage - wounded - died without any other played involved.

so anyone have an idea....

apologize in advance if I post it in the wrong section

good flights

Edited by ITAF_Gerry_Lil_Rocket

It's the APS modification against ramming attacks. It's locked on most servers as it was only in operational use in one squadron in late April '44. It worked without flaws, but was discontinued after the war as ramming attacks were to seldom to justify the costs.

Here's a video of the prototype:

GracefulConcreteDipper-size_restricted.g

• Haha 2
20 minutes ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

It's the APS modification against ramming attacks. It's locked on most servers as it was only in operational use in one squadron in late April '44. It worked without flaws, but was discontinued after the war as ramming attacks were to seldom to justify the costs.

Here's a video of the prototype:

GracefulConcreteDipper-size_restricted.g

I think they were considering to modify some of the Sea Furys with it in Korea War but the sea water damaged the coating?

lol guys...

45 minutes ago, ITAF_Gerry_Lil_Rocket said:

Hello Guys and Girls

I've experienced a strange fact on Wol in a 20.12.2020 - 21:37 sortie.... maybe anyone can explain to me.

I dove in a G14 over a Spitfire on the deck at 700 Kph and , trying to align the gunsight on him, I misjudged the distance hitting him at this crazy speed....consequences are pretty obvious I'm dead in many tiny pieces together my aircraft....but the Spitfire continued his flight as if nothing had happened. This sounds a little bit crazy to me. Unfortunately I was'nt recording so I cannot analyze better the fact. In Wol stat sortie log section nothing was recorded just damage-damage - wounded - died without any other played invoved.

apologize in advance in I post it in the wrong section

good flights

@ITAF_Gerry_Lil_Rocket

In all seriousness, it sounds to me like a bad connection with the other player on the server. If the server didn't detect the player in the stats yet caused your aircraft such damage, probably there is either some packet loss or you were so close when you did overshoot that you were killed by debris.

Either way, its a rare event but this kind of unpredictable thing tends to happen when two players are geographically far apart and/or packet loss is occurring.

The only mitigation I'm aware you can do is to ensure your own data transfer / packets are optimised in size, there is a guide on the Combat Box website (see link below) to tweak this, just need to replace the Combat Box IP address with the one for WoL... guide can be found in link under 'Network issues'.

https://combatbox.net/en/info/

Hope that info helps somewhat.

1 hour ago, ITAF_Gerry_Lil_Rocket said:

Hello Guys and Girls

I dove in a G14 over a Spitfire on the deck at 700 Kph and , trying to align the gunsight on him, I misjudged the distance hitting him at this crazy speed....consequences are pretty obvious I'm dead in many tiny pieces together my aircraft....but the Spitfire continued his flight as if nothing had happened. This sounds a little bit crazy to me. Unfortunately I was'nt recording so I cannot analyze better the fact. In Wol stat sortie log section nothing was recorded just damage-damage - wounded - died without any other played invoved.

apologize in advance in I post it in the wrong section

good flights

This happened to me when shooting a Bf109 a couple of months ago. I hit him with several seconds of sustained fire (no kidding) and he showed no damage. I also got the "Outdated hit data" warning at the same time. It's very likely that a bad connection caused this issue with the fellow I was flying against and is likely the cause of this weirdness as well.

One network engineer I know told me that it's a miracle that online gaming works at all despite all of the ways that it can go wrong. I'll accept the miracle and put up with the days where it goes weird.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

One network engineer I know told me that it's a miracle that online gaming works at all despite all of the ways that it can go wrong.

He's absolutely right.

You know when you see someone miss at a deflection shot and all those rounds continue their merry way until gravity has its way with them? Well that's pretty much how it goes with UDP packet streams more often than you'd expect -  only they're a smidgen safer for by-standers.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

One network engineer I know told me that it's a miracle that online gaming works at all despite all of the ways that it can go wrong. I'll accept the miracle and put up with the days where it goes weird.

No kidding.

I'm a mechanical engineer by trade but work in a software and electronics company. As far as in concerned electricity is magic so it took me ten years on the job to understand the voodoo witchcraft that the software guys were talking about..... I swear that the language the networking networking guys are speaking is some dark Eldrich incantation to the old gods....I gave up trying to understand a while ago....networking is hard, we can't even make reliable communication over a couple hundred meters of wire connected switches let alone the miracle of the internet and low latency gaming..

Artifacts such as OP's experience above are few enough to still be utterly amazed.

• Haha 2