Simple tool to check your six

Having the same problem as QB.Pirahna in  DCS.  Use auto function in 1.6b and if I set any rotation angle at all, I get bumped out of the plane the first time I look to the rear.  With no rotation angle it leaves me in the cockpit. Also have start up issues with DCS where the  initial load screen is miles from center and I have to "find" it somewhere near my feet.  Will try to make sure I have "stage" centered in SteanVR Beta window.  Not the same problems in IL2 it seems.

Grateful for any advice.

Cheers!

I can confirm in DCS, start screen will begin very low. Also, when using snap turn, this throws the view several feet above the plane. It is happening even after recalibrating for large view in Steam settings, as well as using the Pimax setup tool to reconfigure the space. This is also happening in War Thunder. It is not happening in Il2, so I haven't been complaining. :)

Hi,

Firstly, many thanks for sharing this fantastic tool to the community! Secondly, I'd like to make change request if I could?

Can you please allow the ability to map the left\right snap turn to a keyboard key?

The reason for this is I have flappy paddles on my throttle which I don't use. I can however, use Joy2Key to make the flappy paddles effectively press keyboard keys, which I could then map to this fantastic tool's left\right snap turn. So flappy paddle held left will snap left and flappy paddle held right will snap right. This would make me very happy.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, JG6_BigglesCDN said:

Having the same problem as QB.Pirahna in  DCS.  Use auto function in 1.6b and if I set any rotation angle at all, I get bumped out of the plane the first time I look to the rear.  With no rotation angle it leaves me in the cockpit. Also have start up issues with DCS where the  initial load screen is miles from center and I have to "find" it somewhere near my feet.  Will try to make sure I have "stage" centered in SteanVR Beta window.  Not the same problems in IL2 it seems.

Grateful for any advice.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, SCG_redcloud111 said:

I can confirm in DCS, start screen will begin very low. Also, when using snap turn, this throws the view several feet above the plane. It is happening even after recalibrating for large view in Steam settings, as well as using the Pimax setup tool to reconfigure the space. This is also happening in War Thunder. It is not happening in Il2, so I haven't been complaining. :)

DCS seems to behave different on different VR devices (and even different on the same devices sometimes). I'm currently working on VRNS v2 which will have some configuration options you can fiddle with that might help with these issues. Let's see what comes out of this...

51 minutes ago, [=PzG=]-Ramulon said:

Hi,

Firstly, many thanks for sharing this fantastic tool to the community! Secondly, I'd like to make change request if I could?

Can you please allow the ability to map the left\right snap turn to a keyboard key?

The reason for this is I have flappy paddles on my throttle which I don't use. I can however, use Joy2Key to make the flappy paddles effectively press keyboard keys, which I could then map to this fantastic tool's left\right snap turn. So flappy paddle held left will snap left and flappy paddle held right will snap right. This would make me very happy.

Thanks.

If the flappy paddles work like a usual joystick/HOTAS buttons you should be able to use them directly in VRNeckSafer. In VRNS v2 you will be able to use a different Joystick/HOTAS for each button. Keyboard keys are currently not planned... maybe later. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, J2_NobiWan said:

If the flappy paddles work like a usual joystick/HOTAS buttons you should be able to use them directly in VRNeckSafer. In VRNS v2 you will be able to use a different Joystick/HOTAS for each button. Keyboard keys are currently not planned... maybe later. :)

The flappy paddles register as an axis (meant for rudder I suspect) so no button unfortunately.

39 minutes ago, [=PzG=]-Ramulon said:

The flappy paddles register as an axis (meant for rudder I suspect) so no button unfortunately.

Ah, I see... In that case you should be able to map the axis to a button with freepie and vjoy.

On 1/24/2021 at 8:06 PM, J2_NobiWan said:

On 1/24/2021 at 8:06 PM, J2_NobiWan said:

Seems like the different flavors off VR are still having all their own little mysteries, with WMR giving me the most headaches currently...

Hard to debug, since I only have access to my Rift-S. However, here is a shot in the dark: 

https://gitlab.com/NobiWan/vrnecksafer/-/blob/master/VRNeckSafer/Release/VRNeckSaferV16b.zip

This version does not try to start SteamVR on its own and should be started after WMR or even IL-2.

Please let me know if it helps, even though I'm not too optimistic.

Hi J2_NobiWan, tried new version V16b and now it works.

Thanks a lot!

• Like 1

Updated first post:

Update v2.0:

new features/changes:
+ seperate joysticks for each button
+ modifiers
+ several steps for autorotate
+ buttons can be scanned/recognized
+ buttons can be inverted
+ buttons can toggle
+ More than one Hold button (e.g. for zooming or to enable/disable autorotation with a toggle button)
+ only a single instance allowed to run
+ start minimized option
+ minimize to tray option
+ config file can be given as parameter (VRNeckSafer.exe your_config_file)
+ options to fiddle with if things are not working as expected:
       - force seated/standing mode
       - position compensation
       - app mode can be "Background" (requires SteamVR to already run) or "Overlay" (starts SteamVR on its own)

Let me know if anything is unclear or not working as expected...

Cheers,

J2_NobiWan

• Thanks 4

Double checked, it's in the zip file. Might be that your AV scanner is hiding it from you... the old annoyance.🙄

No Idea how to prevent that...

edit: strange, totalvirus shows 0/70 detections. So there should be no false alarm....

Edited by J2_NobiWan

This tool looks promising, but I wish we could use keyboard bindings as well.

And I wonder if it works only with SteamVR since I fly the other sim without, just with Oculus running as SteamVR literally kills the performance there.

i'm getting offset to the right when ever i turn left , no offset is set, i have centered, vr and set up ... it happens with autorotate or manual rotation, happens on 2.01, in the other sim

Edited by dreamingbadger

Sorry if I missed this in the thread before. I use a cheapo Thrustmaster X as my throttle with two nice paddles at the back which I use the old school way with Driver4VR  and OVR method. Unfortunatly they are registered as axis, not buttons. Is this something planned for the future? Thanks

Edited by -=No.66=-GetSaltyBrah
4 hours ago, dreamingbadger said:

i'm getting offset to the right when ever i turn left , no offset is set, i have centered, vr and set up ... it happens with autorotate or manual rotation, happens on 2.01, in the other sim

2 hours ago, SvAF/F16_Goblin said:

The rotation don't work properly for me in the new version.
When I turn the offset is different for right and left side.

Had to go back to version 1.6 which works excellent in both IL-2 and DCS for me.

Yes, I can confirm that something went wrong for DCS, sorry about that. Will look into it...

52 minutes ago, -=No.66=-GetSaltyBrah said:

Sorry if I missed this in the thread before. I use a cheapo Thrustmaster X as my throttle with two nice paddles at the back which I use the old school way with Driver4VR  and OVR method. Unfortunatly they are registered as axis, not buttons. Is this something planned for the future? Thanks

Nothing planned for now. Maybe later...

But you can map the axis to virtual buttons with freepie and vjoy.

Edited by J2_NobiWan
5 hours ago, dreamingbadger said:

3 hours ago, SvAF/F16_Goblin said:

The rotation don't work properly for me in the new version.
When I turn the offset is different for right and left side.

Had to go back to version 1.6 which works excellent in both IL-2 and DCS for me.

Hotfix is out, thanks for reporting!

Let me know if there are more problems.

• Like 1
On 2/6/2021 at 10:49 AM, shaun57 said:

Many thanks Nobiwan, I'll try the new version in DCS later.

Do you want to post your zip in the DCS forum thread or shall I point them to your Gitlab ?

I will make an "official" post there, once I am sure that everything is working. But of course you can link to the gitlab zip (v2.02) if you like to. :)

55 minutes ago, dreamingbadger said:

awesome i will check it out and report back

@J2_NobiWan yep thats working a treat!

35 minutes ago, SCG_redcloud111 said:

Just tested 2.0. All settings I used working: snap turn, autorotate, hold for left and right. Great work!

Great! Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

• Like 1

Great work @J2_NobiWan

Unfortunately its still the same issue in DCS for me.. both button mode and auto rotate mode.   tried the forced seated vs standing, compensation, etc.. no go.. still ends up reversed and behind.

VR Index, seated mode.

Thank you for your continued work on this app! 

before.thumb.png.60e78e42fea8dc5d6c0740ed100c5ccf.pngafter.thumb.png.110495c253270cb88487ac62582634cc.png

Ah, that's a pity...

When you start only SteamVR, does the arrow on the ground point forward?

Did you try standing mode on your Index (not in VRNS but the Index setup)?

Edited by J2_NobiWan

I did a calibrate routine for standing mode (around your v1.6) and tested... no luck, same result.

This is my view in SteamVR using the desktop VRView mode... (right eye perspective)

image.thumb.png.5ec7d379e72928e8414fd64f1bb435e8.png

DCS: using v2.02 now (switched from 1.6). This works even better. 

I like the fact that you can use a modifier for the button settings!

I also like the "hold' buttons for autorotation - why 4? purpose?

Thanks NobiWan!

4 hours ago, ftordeur said:

DCS: using v2.02 now (switched from 1.6). This works even better. 

I like the fact that you can use a modifier for the button settings!

I also like the "hold' buttons for autorotation - why 4? purpose?

Thanks NobiWan!

Thats good to hear! :) Well, I want to stop autorotation during zoom and with 2 zoom levels thats 2 buttons already. In addition to that I want to be able to generally disable autorotation. I'm doing that with a third button (with the toggle option). The 4th button is a spare... 😄

J2_NobiWan:

Thank you again for this wonderful piece of software. In the old version I got offsett left/right when looking at he tail, but the update solved all issues! I now look 'straight' back at my own tail. It works.

There is one downside, I killed J2_Bidu and shot up J2_Drookasi. He ran for home smoking. Sorry about that... (They should have flown for the Kaiser, really..)

J5_Winkelmann.

• Haha 1