Jump to content

Simple tool to check your six


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, c6_lefuneste said:

Hello, my experience with DCS is you have to do reset and VR view recenter in the same time, from DCS. I never achieved to have no vertical offset when pressing the button recenter in VRNS and the  recenter the view in DCS (or vice versa). It works only for me if both actions are done from DCS in same time.

 

Yes, I have the DCS recenter and VRNeck reset mapped to the same button...  I even had tried using the steamvr reset seated position just before as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@J2_NobiWan Would you please be able to add a couple of features:

 

- if the code is already running could you make sure another instance isn't launched ?

- can you  provide an option to minimise to the task tray, and launch minimised please?

 

Many thanks 

Stuart 

Edited by dreamingbadger
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, J2_NobiWan said:

 

This is planned for v2.0. :)Together with buttons on seperate joysticks. And more options for configuration... But it will take a while. Would like to get this offset/recenter nuisance nailed first.

 

Great news!  What would be really really amazing, would be the ability to just multiply the rotation angle on a continuous basis - like in TrackIR - rather than a snap.  So, for example, if we turn our head 30 degrees, we could set it to turn in-cockpit by 45 degrees (or whatever was set).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2021 at 1:28 AM, imacken said:

Great news!  What would be really really amazing, would be the ability to just multiply the rotation angle on a continuous basis - like in TrackIR - rather than a snap.  So, for example, if we turn our head 30 degrees, we could set it to turn in-cockpit by 45 degrees (or whatever was set).

 

The type of request you are making here is notorious for inducing nausea.  What works well in trackIR when moving you head and looking at a fixed screen is very different in VR. It can't hurt to offer it as an option but for most people the snap view as currently implemented will be much better.

Personally, I *thought* I would like the auto function as it's currently implemented but for me found that the manual button press was better.. this puts me "in control" and only uses the functionality when I command it.

 

Kudos again to NobiWan for such an awesome tool!!!!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe, but not everyone feels that way by a long chalk. Anyway, if someone feels nauseous, then the solution is simple. Don’t use it!

Same in VR in general. Games tend to have movement options, either continuous or teleport. Some people feel nauseous just being in VR. Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t provide for those who don’t though. 

Edited by imacken
Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst snap View is very useful, and i have been loving the hell out this  capability since i go the app,  the problem Is in the snap back, and at certain points when you are tracking a target where it moves between the angle of the snap and the angle of the return and you can get a very disorientating series of "Judders" as the view snaps back and forth...

a couple of thoughts on approaches that could be taken there:

 

- a button press to supress the return, enabling a pilot to surpress the return, this would have the advantage of placing that under the pilots control, and so would alleviate any disorientation 

 

- snap to view but progressive return until centered, this would have some of the advantages of both approaches and the disadvantages of both approaches, so the inital view over ones shoulder would be snapped into view, but unless there is a "rapid" (insert degrees per second of rotation value) head movement to return the view front, the offset angle is still maintained until the pilots head is within the offset angle from forward view ... in this way you can maintain track of the target without it snapping back and forth over the offset    

 

-  as above but instead of a snap over the final degrees of rotation, you increase the rotation speed, which might have some of the disorientation issues, but if the view is close enough to the front it might be quite small 

 

I suspect there will be disadvantages/strengths with which ever approach is taken,

 

YMMV not offering legal or scientific or financial or medical advice 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dreamingbadger said:

- a button press to supress the return, enabling a pilot to surpress the return, this would have the advantage of placing that under the pilots control, and so would alleviate any disorientation

Thats what the "freeze" button in v1.6 is for!

 

As has been said before, any (quick) visual rotational motion that is not aligned with a real rotation of your head is a big "nono" causing strong nausea. What the brain has no problem accepting though, are snap motions as used in VRNS.

Based on this I was thinking about maybe using a number of smaller successive  "snaps" for the auto rotation. E.g five steps of 5 deg every 10 deg, resulting in possibly less disorientation...

Not sure though if it is really worth the effort. Just like @TX-ZigratI find myself using the buttons most of the time... 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, J2_NobiWan said:

Thats what the "freeze" button in v1.6 is for!

 

As has been said before, any (quick) visual rotational motion that is not aligned with a real rotation of your head is a big "nono" causing strong nausea. What the brain has no problem accepting though, are snap motions as used in VRNS.

Based on this I was thinking about maybe using a number of smaller successive  "snaps" for the auto rotation. E.g five steps of 5 deg every 10 deg, resulting in possibly less disorientation...

Not sure though if it is really worth the effort. Just like @TX-ZigratI find myself using the buttons most of the time... 🙂

 

I dont use the buttons, mainly because "I'm out of buttons" as i use the "other" sim mostly...  so the auto rotation option is a real "boon" for me. the smaller snaps might work...

 

actually one thing that might help, would be to specify a different device for each button, so currently you have one device selection for all the major button presses, but being able to select a different device for freeze or  left right rotation from reset would be helpful  

Edited by dreamingbadger
a thought
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

it doesn`t work with the new steamVR beta :

1.16.1

 message is: unable to connect to steamVr /OpenVr

 

Necksafer is working again . Can`t say what was wrong here on my system ..after a few times of start problems it is working again

 

 

 

 

Edited by GER_GD
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GER_GD said:

Hello,

it doesn`t work with the new steamVR beta :

1.16.1

 message is: unable to connect to steamVr /OpenVr

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hmm, I'm running steamVR beta 1.16.1 without a problem...?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kotori and I have occasionally had intermittent issues. At one point, his ZOOM button (hat up) caused the head to rotate to one side, even though we both use the AUTOROTATE and no button was assigned for the manual rotation. The same thing happened a few days later to me when I was testing out a button to freeze the autorotate. I spent a couple hours installing and reinstalling, swapping to V1.5 and back to V1.6, and the issue seemed to persist with both versions despite initially . Then it randomly started working again correctly, no idea why. I think the key lesson is to keep trying different things (sometimes even mix it up by trying the same thing, just to see if the computer is paying attention) and eventually it'll work.

 

I was in the middle of testing the button to pause the auto-rotate when it messed up and I'm a bit scared I'll mess it up again. Specifically I want to map the pause button to the same button as my maximum zoom button. If I'm looking back with the autorotate active (past the "rotate" point), then press the pause button, will it stay rotated so I can stay zoomed in on something I'm tracking back there?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2021 at 11:06 PM, TX-Zigrat said:

Personally, I *thought* I would like the auto function as it's currently implemented but for me found that the manual button press was better.. this puts me "in control" and only uses the functionality when I command it.

I set auto rotate at very high limit of my available neck rotation, So I trigger it only when I want it.  Because I'm not turnig my head that far whithout really willing it, and in this case I want always the angle added. But  if you want the help for less angle, you should use the button. The magic of J2_NobiWan is you have both !

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gascan said:

Kotori and I have occasionally had intermittent issues. At one point, his ZOOM button (hat up) caused the head to rotate to one side, even though we both use the AUTOROTATE and no button was assigned for the manual rotation. The same thing happened a few days later to me when I was testing out a button to freeze the autorotate. I spent a couple hours installing and reinstalling, swapping to V1.5 and back to V1.6, and the issue seemed to persist with both versions despite initially . Then it randomly started working again correctly, no idea why. I think the key lesson is to keep trying different things (sometimes even mix it up by trying the same thing, just to see if the computer is paying attention) and eventually it'll work.

 

I was in the middle of testing the button to pause the auto-rotate when it messed up and I'm a bit scared I'll mess it up again. Specifically I want to map the pause button to the same button as my maximum zoom button. If I'm looking back with the autorotate active (past the "rotate" point), then press the pause button, will it stay rotated so I can stay zoomed in on something I'm tracking back there?

 

Good find, this is seems to be an earlier bug that wasn't solved correctly, resulting in a corrupted .cfg file. Should be fixed in the next version.

For now deleting the VRNeckSafer.cfg file and reconfiguring should help.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not have a lot of experience with this tool. I tried out version 1.2 and it was great. However version 1.6 and SteamVR beta 1.16.2 is giving me problems. At first when I ran version 1.6 it automatically started steamVR but that crashed. When I first startup steamVR, ll2 and than Necksaver no crashing.

 

I am using autorotate  (lack of buttons). Have it set at 35 degrees angle, start at 90, end at 80. All I get when Necksaver activates in the cockpit is some flickering images but no shifted view. At a loss here.

 

Any tips welcome.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

I do not have a lot of experience with this tool. I tried out version 1.2 and it was great. However version 1.6 and SteamVR beta 1.16.2 is giving me problems. At first when I ran version 1.6 it automatically started steamVR but that crashed. When I first startup steamVR, ll2 and than Necksaver no crashing.

 

I am using autorotate  (lack of buttons). Have it set at 35 degrees angle, start at 90, end at 80. All I get when Necksaver activates in the cockpit is some flickering images but no shifted view. At a loss here.

 

Any tips welcome.

Check that steamVR space is well calibrated : you must be at center and the triangle on ground must be directly  in front of you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, c6_lefuneste said:

Check that steamVR space is well calibrated : you must be at center and the triangle on ground must be directly  in front of you.

Also set one button for "Reset" in this program, + same button to be reset vr view in IL-2. Then press this at least once on beginning in game. 

 

Sometimes I do not need this step, but mostly I do. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

I tried your suggestions. Went back to non-beta SteamVR No joy. Reset my position in SteamVR and combined center VR view and the reset button in VRNS, no  joy.

 

It is working to some degree because when I turn my head in either direction I see rapidly flashing images. They are flashing so fast I can't make out the image itself. I do wonder if it mayby is my videocarddriver? I am running a 3080 on 461.09?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

Hi all,

 

I tried your suggestions. Went back to non-beta SteamVR No joy. Reset my position in SteamVR and combined center VR view and the reset button in VRNS, no  joy.

 

It is working to some degree because when I turn my head in either direction I see rapidly flashing images. They are flashing so fast I can't make out the image itself. I do wonder if it mayby is my videocarddriver? I am running a 3080 on 461.09?

 

I see that you want to use the auto rotation,  but to find out where the problem lies it would be interesting to know if the rotation with buttons works on your system.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay @J2_NobiWan,

 

I tried it with manual but same thing happens. When I press the button I get a quick flicker. The difference is that sometimes I get no reaction at all. Verry inconsistant I am sorry to say.

I am using a Warthog set and I generally use the target software. I tried it also with and without the target software. No difference.

 

I am baffled as to the why. Because version 1.2 worked beutifully.

Link to post
Share on other sites

VRNeckSafer V1.5 works fine

but

VRNeckSafer V1.6 works! :biggrin:

but...

...this works without all dll included

what are they for?

Newtonsoft.Json.dll

openvr_api.dll

SharpDX.DirectInput.dll

SharpDX.dll

SharpDX.Mathematics

in VRNeckSaferV16 folder ?

Edited by huligan
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much for this! I have been using Driver4VR for awhile now and while I love it, the latest patch made it so that i couldn't type in multiplayer chat without bringing up SteamVR menus and changing settings accidentally lol.

 

I know you said you don't want donations, but you absolutely deserve them. Please set up a donation link. If you don't want to keep the money, buy IL2 content and give it away to friends/family/etc!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

Okay @J2_NobiWan,

 

I tried it with manual but same thing happens. When I press the button I get a quick flicker. The difference is that sometimes I get no reaction at all. Verry inconsistant I am sorry to say.

I am using a Warthog set and I generally use the target software. I tried it also with and without the target software. No difference.

 

I am baffled as to the why. Because version 1.2 worked beutifully.

 

While thinking about this I remembered that @BatSpoggyexperienced similar symptoms:

Maybe his findings (two posts below) with regard to folder location can be helpful for you too?

Edited by J2_NobiWan
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well. I only have a C:drive and have it in it’s own folder. I simply dragged the map file in the zip onto the C:drive. I do not remember if I run it as an administrator. I’ll check that too. 

 

Got it working. I ran the compatability troubleshooter and it set it to windows 8 and it is now working. Odd but who cares, it works!

Edited by [Pb]RedeyeStorm
Solved
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great programme!


I have a small issue in the sense that when I installed it, it worked perfect the first time. Both the snap view and autorotate deliver the requested view and then go back to the normal cockpit view. PERFECT

But when I use it the next time (after a reboot)  the rotation is perfect except that the view is like I'm 2 m above the cockpit and it returns that way straight ahead but 2 m higher.
I found out that the first time the "mode"  (bottom left) says "seated" - the next time the mode has shifted to "standing" - which is why I think the view is above the cockpit,

I have in Windows Mixed reality re-set my seated position and still it says "mode: standing"

 

Is there a way to force the VRNecksafer programme to seated mode?


(I have checked it with version. 1.5 and 1.6)

thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

Well. I only have a C:drive and have it in it’s own folder. I simply dragged the map file in the zip onto the C:drive. I do not remember if I run it as an administrator. I’ll check that too. 

 

Got it working. I ran the compatability troubleshooter and it set it to windows 8 and it is now working. Odd but who cares, it works!

 

Wow, this is really odd! 🥴 Glad it's working now and thanks for reporting your solution!

 

1 hour ago, ftordeur said:

Great programme!


I have a small issue in the sense that when I installed it, it worked perfect the first time. Both the snap view and autorotate deliver the requested view and then go back to the normal cockpit view. PERFECT

But when I use it the next time (after a reboot)  the rotation is perfect except that the view is like I'm 2 m above the cockpit and it returns that way straight ahead but 2 m higher.
I found out that the first time the "mode"  (bottom left) says "seated" - the next time the mode has shifted to "standing" - which is why I think the view is above the cockpit,

I have in Windows Mixed reality re-set my seated position and still it says "mode: standing"

 

Is there a way to force the VRNecksafer programme to seated mode?


(I have checked it with version. 1.5 and 1.6)

thanks

 

Is this with IL2 or DCS? The mode shown in the bottom left is what SteamVR is reporting as the current mode. Seems like this can't be trusted all the time...

I'm currently working an v2.0 and it will have an option to force the mode.

 

20 hours ago, huligan said:

VRNeckSafer V1.5 works fine

but

VRNeckSafer V1.6 works! :biggrin:

but...

...this works without all dll included

what are they for?

Newtonsoft.Json.dll

openvr_api.dll

SharpDX.DirectInput.dll

SharpDX.dll

SharpDX.Mathematics

in VRNeckSaferV16 folder ?

 

The zip version of VRNeckSafer needs to have the included .dll's either in the same directory or somewhere in the library path.

If you have previously installed a different app that has put the same .dll's somewhere into the library path, you might not need to have them in the VRNeckSafer directory.

 

In earlier versions up to v1.5 I used a tool (Fody/Costura) to pack all the required .dll's into the .exe file. So no extra dll files were needed together with the .exe. It seems however that this was at least part of the reasons for the annoying false av alerts. I read that Fody/Costura was used in the past by virus authors and thus its usage was contributing to a program being flaged as malware.

Edited by J2_NobiWan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My problem is with DCS.
my VR headset is HP Reverb G2 - 
I did some tries and If I again reset/recalibrate the VR position in MWR to seated just before starting DCS then the mode shows seated and it works perfectly.

strange

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there anyone here with a Valve Index that has gotten this to work in DCS?  I've tried every tip/technique you all have listed and it will always offset low.  I really really want to be able to use this awesome program, but just can't replicate your luck!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same problem in DCS. Have tried to reset my seated position but it didn't help. When i check six i'm above the plane.

Hopefully someone find a solution. Works great in IL2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22.01.2021 в 20:12, J2_NobiWan сказал:

The zip version of VRNeckSafer needs to have the included .dll's either in the same directory or somewhere in the library path.

If you have previously installed a different app that has put the same .dll's somewhere into the library path, you might not need to have them in the VRNeckSafer directory.

I installed new windows and run VRNeckSafer.exe (1.6) without all dll (copy exe only in new folder) and it works fine😁

I never installed VRNeckSafer.exe , I always use only zip versions

Edited by huligan
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys. 

 

Superb app NobiWan, and thank you for expending your time helping people, too.

 

Took the job of reading all the thread before posting what is happening to me.

 

I use SteamVR with an hp G2 headset, IL-2 Great Batles.

 

I manage to make it work twice. The second time found out that had to start VRNeckSafer before WMR and SteamVR. If not, I can see it working in its little screen but only to flickering the image ingame whenever I move my head over the trigger point or push the button.

 

But now, when I launch VRneckSafer before WMR, the headset can't start. If I shut down VRNeckSafer, it starts normally.

 

Will try to reinstall VRNeckSafer again, see if the problem remains.

Edited by E69_Maquina
Link to post
Share on other sites

@J2_NobiWan I just want to join the chorus of "Thank You" for such a VR game changing mod! 

 

At your request, and to recognize your very unselfish work, I will go ahead and buy a second copy FCII (my son will also be a happy camper when the new WWI a/c start to roll off the assembly line).  Thank you!!  :salute:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, E69_Maquina said:

Nope, tried again with version 1.6

 

Can't launch SteamVR if VRNeckSafer is on.

 

I will be grateful for any suggestion.

 


Have SteamVR on first? My NeckSafer shuts down by itself as soon as WMR and SteamVR are shut down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, E69_Maquina said:

Hi guys. 

 

Superb app NobiWan, and thank you for expending your time helping people, too.

 

Took the job of reading all the thread before posting what is happening to me.

 

I use SteamVR with an hp G2 headset, IL-2 Great Batles.

 

I manage to make it work twice. The second time found out that had to start VRNeckSafer before WMR and SteamVR. If not, I can see it working in its little screen but only to flickering the image ingame whenever I move my head over the trigger point or push the button.

 

But now, when I launch VRneckSafer before WMR, the headset can't start. If I shut down VRNeckSafer, it starts normally.

 

Will try to reinstall VRNeckSafer again, see if the problem remains.

 

Seems like the different flavors off VR are still having all their own little mysteries, with WMR giving me the most headaches currently...

Hard to debug, since I only have access to my Rift-S. However, here is a shot in the dark: 

https://gitlab.com/NobiWan/vrnecksafer/-/blob/master/VRNeckSafer/Release/VRNeckSaferV16b.zip

This version does not try to start SteamVR on its own and should be started after WMR or even IL-2.

Please let me know if it helps, even though I'm not too optimistic.

 

4 hours ago, Varibraun said:

@J2_NobiWan I just want to join the chorus of "Thank You" for such a VR game changing mod! 

 

At your request, and to recognize your very unselfish work, I will go ahead and buy a second copy FCII (my son will also be a happy camper when the new WWI a/c start to roll off the assembly line).  Thank you!!  :salute:

 

Wonderful! Also great that you are keeping the young people interested! :)

 

On 1/22/2021 at 8:43 PM, ftordeur said:

My problem is with DCS.
my VR headset is HP Reverb G2 - 
I did some tries and If I again reset/recalibrate the VR position in MWR to seated just before starting DCS then the mode shows seated and it works perfectly.

strange

 

On 1/23/2021 at 12:00 AM, vrFlyer3 said:

Is there anyone here with a Valve Index that has gotten this to work in DCS?  I've tried every tip/technique you all have listed and it will always offset low.  I really really want to be able to use this awesome program, but just can't replicate your luck!

 

 

On 1/23/2021 at 7:54 AM, QB.Piranha said:

I have the same problem in DCS. Have tried to reset my seated position but it didn't help. When i check six i'm above the plane.

Hopefully someone find a solution. Works great in IL2.

 

Still struggling with DCS and WMR. Same Problem as above, it's running fine on my Rift-S and so it's difficult to debug...  but we will surely get there. 😉

 

Edited by J2_NobiWan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My problem in DCS (and with WMR) with the "standing position"  being used (so a view above the cockpit) is (for me) now solved by always pushing the reset button when I get into a plane. Then it stays in the seated position
Programme now works perfect
Thanks Nobiwan

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoi @J2_NobiWan,

 

I can rapport the same problem as:

On 1/23/2021 at 12:00 AM, vrFlyer3 said:

Is there anyone here with a Valve Index that has gotten this to work in DCS?  I've tried every tip/technique you all have listed and it will always offset low.  I really really want to be able to use this awesome program, but just can't replicate your luck!

 

 

Also using Valve Index and en up beneath the plane as soon as VRNS activates. Great for searching for ground targets though!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...