Simple tool to check your six

I'm still having difficulty with MS threat defender (Win 10). I can get it to download by turning Virus and Threat Detection off and allowing Chrome to download it. I can open the exe and get the cfg file. I see the gui and can set the buttons but as soon as I turn Virus and Threat Detection on it says "threat found" and "Poof" the exe is gone. I tried opening Properties on the exe and checked the "Unblock" box and hit apply. I also set it to run as Admin and tried rebooting. None of the above prevent the "Poof"... exe gone. 

Edited by JG1_Vonrd

Works a charm, using auto mode with a swivel seat, can finally keep feet on the rudders and run them.  Only issue I've encountered is the 8 way hat on the virpil stick will cause a snap to the right when pushed to 0/up for the degrees set for auto snap.  Have it set to trim for elevator and stab trim, probably easier to switch the button over to the throttle.  I'm using reset center in combination with VR center and F1 return to cockpit view with no issues on button 5.

Just updated the first post:

I think I got the centering issues managed now. No recentering of the chaperone/guardian should be needed any more.

By popular demand I also included a feature to define translational offsets. Better use only a few centimeters here...

Still some  AV checker might give false alerts, haven't got an idea how to avoid that.  

Please give it a try and let me know of any issues.

Im particularly interested if the offset issues that some Index user experinced are solved.

Cheers, J2_NobiWan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, J2_NobiWan said:

I think I got the centering issues managed now. No recentering of the chaperone/guardian should be needed any more.

By popular demand I also included a feature to define translational offsets. Better use only a few centimeters here...

Still some  AV checker might give false alerts, haven't got an idea how to avoid that.  

Im particularly interested if the offset issues that some Index user experinced are solved.

Cheers, J2_NobiWan

NobiWan, you're my hero! I'm an Index user with previous offset issues, and while I have only tested the app briefly, it now appears to be working flawlessly.

I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to rework this app so that more people can use it!

On 12/24/2020 at 3:55 PM, JG1_Vonrd said:

I'm still having difficulty with MS threat defender (Win 10). I can get it to download by turning Virus and Threat Detection off and allowing Chrome to download it. I can open the exe and get the cfg file. I see the gui and can set the buttons but as soon as I turn Virus and Threat Detection on it says "threat found" and "Poof" the exe is gone. I tried opening Properties on the exe and checked the "Unblock" box and hit apply. I also set it to run as Admin and tried rebooting. None of the above prevent the "Poof"... exe gone. 

BUMP...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to defeat Threat Detection?

15 minutes ago, JG1_Vonrd said:

BUMP...

I'm not sure if you run the same protection that I do; just the basic protection that comes with Windows 10.

For me, it involved going into Windows Security (for me, it's a shield icon in the shortcut pull-up on the right hand side of the bottom task bar). Then, Virus &Threat Protection (left hand side) --> Protection History (blue type in the middle of the page). When viewing the Protection History I was able to see where the app was blocked, and tell Windows to let it run. Further to that if a blue warning box comes up when you try to run it, click "more info" and it will give you the opportunity to run it despite the warning.

I hope this helps.... I'm really not good at explaining this sort of thing.

7 hours ago, J2_NobiWan said:

Cheers, J2_NobiWan

That was fast ! Thanks a lot. Unfortunately, I won't be able to test it this week end.

You should also post in DCS forum, I think they could use your tool as in Il2, this VR feature is also missing in DCS...

6 hours ago, JG1_Vonrd said:

BUMP...

Vonrd, did you try the latest version? Defender is fine with it on my system...

In any case you could add an exclusion for VRNeckSafer.exe :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-an-exclusion-to-windows-security-811816c0-4dfd-af4a-47e4-c301afe13b26

1 hour ago, MA_Goblin said:

It seems as if the version up for download is different from the one described. The interface is not the same as in post one.

Is it possible to mark it with a version number somehow to know the latest one is used?

I double checked, the downloadable version is the same as the picture in the first post. Maybe some cache thing?

But you are right, I should give them version numbers! Thanks for the input, will update soon.

13 hours ago, J2_NobiWan said:

Just gave it a shot, and wow! I still noticed the center point changed to the location of the base station when I started it up (specifically when I pressed the "rotate" button for the first time, not on starting up the program). However, I simply re-centered my head in IL2 and everything worked. Whatever matrix math wizardry you used worked like a charm, Nobiwan. Rotating the  head left and right stayed centered the way it's supposed to, none of the translation issues I had previously. I did a few skirmishes in quick mission to test it out and trying to follow planes in combat, and I was really impressed.

The only issue I noted was with autorotate to the left. Instead of rotating my head to the left when I looked left, it rotated my head to the right. Looking to the right worked just fine, which was good since I was testing in a Camel. Other than that, I found the autorotate a bit awkward since it jumps. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but I still like the idea of a smooth progressive rotation rather than a big step. I'm probably going to stick with the buttons for a little while.

For a job well done (and rapid changes/fixes): Salute!

On 12/21/2020 at 6:39 AM, Firdimigdi said:

Quick, hide it before the "it's another VR cheat" brigade waltzes in.

I think they do more of a sashay than a waltz,   🤣

This sounds outstanding, can't wait to try it!

30 minutes ago, J2_NobiWan said:

I double checked, the downloadable version is the same as the picture in the first post. Maybe some cache thing?

But you are right, I should give them version numbers! Thanks for the input, will update soon.

Done! :)

27 minutes ago, gascan said:

Just gave it a shot, and wow! I still noticed the center point changed to the location of the base station when I started it up (specifically when I pressed the "rotate" button for the first time, not on starting up the program). However, I simply re-centered my head in IL2 and everything worked. Whatever matrix math wizardry you used worked like a charm, Nobiwan. Rotating the  head left and right stayed centered the way it's supposed to, none of the translation issues I had previously. I did a few skirmishes in quick mission to test it out and trying to follow planes in combat, and I was really impressed.

The only issue I noted was with autorotate to the left. Instead of rotating my head to the left when I looked left, it rotated my head to the right. Looking to the right worked just fine, which was good since I was testing in a Camel. Other than that, I found the autorotate a bit awkward since it jumps. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but I still like the idea of a smooth progressive rotation rather than a big step. I'm probably going to stick with the buttons for a little while.

For a job well done (and rapid changes/fixes): Salute!

Excellent, thats what I was hoping to hear! :)

Re: autorotate:

Did you do the "reset HMD yaw while looking straight ahead" ? It's necessary for autorotate (and translation) to work correctly. I would recommend to use the same button as "default VR view" in IL2.

Hi J2_NobiWan.

Nice little program. Had it working but since last update I always get this message :

This app can't run on your PC

Tried everything in the book (Youtube and Google) and no joy.

Maybe someone can help.

Thanks very much.

Weird, same issue. Files is 0 bytes, no error reported on download?? Window Home issue?

Solved it. I am using firefox. Press CTR+J this opens a separate download history window. VRNeckSafer has for me an exlcamation mark. Right click on the file and I can select ' Permit download'. And Bob's your uncle.

Edited by [Pb]RedeyeStorm
  • Upvote 1

Showed it to my brother Kotori, and he's convinced. I also tried the auto-rotate again, and it worked correctly. No idea why it was going the wrong way, maybe it got confused (or I got confused since I also used the hat switch to look as well during the earlier test).

3 minutes ago, MA_Goblin said:

I have an interesting problem, I have chosen autorotation and no buttons for left and right but my POV UP on th estick activates left rotation despite this.

My settings is as in the attached picture.
bild.png.e08f510407af79869247c9db6712c375.png

Oh, thanks, this is probably a bug... I'll look into it.

For now you could simply assign the left rotation to an unused button...

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, MA_Goblin said:

I have an interesting problem, I have chosen autorotation and no buttons for left and right but my POV UP on th estick activates left rotation despite this.

Only issue I've encountered is the 8 way hat on the virpil stick will cause a snap to the right when pushed to 0/up for the degrees set for auto snap. 

Should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting.

Edited by J2_NobiWan
  • Like 1

Would it be possible to add options for more POV switch positions? I'm currently using POV L and R on my TM t.16000m for trimming.

As it currently plays out, 90 and 270 will adjust trim and look back, while 125 and 225 (preferred binding) will only look back.  
Also how do I buy you a coffee? As a tall guy with back problems this has been a huge improvement in comfort for me.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I just tested it, it works now as expected, the auto rotation is really a top feature ! L/R and Fwd offsets are great also.

But I tested it in DCS and found a strange thing: when it rotates first, it shift the view up and then no rotation are taken into account. That's strange because the OVR rtation is working in DCS as in IL2...

14 hours ago, MilitantPotato said:

Would it be possible to add options for more POV switch positions? I'm currently using POV L and R on my TM t.16000m for trimming.

As it currently plays out, 90 and 270 will adjust trim and look back, while 125 and 225 (preferred binding) will only look back.  
Also how do I buy you a coffee? As a tall guy with back problems this has been a huge improvement in comfort for me.

Personally I prefer the 4 hat directions, because I use the forward position for zoom and I can rotate and zoom at the same time this way.

But I see your point and have created an update to use 8 hat positions. To use it:

1. run VRNeckSafer v1.4 once to update the VRNeckSafer.cfg file
  2. exit VRNeckSafer
  3. open VRNeckSafer.cfg in a text editor
  4. at the line "Use8WayHat" change false to true
  5. safe and exit editor

No other changes. If the "Use8WayHat" remains false VRNeckSafer will act exactly as before.

Cheers, J2_NobiWan

I am getting the following error when I try to run it

Screenshot 2020-12-28 173138.png

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at VRNeckSafer.VRStuff.getHmdYaw()
   at VRNeckSafer.MainForm.loopTimer_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4300.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
VRNeckSafer
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/jsgme_2.6.0/MODS/VR%20Neck%20Saver/VRNeckSafer.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4270.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4084.0 built by: NET48REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
SharpDX.Mathematics
    Assembly Version: 4.2.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/jsgme_2.6.0/MODS/VR%20Neck%20Saver/VRNeckSafer.exe
SharpDX.DirectInput
SharpDX
System.Configuration
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4190.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_B
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Newtonsoft.Json
    Assembly Version: 12.0.0.0
System.Runtime.Serialization
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4250.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Data
    Win32 Version: 4.8.4270.0 built by: NET48REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

5 hours ago, Blackbirdkevini1963 said:

I am getting the following error when I try to run it...

This will happen if VRNeckSafer cannot connect to steamvr/openvr.

Do you have SteamVR runnning? What type of headset are you using?

Maybe you need to update SteamVR to a newer Version like Huligan.

Edited by J2_NobiWan

image.thumb.png.ee5938aec385a77934d771434dfd797c.png

Object reference does not set to an instance to an object

1 час назад, J2_NobiWan сказал:

Do you have SteamVR runnning? What type of headset are you using?

SteamVR  running Oculus Quest2

Edited by huligan
17 minutes ago, huligan said:

Object reference does not set to an instance to an object

SteamVR  running Oculus Quest2

Same problem as above. From your screenshot it looks like SteamVR is not running. Could you try to start the app after SteamVR hast started? I'll add a propper error message in the next version.

Edited by J2_NobiWan

I reinstalled steam VR (1.15.16) and OpenVR adv.

I use an HP Reverb G2 and RTX3090 card

I am running vrnecksafer  1.4 and it doesnt give an error message on running now but buttons on my virpil do not give any head rotation.

I have mapped buttons on throttle hi-hat L/R buttons 11 and 13 which are working ok in virpil config software

I thought I could try just a simple map to keyboard to eliminate any joystick mapping issues but cannot see any keyboard maps for left/right button on your software

Will the utility work in the il2 hanger as then its a bit quicker to test

I am mystified where to go now ????

I selected autorotate and it works really well. Better I think than a button press in any case.

I think it must therefore be something wrong with buttons and mapping with my virpil.

Anyone else tried it with a CM50v3 on a hihat??

Screenshot 2020-12-29 162753.png

Edited by Blackbirdkevini1963
added updated info