Simple tool to check your six

[Pb]RedeyeStorm
On 3/19/2021 at 10:20 AM, J2_NobiWan said:

Yes, this is a known issue unfortunately. The Index behaves somehow different than other VR Sets in DCS. Still investigating this...

Good luck and thanks for your efforts.

ShadowCloak

Hey NobiWan, Thank you so much for this. It's exactly what I have been looking for. I'm using the autorotation with a single line of act=65, de=25, rot=90, LR=0, fwd=5, and it feels so natural, and effortless. I don't understand what magic you used in order to have the view return to center every time, but I can't make it fail, even if I try. I see here that you won't take donations, and prefer we pre-order FC2. Is that Flaming Cliffs 2? I was thinking it was that, or Flying Circus 2. Thanks again! You rock!

• Like 2
J2_NobiWan

Thanks for your feedback ShadowCloak!  Happy you find it useful. :)

And it's Flying Circus Vol 2, of course! 😄👍

• Like 1
RavN_Gora

Great Stuff! Is it possible to scan for a keyboards  shortcuts? I have Warthog with t.a.r.g.e.t. enabled and it is not recognized.  

Thorne

This thing is a li... neck saver. I have neck problems and without it I wouldn't be able to use VR properly. Hats off to you @J2_NobiWan

• Like 2
J2_NobiWan
On 3/22/2021 at 9:08 PM, RavN_Gora said:

Great Stuff! Is it possible to scan for a keyboards  shortcuts? I have Warthog with t.a.r.g.e.t. enabled and it is not recognized.  

I'm surprised that T.A.R.G.E.T isn't recognized. Have to look into this...

No keyboard input planned for now.

• Thanks 1
c6_lefuneste
2 hours ago, J2_NobiWan said:

I'm surprised that T.A.R.G.E.T isn't recognized. Have to look into this...

No keyboard input planned for now.

I'm using target and can confirm thrustmaster combined device is recognized by VR neck safer from the first version.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
huligan

Without SteamVR to use Impossible?

Edited by huligan
Drano

OK I just ran into an odd problem trying to map a common button. I posted about it in the tech forum. Necksafer won't accept keyboard commands, it's looking for the DX buttons from a stick. No problem. My VKB stick can make buttons do stuff I never even thought of so a simple DX button is ezpz. I program the button I've been using to center in IL2 that was the default KP5 that Necksafer doesn't like to DX button 55 that it will work with. No problem there. It worked great with the new mapping. Problem is--in IL2 apparently the button numbers start at 0 so in the mapper it shows as button 54 and will now do nothing! Ain't nothing easy?

So I'm back to using two buttons til I can get this figured out!

J2_NobiWan
16 hours ago, huligan said:

Without SteamVR to use Impossible?

Yes, SteamVR is required.

11 hours ago, Drano said:

OK I just ran into an odd problem trying to map a common button. I posted about it in the tech forum. Necksafer won't accept keyboard commands, it's looking for the DX buttons from a stick. No problem. My VKB stick can make buttons do stuff I never even thought of so a simple DX button is ezpz. I program the button I've been using to center in IL2 that was the default KP5 that Necksafer doesn't like to DX button 55 that it will work with. No problem there. It worked great with the new mapping. Problem is--in IL2 apparently the button numbers start at 0 so in the mapper it shows as button 54 and will now do nothing! Ain't nothing easy?

So I'm back to using two buttons til I can get this figured out!

I probably dont understand the problem correctly, could you elaborate?

Are you using the VKB software to translate the keyboard NP5 button to a joystick button (#55)? 

Or are you using it to translate the VKB joystick button to a keyboard button (NP5)?

In both cases, can't you just configure IL-2 to accept the new button (joystick or keyboard) for the "Default VR View" (in Settings->Key Mapping->Pilot head control)?

RavN_Gora
On 3/25/2021 at 12:48 PM, c6_lefuneste said:

I'm using target and can confirm thrustmaster combined device is recognized by VR neck safer from the first version.

That is strange. In my case is not. Neck safer is working with Warthog as long as target is not enabled any profile. When profile is on then "scan" doesn't work. If you can take a closer look  J2_NobiWan would be great! Thank you very much!

Drano

The problem isn't with NeckSafer at all as far as I can tell. I map a button to any DX button or hat on the stick and NeckSafer accepts it fine and resets. I just can't seem to get IL2 to recenter with anything but the default numpad5. Change it to something else and nothing happens. Change back to numpad5 and it's fine. <shrug>I'm just dealing with two buttons as I had been. It's really not an issue as long as I don't move my head when resetting! Any shot you could add numpad5 to the list of keys that'll work with NeckSafer? 

13 hours ago, J2_NobiWan said:

I probably dont understand the problem correctly, could you elaborate?

Are you using the VKB software to translate the keyboard NP5 button to a joystick button (#55)? 

Or are you using it to translate the VKB joystick button to a keyboard button (NP5)?

In both cases, can't you just configure IL-2 to accept the new button (joystick or keyboard) for the "Default VR View" (in Settings->Key Mapping->Pilot head control)?

• Upvote 1
J2_NobiWan
18 hours ago, RavN_Gora said:

That is strange. In my case is not. Neck safer is working with Warthog as long as target is not enabled any profile. When profile is on then "scan" doesn't work. If you can take a closer look  J2_NobiWan would be great! Thank you very much!

Double checked, VRNS is working fine with TARGET software. The "Thrustmaster combined" device is recognized the same as any other joystic/HOTAS on my system.

Are you sure your TARGET script is running correctly? I had some troubles getting the script to run...

Can you see the  "Thrustmaster combined" button press that  you want to use with VRNS in the game controller properties?

On 3/26/2021 at 3:56 PM, vrFlyer3 said:

Any progress for us poor Index users? 🙂

You are right, I was slacking a bit on that front... :) Back to work!

SCG_Euto

it stopped working for me and my G2 today.

I had an update in windows for my mixed reality today. 

The tool (2.05) still recognizes the buttons I have mapped and higlights them when i press them... but the head doesnt turn anymore.

v1.6 still works tho

Edited by Euto
J2_NobiWan
2 hours ago, Euto said:

The tool (2.05) still recognizes the buttons I have mapped and higlights them when i press them... but the head doesnt turn anymore.

v1.6 still works tho

Strange... Does the issue remain after a clean reboot? In my experience the complete VR zoo sometimes needs to settle down after an update...

If you still have the issue with v2.05 after reboot and v1.6 is working, I would ask you to copy the openvr_api.dll from the 1.6 zip file into the 2.05 directory and report back if v2.05 works with he older dll.

SCG_Euto
24 minutes ago, J2_NobiWan said:

Strange... Does the issue remain after a clean reboot? In my experience the complete VR zoo sometimes needs to settle down after an update...

If you still have the issue with v2.05 after reboot and v1.6 is working, I would ask you to copy the openvr_api.dll from the 1.6 zip file into the 2.05 directory and report back if v2.05 works with he older dll.

i rebooted as requested.

Tried again and it is the same.

I copied that file from 1.6 zipfile to the 2.05 folder.... still the same.

The tool shows that im pressing those buttons (aswell the degree i set in the header) but the head doesn't turn ingame.

atm only 1.6 does work for me ( i havent tested the other versions since i updated from 1.6 to 2.05 like 2 weeks ago and i still had he version in a folder on my PC)

i fixed it:

i found out, that i switched the game mode from auto to forced seated.

Auto option fixed it 

Edited by Euto
  • Like 3
Drano

FYI, I solved my button issue by making a macro in the VKB config, NP5 and HAT1 DN. Now both NS and IL2 have a button they like, I don't have to lose a button and now have a cleaner workflow to get meself centered. Which was the idea all along! I knew there was another way to do it.

• Like 1
Dark_Jak
On 12/20/2020 at 8:51 PM, J2_NobiWan said:

Guys, since a short while I started flying in VR exclusively and soon started to feel some pain in my not so young neck, caused by panically trying to see the guy on my six.

There is a solution to this by using OVR Advanced Settings in combination with some other tools in order to map an angular offset to your viewing angle by pressing a joystick button as shown by @c6_lefuneste and others. This solution however felt a bit complicated and also not perfectly intuitive. I wanted to have the viewing offset only while pressing the button and reset to normal when releasing it. So I created a simple standalone tool VRNeckSafer to do exactly this.

VRNSv205.JPG         VRNSv205b.JPG

How to use it:

Simply choose the two joystick/HOTAS buttons you want to use for left and right offset and the required rotation angle and set the "Reset Button" as shown on the app.
When in the game, press the assigned reset button to calibrate. Thats it. It works with normal SteamVR (no Beta required).

If you prefer the way OVR Advanced Settings is adding up the offset angle with every button click, select the "Accumulative" option.

If you want to move your head position a few centimeters when using snap view (e.g. to look around your seat) use the Translation feature.

Enable the "Autorotation" feature to automatically activate the offset when turning your head over defined activation angles and deactivate when below the corresponding deactivation angle. No joystick buttons required. This can be done in several steps. To temporarily inhibit autorotation use the Hold buttons.

More Info on the autorotation values:

Reveal hidden contents

There is a (very) small explanation coming up when you hover your mouse over the labels on top of the table in the app.

"act" is the turn angle of your head when the extra rotation "rot" is activated. In my example this means when you turn your head more than 60 deg it will add an extra 10 deg. More than 70 deg head movement will add 20 deg extra rotation and so on.

"de" ist the turn angle of your head when an extra rotation angle is beeing deactivated again.

Lets assume you turned your head 85 deg to the right. This will have activated an extra rotation of 30 deg. Now, when turning your head back to to say 75 deg you will still have that 30 deg extra rotation because 75 is more than "de"=71. Only if you reduce your head rotation to less tha 71 deg the extra offset will be reduced to 20 deg and so on. When your head is turned back to the front to less than 51 deg there is no extra extra angle added any more.

"L/R" and "Fwd" are the amounts of cm that your virtual position is shifted Left/Right and Forward, whith respect to the activation/deactivation angles, similar to the rotation.

I believe if you use the values from the pic above you are up for a good start.

Oh, and since I've been asked a few times: please, no donations... preorder FC2 instead! 😉

Here is the link:

VRNeckSaferV205.zip

Old versions:

VRNeckSaferV203.zip

VRNeckSaferV16.zip

Old updates:

Reveal hidden contents

Update v1.1:

I added the option to use a joystick button to reset the HMD Yaw angle. To use the autorotate feature look straight ahead and press that button (or the reset button in the GUI). This will tell the app from which central Yaw position the activation/deactivation angles are measured.  If something is unclear (or not working as supposed) let me know. :)

Sources can be found here: https://gitlab.com/NobiWan/vrnecksafer

Update v1.2:

I think I got the centering issues managed now. No recentering of the chaperone/guardian should be needed any more.

By popular demand I also included a feature to define translational offsets. Better use only a few centimeters here and reset HMD yaw...

Still some  AV checker might give false alerts, haven't got an idea how to avoid that.  

Please give it a try and let me know of any issues.

Im particularly interested if the offset issues that some Index users experinced are solved.

Update v1.3:

Minor bugfix when no button was selected and a beautiful new icon! ZzG46ax.jpg;)

Update v1.4:

Added an option to use diagonal Hat positions.

To use it:

1. run VRNeckSafer v1.4 once to update the VRNeckSafer.cfg file
  2. exit VRNeckSafer v1.4
  3. open VRNeckSafer.cfg in a text editor
  4. at the line "Use8WayHat" change false to true
  5. safe and exit editor

Now you can choose from the 8 directions. 

No need to update if you are fine with the 4 Hat positions

Update v1.5:

Separate rotation angles for snap and autorotation

Update:

Added a link to a zip file with seperated exe and dlls.

The version is the same as the standalone.

If you are experiencing those annoying false av alerts with the standalone exe try this version...

Update v1.6:

Compatibility to other major combat sim. (thanks @c6_lefuneste and @shaun57 for testing)

Added a "temporary freeze" button for autorotation (thanks for the idea @ACG_Mephisto)

I'll stay with the zipped folder this time, the standalone versions gave too much trouble with false av alerts... 🥴 There is no difference in usage.

It's still a good idea to use the same button for HMD yaw reset and the in game "Default VR view"!

Also, better keep the HMD standard orientation (arrow on ground on the SteamVR plains) close to your normal front direction. (the HMD yaw reset function trys to compensate, but big angular differences are problematic)

Update v2.0:

new features/changes:
+ seperate joysticks for each button
+ modifiers
+ several steps for autorotate
+ buttons can be scanned/recognized
+ buttons can be inverted
+ buttons can toggle
+ More than one Hold button (e.g. for zooming or to enable/disable autorotation with a toggle button)
+ only a single instance allowed to run
+ start minimized option
+ minimize to tray option
+ config file can be given as parameter (VRNeckSafer.exe your_config_file)
+ options to fiddle with if things are not working as expected:
       - force seated/standing mode
       - position compensation
       - app mode can be "Background" (requires SteamVR to already run) or "Overlay" (starts SteamVR on its own)

Update v2.01:

minor change: typo fix in GUI and allowed Autorotation with Accumulative mode.

Update v2.02:

hotfix for DCS

Update v2.03:

fix for fwd translation when autorotation to left

Update v2.04:

better default autorot values

fix for validation check of autorot values

fix for hang up if SteamVR is not responding.

Update v2.05:

added fancy diagram to help understand the autorot values (also look for the explanations in the spoiler box above!)

fixed DCS offset bug reintroduced in v2.04 (hopefully)

known issues:
still problems with Valve Index and DCS. (This is next on the list!)

If you were fine with the previous version you can leave the options at their default values. If you had troubles, try changing the three options and if you find a working setting, please post it here!

In the picture above you see my autorotation setting. For me it's now very easy to follow a plane in dogfight, no big offset jumps any more! When not in a dogfight, I disable autorotation with a Hold button (toggled).

As always, I hope this all makes sense... :) 

Cheers, J2_NobiWan

Hello gents. 
NobiWan, do you know if there's any possibility of the NeckSafer work with opencomposite. 
I'm using a Rift S and it works with SteamVR with no problems, but tried out with opencomposite and it doesn't work. As soon as I run the App it automatically opens SteamVR.

Salute... 

• Upvote 1
E69_Chipi
On 3/27/2021 at 5:38 PM, Euto said:

v1.6 still works tho

same issue here. Also with G2

Buttons are recognized, Headset yaw value is detected and displayed, but my head does not turn.

funny thing is that the previous version I was using, v1.6 is still working.

And there is a different launching behavior for between the two versions.

if I launch v1.6 before  WRM and Steam VR, VRNS will start both programs for me and wake the Headset.

if I launch v2.05 before WMR and STEAM VR, it won´t start and i get an error "Unable to connect to Stean VR /Open VR"

EDIT

as in EUTO´s case, changin the game mode from seated to auto solved the problem

Edited by E69_Chipi
  • Like 1
Player_39854
On 3/29/2021 at 11:06 PM, Dark_Jak said:

Hello gents. 
NobiWan, do you know if there's any possibility of the NeckSafer work with opencomposite. 
I'm using a Rift S and it works with SteamVR with no problems, but tried out with opencomposite and it doesn't work. As soon as I run the App it automatically opens SteamVR.

Salute... 

Hi @J2_NobiWan  I would also be interested to know if this works with OpenComposite, as SteamVR is a big hit on performance for me. Thanks

• Like 1
J2_NobiWan
Posted (edited)

On 3/30/2021 at 12:06 AM, Dark_Jak said:

Hello gents. 

Salute... 

9 hours ago, 334th_Biffa said:

Hi @J2_NobiWan  I would also be interested to know if this works with OpenComposite, as SteamVR is a big hit on performance for me. Thanks

OpenComposite doesn't allow to manipulate internal settings (like the orientation of the world) by external apps like VRNS. So, unfortunately we are stuck with SteamVR unless this changes. 

On 3/30/2021 at 11:42 PM, E69_Chipi said:

same issue here. Also with G2

And there is a different launching behavior for between the two versions.

if I launch v1.6 before  WRM and Steam VR, VRNS will start both programs for me and wake the Headset.
if I launch v2.05 before WMR and STEAM VR, it won´t start and i get an error "Unable to connect to Stean VR /Open VR"

Launching behavior depends on the "app mode" setting: 

- "Background" requires SteamVR to already run

- "Overlay" trys to start SteamVR on its own

Edited by J2_NobiWan
  • Upvote 1
Player_39854

Thanks for replying @J2_NobiWan

This will probably invite a flood of criticism but I really wish the game developers would allow something like rear snapviews in VR, to help people who cant turn their head like an owl, due to age or disability.  Its not cheating imho.  In real world, you rely on peripheral vision to check your six without turning your head the full 180.  But current VR technology has a limited FOV and a very blurred peripheral view outside the sweet spot.  This can be very limiting if age/disability doesnt alllow you to turn your head 180.  Sure, IRL you wouldnt make the grade as a fighter pilot if health/age/disability limited you.  But this is not the real world.  Its a game and should be as inclusive as it can.  TIR users can use snapviews if they chose, but the game discriminates against VR users (with disabilities) in this respect.

• Like 1
J2_NobiWan
44 minutes ago, 334th_Biffa said:

@J2_NobiWan  Sorry to persist but (long shot) would it work with OpenXR?

To be honest up to now I didn't look into OpenXR at all. I'm not even sure if I understand what it really does. :)  But a quick google showed that OpenXR seems to not have implemented the overlay layer yet, which is not a good sign...

Player_39854
20 hours ago, J2_NobiWan said:

To be honest up to now I didn't look into OpenXR at all. I'm not even sure if I understand what it really does. :)  But a quick google showed that OpenXR seems to not have implemented the overlay layer yet, which is not a good sign...

Thanks @J2_NobiWan.  I have tried your mod on SteamVR and it is an excellent thing you have done.  I just wish my FPS didnt tank when using SteamVR

I might test it in Open XR just to be sure  (edited) - My bad.  OpenXR is a tool for WMD, not Oculus platforms or games running OpenVR.api (I think)

Edited by 334th_Biffa
  • Like 1
ACG_Snowy

Thank you NobiWan, just installed your wonderful utility and it works a treat. I and my old neck thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
TheBishop

this is all fine and dandy.  why is there no readme file?  so i KNOW WHERE TO INSTALL THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOA_Firebird_

I feel glad for those who can enjoy this program and saves his neck, i cant use it because SteamVR drinks my memory and my game run at low FPS ( i had to use opencomposite).

S.

J2_NobiWan
1 hour ago, TheBishop said:

this is all fine and dandy.  why is there no readme file?  so i KNOW WHERE TO INSTALL THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A strange way to ask for help...😉

You can unzip the files to a folder wherever you like and run it from there.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
Ryanair_MilitantPotato

Any way to add an option to turn off auto-rotate when your head is above the the horizon by X degrees? When trying to track something above me it spazzes out if I look left or right a bit. I tried the hold feature and though it works, I'd rather have a dome above my head of like 30* of no auto snapping.

Thanks again for all of your hard work, I recommend this to every VR player I chat with.

Charlo-VR

Hi @J2_NobiWan,

Your software and support are wonderful!  Here's a question I've wondered about for awhile.

I use and prefer "Accumulative" mode. When in Accumulative mode the Calibration area and "Set Reset Button" options are greyed out.

Often after a dogfight or intense ground-pounding action I find that I have completely lost track of how many degrees I have accumulated in one direction or another. For example, when I peek out from my Reverb G2 HMD I may see that I am at 540 or more degrees.

When I have lost track and accumulated that many degrees, and then press my default VR view button on my HOTAS to recenter my view, I find that my VR view is somewhat askew. The only fix I have found is to lift up my HMD so I can see how many degrees positive or negative I am from 0 degrees, then reverse the degrees I am at until NeckSafer returns to 0 degrees, then press my default VR view button on my HOTAS for a perfect view forward again.

Is there a better way to zero out or immediately set to 0 degrees when in Accumulative mode? Ideally I'd like to bind my default VR view button on my HOTAS so that it also zeroes out whatever accumulation I have added in NeckSafer.

But perhaps there is a technical reason why that isn't possible. If so, I'll keep peeking out from my HMD to see if I have returned NeckSafer back to 0 degrees.

J2_NobiWan
On 4/8/2021 at 4:45 AM, Ryanair_MilitantPotato said:

Any way to add an option to turn off auto-rotate when your head is above the the horizon by X degrees? When trying to track something above me it spazzes out if I look left or right a bit. I tried the hold feature and though it works, I'd rather have a dome above my head of like 30* of no auto snapping.

Thanks again for all of your hard work, I recommend this to every VR player I chat with.

That should be doable. I'll try do implement it in the next version.

9 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

Is there a better way to zero out or immediately set to 0 degrees when in Accumulative mode? Ideally I'd like to bind my default VR view button on my HOTAS so that it also zeroes out whatever accumulation I have added in NeckSafer.

Hi Charlo-VR,

yes, you are right. Should have make the accumulative angle reset with the reset button right from the start. Thanks for the idea, will be included into the next version. :)

• Thanks 1
J2_NobiWan
Posted (edited)

Updated first page:

Update v2.06:
 - corrected error in translation when HMD misalignment is big (for IL-2)
 - reset button resets accumulative offset
 - added pitch limit (options menu). When HMD pitch (looking up) is bigger than limit, autorot goes on hold. Default is 90 deg = not effective

known issues:
still problems with Valve Index and DCS. (On hold for now unfortunately. Just can't find a way to debug this without access to an Index... 🥴)

Let me know if I broke something! :)

Cheers,

J2_NobiWan

Edited by J2_NobiWan
  • Like 1
vrFlyer3
4 hours ago, J2_NobiWan said:

Updated first page:

Update v2.06:
 - added pitch limit (options menu). When HMD pitch (looking up) is bigger than limit, autorot goes on hold. Default is 90 deg = not effective

known issues:
still problems with Valve Index and DCS. (On hold for now unfortunately. Just can't find a way to debug this without access to an Index... 🥴)

Cheers,

J2_NobiWan

Re Valve Index: Would it help to provide some sort of debug output file of the hmd values/rotations?  Or even a live discord debug session?

• Like 1
Charlo-VR
9 hours ago, J2_NobiWan said:

Updated first page:

Update v2.06:

known issues:

Cheers,

J2_NobiWan

Fantastic, thanks so much for adding "reset button resets accumulative offset", and so quickly, too - it works perfectly! 

I spent some time trying to formulate my request so that it makes sense, and it appears it did 🤓

• Like 1
Nanolab
On 4/10/2021 at 8:35 PM, vrFlyer3 said:

Re Valve Index: Would it help to provide some sort of debug output file of the hmd values/rotations?  Or even a live discord debug session?

If needed I can help too, got Index, DCS and IL2 too...

• Like 1
J2_NobiWan
On 4/10/2021 at 8:35 PM, vrFlyer3 said:

12 minutes ago, Nanolab said:

If needed I can help too, got Index, DCS and IL2 too...

Alright then... I'll be coming back to you guys! :)

• Thanks 1
Friction

I do not know if anyone gets this: when running VR with the NeckSafer program for IL-2, when I turn my head to look right (or left) from between about 35 to 90 degrees, there is a very subtle "jump" or "skip" of tracking with my G2 Reverb, but I do not loose the tracking.  I do not know how to explain this, but the tracking sort of gets a little jumpy when I go between those angles.  Anyone else gets this, or do you all get smooth tracking 360 degrees around when using the program?  Note: this does not happen at all when I am not using the NeckSafer program....

Edited by Friction
J2_NobiWan

Did you enable autorotation? Than of course there is a jump when adding the offset at certain angles... A video might help to better understand what you are seeing.